Video Game News and Miscellany

Yoshi's Woolly World coming in Fall this year, along with three yarn Yoshi Amiibos.

Mewtwo and Lucas coming for Sm4sh, MT in April and Lucas in June. Amiibos for both coming eventually.

Splatoon Amiibos, adding new weapons and such. Launching the same day as Splatoon, May 29th.

N64 and DS games coming to the Virtual Console.[DOUBLEPOST=1427927604,1427927184][/DOUBLEPOST]@Zero Esc SMTxFE TRAILER IN NINTENDO DIRECT FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSS

More Nintendo stuff!

Xenoblade Chronicles for New 3DS, April 10th. Adding some small things like a sound mode and such.

New Fire Emblem news: MC is again custom like Awakening, but this time is the actual MC, as opposed to second fiddle to someone else.[DOUBLEPOST=1427928228,1427928167][/DOUBLEPOST]
FUCKING FIRE EMBLEM TRAILER. IF I WAS A DUDE I'D HAVE THE BIGGEST BONER.

:p
I've got you covered.

Also, those Japanese voices, PLEASE LET ME USE THEM IN THE NA RELEASE.[DOUBLEPOST=1427928542][/DOUBLEPOST]More good news! Mario Kart 8's Animal Crossing DLC got bumped up to end of April.[DOUBLEPOST=1427928788][/DOUBLEPOST]200cc mode for MK8, holy shit.

So from what I can gather of the conversations, you have immediate family/relatives/very close relations (multiple characters referring to you as onii-san/sama) on both sides of this war, and are forced to choose who to follow.

Holy shit. You might be killing family in this game.

Mewtwo and Lucas coming for Sm4sh, MT in April and Lucas in June. Amiibos for both coming eventually.
You skipped the craziest part of the Smash Bros news--they're going to do a ballot box for people to write in for the next six DLC characters. That's fucking nuts.

@Zero Esc SMTxFE TRAILER IN NINTENDO DIRECT FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSSSS
On the one hand: YESSSSSS and I must watch the trailer again.

On the other hand, no more info than that :(. Want so bad.

The Fire Emblem trailer was fantastic. And it's not coming until 2016, which normally I'd bitch about, but this year is too full for me as it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1427931257,1427931174][/DOUBLEPOST]
Holy shit. You might be killing family in this game.
Eh, if you're bad at Fire Emblem, you were doing that when they were on your side in other games :p. The Nintendo Direct implied the secondary main character as a bad thing for Awakening, but I actually really liked the dynamic of having Chrom and MC/Robin. The whole joined destinies theme made it work.

Alright, I need some suggestions here: I'm looking for a mech-based game where you can customize your own mechs, that's available on PC, that's suitable for a filthy casual.

It doesn't have to be recent, but I don't want to have to download a bunch of emulators or support software, either.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I need some suggestions here: I'm looking for a mech-based game where you can customize your own mechs, that's available on PC, that's suitable for a filthy casual.

It doesn't have to be recent, but I don't want to have to download a bunch of emulators or support software, either.
Well, do you like your mechs slow and stompy or fast and FPSy?

If you like them slow and stompy, Mechwarrior Online is still a thing, available free on PC, suitable for filthy casuals, with extreme amounts of available customization. Granted, I can't stand the game any more, but I still have friends who play it and who have dropped hundreds of dollars on cosmetics and hero mechs.

If you want your mechs faster and more shootery rather than more slow and tanky, you could give Hawken a try.

And there's a sort of wildcard called Robocraft that lets you custom build a vehicle and go into team arena matches vs other people's custom built vehicles.[DOUBLEPOST=1427939588,1427939558][/DOUBLEPOST]
FUCKING FIRE EMBLEM TRAILER. IF I WAS A DUDE I'D HAVE THE BIGGEST BONER.

:p
Hashtag ladyboner.

Well, do you like your mechs slow and stompy or fast and FPSy?

If you like them slow and stompy, Mechwarrior Online is still a thing, available free on PC, suitable for filthy casuals, with extreme amounts of available customization. Granted, I can't stand the game any more, but I still have friends who play it and who have dropped hundreds of dollars on cosmetics and hero mechs.

If you want your mechs faster and more shootery rather than more slow and tanky, you could give Hawken a try.

And there's a sort of wildcard called Robocraft that lets you custom build a vehicle and go into team arena matches vs other people's custom built vehicles.[DOUBLEPOST=1427939588,1427939558][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hashtag ladyboner.
Basically I don't want something multiplayer or online at all. I'm looking for something like Armored Core 3 and Front Mission - single player, possibly tactical. I suck at FPS's - as anyone that I played TF2 with will remember.

More Nintendo stuff--turns out with the end of Club Nintendo, the rewards aren't over with. If you attained Gold or Platinum status, you can get a free game. Odds are most of us have what we'd want from there, but Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is on the list. I think this is the first time something I was going to eventually purchase with money and hadn't already bought has ended up as a Club Nintendo reward, so that's cool for me. Other rewards:

Platinum titles:
  • Mario Party: Island Tour for 3DS
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 for 3DS
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf for 3DS
  • Mario Golf: World Tour for 3DS
  • Mario Kart 7 for 3DS
  • Yoshi's New Island for 3DS
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for Wii U
  • NES Remix 2 for Wii U
  • Punch-Out!! for Wii U
  • Pushmo World for Wii U
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii U
  • Ultimate NES Remix for 3DS
Gold titles:
  • Crashmo for 3DS
  • Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! for 3DS
  • Pushmo for 3DS
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 for 3DS
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for 3DS
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages for 3DS
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons for 3DS
  • Mysterious Murasame Castle for 3DS
  • Advance Wars for Wii U
  • The Legend of Zelda for Wii U
  • Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga for Wii U
  • Metroid Fusion for Wii U
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels for Wii U
  • Super Mario Kart for Wii U
  • WarioWare Inc.: Mega Microgames! for Wii U
  • Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 for Wii U

So, with the game still two weeks away, Rockstar has finally put out the official GTA V PC trailer, in full 1080p and 60fps. I'll be embedding the youtube version for convenience, but I recommend going to www.rockstar.com to watch it in their player (should be right on the front page) to avoid youtube compression, and I'm not sure if Firefox does 60fps youtube videos yet. Regardless of which you watch, make sure to fullscreen it and turn the quality all the way up.

Dat framerate tho!

So, with the game still two weeks away, Rockstar has finally put out the official GTA V PC trailer, in full 1080p and 60fps. I'll be embedding the youtube version for convenience, but I recommend going to www.rockstar.com to watch it in their player (should be right on the front page) to avoid youtube compression, and I'm not sure if Firefox does 60fps youtube videos yet. Regardless of which you watch, make sure to fullscreen it and turn the quality all the way up.

Dat framerate tho!
I'm one of those people that honestly can't tell the difference between 720p/1080p and 30fps/60fps.

I'm one of those people that honestly can't tell the difference between 720p/1080p and 30fps/60fps.
If you don't have a large enough or high resolution enough monitor, there effectively is no difference. I think with TVs they used to say that if it wasn't at least 29", it wouldn't make any apparent difference, but I know with monitors the scale is different.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth is at last getting released on Wii U and ... New 3DS. (Not original 3DS ... why?) More surprising, it won't be censored in any way by Nintendo.

This is big for me because while I play it on PS4, it feels more like a game I'd turn on when I've got 15 minutes to kill on the bus, so I'll be getting that once it's out and I have money.

Also, Amiibo people--pre-orders are going live today and tomorrow. I'm not sure there will be any Robin or Lucina ones left once Gamestop.com gets its shit together. Amazon appears already sold out on Lucina. Jigglypuff is Target exclusive and Greninja is Toys R Us exclusive.

If you don't have a large enough or high resolution enough monitor, there effectively is no difference. I think with TVs they used to say that if it wasn't at least 29", it wouldn't make any apparent difference, but I know with monitors the scale is different.
I have a giant, 1080p monitor with my gaming rig and watched the video in full screen. Still don't see the big hullabaloo.

GasBandit

Staff member
My monitor is only 26 inches and I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, and in any given video I can tell a world of difference between 30 and 60fps.

If you can't tell the difference, why go for a top end monitor?
It was on sale on Boxing Day when I had ordered my new computer. And it still makes ALL games look amazing, anyway.

I read somewhere that some people just can't tell the difference. I guess I'm one of them.

My husband spent the first two years of his job picking out video artifacts and things. He is now impossible to watch things with because he notices all visual imperfections.

It's the framerate that is really noticeable. 30 vs 60 fps looks a hell of a lot different, just look at all the people that complained about The Hobbit being in 48fps. Though, I've heard that there are some people that can't see beyond a certain framerate, and I feel sad for those.

60 fps looks so much better than 30, I can't describe the difference. Though, the difference isn't as profound when going from 60 to 120.

figmentPez

Staff member
My monitor is only 26 inches and I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, and in any given video I can tell a world of difference between 30 and 60fps.
I can tell the difference on my 21" monitor. Granted, once you get past 1366x768, I don't find it a marked difference, but I can still see it. The step up from 1280x720 to 1366x768, however, is a pretty big one to my eyes.

Any time someone gives an exact size in inches, I roll my eyes. A 21" monitor at 2' away covers more of your field of view than a 60" television screen does from 6' away.

It depends on an individual's eyes, the distance from the screen, the screen size, the source material, and probably a whole lot more.

My husband spent the first two years of his job picking out video artifacts and things. He is now impossible to watch things with because he notices all visual imperfections.
I've spent so much time doing various QC-related things that I'm often that guy.
I do try to keep it to just the occasional grunt so I don't ruin things for others, though.

--Patrick

Here i how the new Fire Emblem's release is breaking down for Japan:

- Main game releases: Two different versions a la Pokemon, one being the Hashido storyline, one being the Nohr storyline.

- DLC 1: If you purchased one campaign, you can buy the other at a lower price as DLC, so there's no need to buy both. So if you bought the Hashido version, either from the store or the eshop, you can then download the Nohr campaign as DLC.

- DLC 2: A third campaign, likely a neutral path (Fire Emblem people spent too much time with Shin Megami Tensei people). You can't buy this one alone; you must already own either the Hashido version or Nohr version.

- Special Edition: Contains all three campaigns, and at a crucial point in the story, you will choose which path to take (apparently each campaign is the same until chapter 6, and then on through the next 20 chapters depends on your choice).

My guess is that each DLC will be a reduced price and that the Special Edition will probably be $60 equivalent. If it is, I'm okay with that; if it's more, I'm not sure. While I don't feel this is so shady since usually a Fire Emblem game is a linear campaign, no differences, no choices, I feel like it's going to be confusing for people and that is irksome.

Since I played through Awakening multiple times anyway and probably will again before this one comes out, getting the Special Edition makes the most sense to me as I'd rather have the whole thing.

If the special edition comes out after the rest, I will just buy it piecemeal because I needs my precious. I'm way too impatient to wait.

If the special edition comes out after the rest, I will just buy it piecemeal because I needs my precious. I'm way too impatient to wait.
Yeah it goes against what I normally do for this kind of release, but I don't know that I'll be able to help myself.

It's about as far from fun as a game gets, but I like doing things that aren't just watching animated gifs.
I disagree. Five Nights is like a well crafted puzzle: the fun and challenge is in figuring out how all the elements in play interact with each other in order to figure out the optimal solution. The problem is, once you've done this, the fun is GONE. It just becomes rout to get to the finish at that point.

So yes, it's fun, but only until you figure it out.

I disagree. Five Nights is like a well crafted puzzle: the fun and challenge is in figuring out how all the elements in play interact with each other in order to figure out the optimal solution. The problem is, once you've done this, the fun is GONE. It just becomes rout to get to the finish at that point.

So yes, it's fun, but only until you figure it out.
It's a better game to watch someone else play. It's one of a new line of games that was made pretty much exclusively for YouTube Letsplayers

It's a better game to watch someone else play. It's one of a new line of games that was made pretty much exclusively for YouTube Letsplayers
Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think the major drawing point ended up being folks trying to piece together the lore/backstory/what's happening next of the series. The creator dropped little hints all over the place as opposed to just exposition vomit, and people had to really put in some time and effort to find everything and piece it all together.

He never asked for this, but I did.

[DOUBLEPOST=1428511772,1428511629][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, there's some ups and armsness over CD Projekt Red announcing a 25 dollar expansion for their upcoming Witcher 3. People whining that they claimed they wouldn't charge for DLC. They're not. There's something like 60 free extras they're apparently getting ready for Witcher 3 that won't cost us anything. Crap like horse armor and the such. Stuff that most companies (Evolve) charge stupid amounts of money for. What CDPR is charging for is a 20+ hour, proper expansion, like we used to get back in the good old days.