Video Game News and Miscellany

EA has already sacked and thoroughly destroyed so many good gaming companies... there is no punishment harsh enough for them.

Does Activision have a similar record for acquisition and destruction?

Does Activision have a similar record for acquisition and destruction?
The only evidence for that would be Guitar Hero (which is debatable, since the whole genre dried up - possibly due to Activision's mismanagement) and Call of Duty (which is entirely subjective - some people love it, some hate it). I would say that Activision doesn't have nearly the same record of acquisition and destruction, but that doesn't mean they won't start now.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yay! Batman: Arkham Asylum confirmed to be single-player only
I applaud a game that isn't giving into the pressure to have multiplayer just to have multiplayer (especially competitive multiplayer). I'll admit that I was kind of intrigued by the possibility of a co-op mode, but ultimately I'm glad the time that might have been spent making that work is instead being spent on the core game.

I preordered Portal 2 yesterday! Despite the fact that I know it will be an incredible game, even just going on Valve's pedigree, the fact that it costs full retail gave me momentary pause. Then I smiled broadly and realized how huge a game it would ave to be. :)

J

Jiarn

Only games I've payed full retail for in the past year are Cataclsym and DC:U.... I'm such an MMO whore....

It was just weird to think for even a second that I wouldn't get MUCH MORE than $45 of entertainment out of Portal 2.

J

Jiarn

I only did those two because I had saved the Cataclysm funds for about 6 months, and I was able to get DC:U because I got a bonus on my check this month. Normally, if you read the other thread, I can't afford squat....

That was pretty much my reaction when I posted it up on Facebook. This games been in limbo for over 3 years though... and they say they can get it out this year? I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh shit gusto. That made me all kinds of weepy. I'm about to go to band practice and I'm supposed to be all "bad-ass" now I'm weepy.

Call of Duty (which is entirely subjective - some people love it, some hate it). I would say that Activision doesn't have nearly the same record of acquisition and destruction, but that doesn't mean they won't start now.
Considering what happened with the studio behind CoD i'd say it counts...

J

Jiarn

So I'm curious what trailer was posted, since I can't see video at work.

Considering what happened with the studio behind CoD i'd say it counts...
Electronic Arts has personally destroyed:

Origin Systems,
Westwood Studios,
Maxis,
Pandemic Studios,
Bullfrog,

...and many more that I'm not really familiar with. They are evil

Activision has folded a few... but not as many as EA. I keep worrying that EA will fold up Bioware the same way... always makes me a bit edgy.

EA might have a head start, but if read about the clusterfuck that is the Infinity Ward debacle Activision are playing catchup hard...

And Westwood screwed themselves over even before EA bought them... it's a shame what they did to CnC though.

Sorry, I worked for MicroProse. They destroyed themselves. I have never worked for a more disorganized studio. They imploded all on there own.

figmentPez

Staff member
Telltale Games is announcing five new projects this week. Two of them are apparently The Walking Dead and Fables.

Can't say that I care about either franchise, but they seem like good titles for Telltale to test their abilities on, and stretch their limits a little.

I worked primarily on Falcon 4. Ugh, that was a product in development hell for over a year. They scrapped the whole game 3 times and started over from scratch. Not the way to develop a game.

I wish I had been there in the height of X-com. That was a classy game.

Telltale Games is announcing five new projects this week. Two of them are apparently The Walking Dead and Fables.

Can't say that I care about either franchise, but they seem like good titles for Telltale to test their abilities on, and stretch their limits a little.
Damn, those two sound good. Assuming it's of the usual Telltale quality, I'm looking forward to those two games.

I know people that prefer L4D1 because it plays slightly different.And it's kinda shitty of Valve to leave these people behind.

Heh, i knew my strategy of waiting and only getting the 2nd game would pay off though...

I know people that prefer L4D1 because it plays slightly different.And it's kinda shitty of Valve to leave these people behind.

Heh, i knew my strategy of waiting and only getting the 2nd game would pay off though...
I think some people prefer Left 4 Dead 1 because it's much easier and more formulaic, especially in Versus. Every climax has a strategy that will work near 100% of the time and it's quite hard to lose unless somebody isn't trying. Left 4 dead 2 is much more wild and dynamic, with lots more opportunities for intelligent players to take advantage of the environment.

That's not to say Left 4 Dead 1 is a bad game, because it isn't, but Left 4 Dead 2 improves on the design in just about every way.

J

Jiarn

They wanted people to stop playing L4D1 when they added the original survivors and a L4D1 campaign to L4D2.

AshburnerX pretty much nailed why L4D1 is a terrible game to VS at all in the recent months. Almost every game, every map, ends the same ways.

I hope the new DLC comes with some more L4D1 converted maps.

They wanted people to stop playing L4D1 when they added the original survivors and a L4D1 campaign to L4D2.

AshburnerX pretty much nailed why L4D1 is a terrible game to VS at all in the recent months. Almost every game, every map, ends the same ways.

I hope the new DLC comes with some more L4D1 converted maps.
The new DLC is already slated to have all of the L4D1 campaigns that weren't already converted to L4D2. That's the easy part. The hard part is balancing Cold Stream, the new community campaign, so they are having an open beta for it.

Regardless, this is some months away. We know for sure it won't be out until after Portal 2 ships, but that's about it.

J

Jiarn

The days where I can play through Dead Air again with melee weapons this time are ones I'll cherish forever. -grin-

IMO i got the feeling they wanted people to stop them playing L4D1 when they announced L4D2...

I think some people prefer Left 4 Dead 1 because it's much easier and more formulaic, especially in Versus.
I recall thinking when i started playing L4D2 that it feels different when you shoot and other small stuff like that.

The other things you mentioned are simply map design flaws and gaps in special infected gameplay that they fixed by adding the new ones etc. Nothing they couldn't fix with the previous game, in an expansion or a big content patch...

I really do wonder why they went with a whole new game instead...
Added at: 16:43
The days where I can play through Dead Air again with melee weapons this time are ones I'll cherish forever. -grin-
If you want there are fan made original maps that are pretty much the same...

The link to them i had is down though... know anywhere i can upload about 780mb of maps?