Video Game News and Miscellany

I quit a long time before that. Was just before the second expansion. Was almost to 60, I think, and doing another one of those "kill X chaos orcs and come back here" quests and it suddenly occurred to me that if I had to kill one more stupid chaos orc I was going to vomit.
I told Pauline as much, we said goodbye to our guild and cancelled our accounts, and never looked back. The grind just got too fucking ridiculous. And from that day on, I could never bring myself to PVE grind. The only MMO I played since was Warhammer Online, and even then, I leveled up exclusively by killing other players and the quests/objectives related to doing so. Mostly by taking a castle away from the other player faction and then staying to defend it when they came to take it back. Eventually EA ruined it, as they do everything they touch. Guild Wars 2 filled the gap for a little bit, but it was balanced too heavily in favor of attackers (defending any objective was always a losing proposition, and raw numbers/population trumped tactics every time), so we quit that, and I haven't done the MMO thing ever since, abarring the brief couple hours I spent finding out I didn't care for Rift, Aion, Tera, or Wildstar.
We did play Guild Wars 2 though.

The RvRvR was fun, I did mostly that.... but man did we have a shit server.

Wait that new Mirror's Edge game is a fuckin' reboot? They made one game! Fuck sakes EA. Also, cutting out Rhianna Pratchett and all of the original team is such an EA thing to do.

Wait that new Mirror's Edge game is a fuckin' reboot? They made one game! Fuck sakes EA. Also, cutting out Rhianna Pratchett and all of the original team is such an EA thing to do.

Had they worked on the sequel at all or were they cut out completely from the beginning?

Check out how sweet Batman Arkham Knight isn't going to look on your console or PC without about a thousand dollars of upgrades.

Check out how sweet Batman Arkham Knight isn't going to look on your console or PC without about a thousand dollars of upgrades.

You know, I had the same experience with Arkham Asylum. Played it on PC with a video card that didn't support the new (at the time) nvidia physX technology, and didn't really know the difference. Then later, got a fancy new video card, and was blown away by all the fog that swirled around you and shit, and breaking tiles in the morgue.

You know, I had the same experience with Arkham Asylum. Played it on PC with a video card that didn't support the new (at the time) nvidia physX technology, and didn't really know the difference. Then later, got a fancy new video card, and was blown away by all the fog that swirled around you and shit, and breaking tiles in the morgue.
The DX11 features were really shining there.

That's officially the first game that looks most like Transformers that I've ever seen. I'm suddenly interested. I haven't really played many TF games.

I liked the PS2 Transformers game. It was janky and weird and based on the shittiest toyline they ever did (Armada) but it was hard as balls and pretty fun overall. The fight against Tidal Wave was pretty epic for it's time.

The fight isn't as easy as this guy makes it out to be, he has a weapons loadout that isn't possible when you first have to fight Tidal Wave.

Yeah Armada wasn't bad, but the Cybertron games are easily the best thing to happen to the TF games. Sadly High Moon's Deadpool game bombed and they were dumped down to Call of Duty mapmapkers or something like that.

So, Best Buy Canada confirmed that Transformers Devastation is a full priced Platinum Games produced game (so hopefully more of a budget than the Korra game).

More Information
  • Autobots face off against the Decepticons when Megatron discovers a way to harness the enormous power of plasma energy to cyberform Earth
  • PlatinumGames signature fast action allows instant robot to vehicle attacks, slam downs, counterattacks, and infinite combos for a unique master combat system
  • Features 5 playable Autobots including Optimus Prime, Bubblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, and Grimlock
  • A deep customization system and 5 difficulty levels with overhauls in enemy composition deliver hours of intense gameplay
  • Actors from the original TV series reprising their roles include Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), Dan Gilvezan (Bubblebee), Frank Welker (Megatron and Soundwave), and more
A bunch of the still alive VAs from the OG series is pretty fucking awesome too. Although I wish Peter Cullen could de-age and still do Optimus Prime John Wayne style like he used to.

So, Best Buy Canada confirmed that Transformers Devastation is a full priced Platinum Games produced game (so hopefully more of a budget than the Korra game).

More Information
  • Autobots face off against the Decepticons when Megatron discovers a way to harness the enormous power of plasma energy to cyberform Earth
  • PlatinumGames signature fast action allows instant robot to vehicle attacks, slam downs, counterattacks, and infinite combos for a unique master combat system
  • Features 5 playable Autobots including Optimus Prime, Bubblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, and Grimlock
  • A deep customization system and 5 difficulty levels with overhauls in enemy composition deliver hours of intense gameplay
  • Actors from the original TV series reprising their roles include Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), Dan Gilvezan (Bubblebee), Frank Welker (Megatron and Soundwave), and more
A bunch of the still alive VAs from the OG series is pretty fucking awesome too. Although I wish Peter Cullen could de-age and still do Optimus Prime John Wayne style like he used to.

e: I do agree with you on Cullen, though. The more gravelly, deeper voice he has now works great for the newer versions of Prime, but G1 is going to sound a little weird. Welker's TF Prime Megatron was pretty close to the original, though, so I'm not even worried about that.

The saddest part will be hearing someone else as Starscream and Jazz, though.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Pauline would have made sure we tried this. The Skaven were her favorite warhammer thing.

Multiplayer co-op vs hordes of skaven in the warhammer Endtimes: Vermintide.

Thank goodness this IP got taken away from EA.

Apparently, unless the Shenmue kickstarter makes it to 10 million, it won't be open world.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1067382

The whole thing has been a cloudy mess. And then Jeremy Parish basically nailed it.

I can't really blame him for that. Doing a wide open world takes serious money and resources... and two million was NEVER going to cut that. It was simply going to be enough to get us a satisfying conclusion to the story, which was more than we were going to get otherwise. I suspect we're going to hit at least 5 million, which is certainly going to be enough for something GOOD but I went into this expecting at least a bit of a genre shift.

http://tale-of-tales.com/Sunset/blog/index.php/and-the-sun-sets/

Indie developer Tale of Tales, creators of The Path and recent release Sunset, is shutting down.

I never like hearing about a studio shutting down. :(
While I'm sorry they went out of business, I am not at all surprised. They always leaned more heavily on the "art" part of Art Games, which kept them from getting the kind of success they needed to keep growing. Unfortunately, we don't have the kind of community to support right now.

Kotaku's (or rather Luke Plunkett's) take on the Tale of Tales closing: The Problem of Games Being Art, but Also Products.

The game’s fate, and that of Tale of Tales, has led to some soul-searching amongst prominent indie developers, and for good reason: what are current or aspiring devs to take away from events like this? How can they survive as developers working on games as (SORRY) art, and not have to dilute or alter their designs simply in order to reach a market and thus make money? What does it mean when a game resonates with the press but can’t find an audience?
It means the press needs to understand that the people most passionate about games (and especially games as art) aren't the people who keep the industry going... but more to the point, that this is a problem with ALL artistic endeavor. How many writers get published? Of those who get published, how many make enough to write full time? Of those who write full time, how many are writing about something they actually care about? Why would this be any different for people making games?

I've spent something like a half hour on this second part of the post to say something MEANINGFUL about the artistic process and it's connection to consumer culture, but I can't. I'm sorry that it's hard to be an artist, but it's hard to be ANYTHING in a world where the oligarchy only values things that directly enrich themselves.

it's hard to be ANYTHING in a world where the oligarchy only values things that directly enrich themselves.
There is a sort of "crashing wave" mechanic going on in entertainment right now, where you're either going full bore on the crest spending millions of dollars, or else you're a nobody way down below, barely moving. And that wave keeps getting taller, so you have to keep spending more to stay up on top of the break.

--Patrick