Video Game News and Miscellany

I'll believe that Star Wars game looks that good when it's actually released, and speaking of games that are barely functional at launch, it's by DICE!

DICE games are amazing...if/when they're fully patched, the servers are stable, and you're not being bombarded by DLC offers.[DOUBLEPOST=1429305642,1429305558][/DOUBLEPOST]Just tell yourself that you don't want to invest in the video card setup required for it to look that good, and you should feel better.

GTA V is not an MMO

That said, fine, everyone wants to again focus on one thing I said and not talk about the actual issue I brought up - we all just accept a bunch of crap now that would've raised a furor 10 years ago. Not only in games, either, but whatever.
I've had no problems whatsoever with the GTA V launch. I understand that some people have, but as has been stated, Half Life 2 didn't work either when it first launched. And people did complain, and yet it's still considered one of the best games of all time. No one remembers the rocky start it had, instead they remember how good the game was.

Sorry I just can't get mad. Always online? My internet went out the other night (good job, Verizon) and I still had no problem playing the game, it just automatically booted into offline mode. I just couldn't access the online stuff, which, you know, is expected.

Compare that to Sim City, where you couldn't play at all without an internet connection, and they start to look like apples and oranges.

GasBandit

Staff member
You never, ever respond in an official capacity with a personal point of view. That's just common knowledge. Even if it IS in response to the stupid "recreationally offended" PoE trans non-scandal.

You never, ever respond in an official capacity with a personal point of view. That's just common knowledge. Even if it IS in response to the stupid "recreationally offended" PoE trans non-scandal.
In all my years as a customer service representative, that is one thing that you learn as a core tenant of what you don't do on the phone. I would have fired this guy on the spot if this came to light.

In all my years as a customer service representative, that is one thing that you learn as a core tenant of what you don't do on the phone. I would have fired this guy on the spot if this came to light.
It's very much come to light now. No chance GoG doesn't fire him.

Something a little more local:
Auto Shop owner will deny 'openly gay' customers
...I know it's not video game-related, but doing something like this is exactly the way you lose business, possibly all of it forever. I'm sure GoG will take steps, and others will take notice, and this person's valiant "sacrifice" will serve to educate many others who may have otherwise acted on their questionable ideas.

--Patrick

Three things:
A) Obviously s/he shouldn't have voiced his personal opinion in an official capacity
B) The message isn't exactly all that hateful, though; uninformed, yes, and unemphatic, but he's saying "I don't really see why you should feel offended", he's not saying "I don't care that you get attacked/discriminated/etc"
C) I'm fairly sure GOG support is located in Poland. I think you guys are facing a cultural difference here, as well - do remember that Poland is one of few Western countries with a devout catholic majority, with laws against open homosexuality in some regions, with strong limits on free speech, and so forth. What he said and the way he said it is fairly tolerant and open by Polish measures. I'm not excusing him/her or saying s/he doesn't deserve a reprimand, I'm just saying you should be careful judging across cultures. For a somewhat more extreme example, saying "I think Jews don't deserve to die, but it would be fair and easy to group them in separate quarters" is horribly hateful and bigoted in modern day America, but is pretty much left wing rhetoric on the streets of some of the Arabic countries still.

Also killed off the company.[DOUBLEPOST=1429583964,1429583790][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'll wait until more news comes out. From what I read, significant changes from Battlefront 2.
We're not even getting space combat right out of the gate. It's planned DLC.

GasBandit

Staff member
Kerbal Space Program is supposed to launch (as in version 1.0, no longer early access) next week.

I might start playing again, now that I can have a reasonable expectation of no more new game modes that invalidate my saves!

Mighty No. 9's psychotic community manager is finally out. Is it too little, too late?
Yeah, we posted about this in the Kickstarter thread. I kind of detest how she's just throwing around the GG tag like it's the cause of all of her problems, when it's really just that she abused her authority time and time again. A lot of the fan community moved to third party sites just to get away from her and it's really fractured the community... and it certainly wasn't appropriate for an ex-community manager to to start talking shit as she's being kicked out the door. This is probably going to be her last high profile job in the industry.

I don't think the game even looks all that great anyway, so her being there or not ends up not mattering much.

I've been planning to buy it no matter what because Capcom won't make another Mega Man game, but that trailer gets my hopes up a little that the game will also emphasize the levels themselves as an obstacle and not just the enemies filling those levels.

Now I'm just hoping it will be great like Shovel Knight, and not a disappointment like Azure Striker Gunvolt.

I dunno, it just looks so bland to me. Like they put too much effort into making it look smooth and shiny, to the point it doesn't have any character to it like Mega Man, Shovel Knight, the Shantae games, or the GBA/DS Castlevanias. It just doesn't look like there's any heart to it.

I was really hoping to see it come to life in a more 2D fashion, an emphasis on things like idle animations, smoothness of overall movement, and things happening in the background of the stages. Instead it just looks like another $20 Steam shovelware platformer to me.

I dunno, it just looks so bland to me. Like they put too much effort into making it look smooth and shiny, to the point it doesn't have any character to it like Mega Man, Shovel Knight, the Shantae games, or the GBA/DS Castlevanias. It just doesn't look like there's any heart to it.

I was really hoping to see it come to life in a more 2D fashion, an emphasis on things like idle animations, smoothness of overall movement, and things happening in the background of the stages. Instead it just looks like another $20 Steam shovelware platformer to me.
I'm talking the gameplay, not the look. I wish it was pixel art and not 3D, but eh? If we ever get a new Mega Man game, I'd expect the same. Mega Man 9 and 10 were throwbacks, but if Capcom ever did an actual new game, it would probably be polygons and look sleek.

Side-note: since they're doing another Mega May on Nintendo's VC, I'm hoping May's Monster Hunter DLC will be for getting the Mega Man outfit.