Video Game News and Miscellany

The fuck is this? American revolution? Jesus Christ, anything but Americana.
Added at: 16:38
American Creed

There was a picture in AC2 of George Washington holding an Apple.

Somehow.

I'm less disappointed that it's taking place in the American Revolution than I am that they're continuing to move toward modern day within the Animus. The Animus could have an important ancestor exist anywhere, at anytime. Some Assassin in ancient Greece could've known something about finding one of the temples. Or someone in medieval Japan could've held the key to finding a piece of Eden. It's almost limitless, and yet we keep pushing forward on a linear chronology.

As a recent recipient of this kind of nonsense I have this to say about this video: It's a *bleep* *bleep* video for *bleep* *bleep* .

Honestly, if this wasn't understood that I mocking the use of language like this on the internet, that's what it was and if you were offended, that's no how I meant it and I'm sorry.

I was mostly referring to shit like this: https://www.halforums.com/threads/mass-effect-3-anticipation-station.25215/page-14#post-914443
Added at: 15:12
Is Frankie having some kind of seizure or something?
I take it you've never read Kotaku.

So, you're a native in American Creed 3? Wearing white uniforms like that?

How is that even going to work? And furthermore, what is there to climb?

So, you're a native in American Creed 3? Wearing white uniforms like that?

How is that even going to work? And furthermore, what is there to climb?
Church towers... it's your job to prevent Paul Revere from being able to notify the British that they can't steal the Americans' guns.

I'm less disappointed that it's taking place in the American Revolution than I am that they're continuing to move toward modern day within the Animus. The Animus could have an important ancestor exist anywhere, at anytime. Some Assassin in ancient Greece could've known something about finding one of the temples. Or someone in medieval Japan could've held the key to finding a piece of Eden. It's almost limitless, and yet we keep pushing forward on a linear chronology.
I think this is happening because it's kind of awkward to mention how so and so made this mythical discovery during this time period and not show it until the next game.

Also, don't give up on a Japanese themed one... if this one is set in Revolutionary War America, they could do the next one sometime after 1854 and put it during the last days of the Samurai. It would be a great way to not make it about the Civil War at any rate.

I think this is happening because it's kind of awkward to mention how so and so made this mythical discovery during this time period and not show it until the next game.
Not if they're switching Animus users, as we've been led to believe is happening. You're right if it stays Desmond, but if not, it would make sense that someone's relevant ancestor, who may be the only one who knew the needed info, would occur earlier than Altair or Ezio.

Also, I support Jay's concern about climbing. Colonial American wasn't exactly multi-tiered and climbing rocks and cliffs just wouldn't be the same as clambering over rooftops.

Victorian London would be good, I think.

Come to think of it, you could play as Jack the Ripper.

"Jack did not kill civilians. Well, he did, but not as much as you're doing now."

Well instead of climbing maybe it'll focus more on stealth, say, hiding in the forested areas and alleyways of unlit cities and towns. Climbing could play a part but odds are you'd stick out like a sore thumb clambering all over buildings like that.

They could change it to tree climbing and branch leaping. I doubt it, though. Given how unoriginal the costume alone looks (basically just copy and pasted from the previous games and altered slightly to give it a Native American look), I doubt they'd be capable of doing that sort of innovation.

Sorry, that sounded harsh. I've just never been a big fan of the series.

They could change it to tree climbing and branch leaping. I doubt it, though. Given how unoriginal the costume alone looks (basically just copy and pasted from the previous games and altered slightly to give it a Native American look), I doubt they'd be capable of doing that sort of innovation.

Sorry, that sounded harsh. I've just never been a big fan of the series.
Looks like I was right, forest-based climbing and stalking, some city interaction as well. So much for non-innovation, eh?

http://imgur.com/a/3NNkQ

Edit: Also, I haven't played the games in awhile but I believe there was a reason the costume is somewhat similar regardless of the character/time period. Not sure on that, though.

Looks like I was right, forest-based climbing and stalking, some city interaction as well. So much for non-innovation, eh?

http://imgur.com/a/3NNkQ

Edit: Also, I haven't played the games in awhile but I believe there was a reason the costume is somewhat similar regardless of the character/time period. Not sure on that, though.
Please, changing the random beams, and sticks sticking out of buildings to twigs and branches doesn't make it innovative.

Necronic

Staff member
I just read an interview with the CEO and CMO of EvE Online yesterday (can't remember the site). Anyways, they had a really touch and go 2011, but still managed to end the year with year-over-year growth once again. With WoW's bad year this means that EvE Online is the only MMO to have ever had consistent year over year growth for it's entire lifetime, which at this point is like 7 years.

GasBandit

Staff member
That'd be impressive if they'd ever had more than 500k subscribers though....
Meh, you don't need WoW numbers to be a successful MMO. Ultima Online never broke 100k, DAOC peaked around 250k... it's all about balancing income with expenditure. That wow got millions of subscribers was just the perfect storm that let them print money. That's not the threshold one has to mantle to be solvent, or even thriving.

Never said they did, I'm saying it's not too impressive that they've had "consistant yearly growth" with those numbers.

I love SimCity enough that I think I'd be willing to put up with Origin. Maybe. I'm not clear on its controversies, honestly.

That said, and I've said this in a few other places, I'd love to see a lot of green technology in the game. From what I understand, you can have different themed cities, such as a cultural mecca or purely industrial. As an environmental advocate, I want to see a green theme, as well. It could include biking lanes, a local market (or even urban farming), green roofs, green power like solar or wind, emphasis on public transportation, etc.

Necronic

Staff member
It's a far more niche market than wow, I'll admit that wholeheartedly. It definitely doesn't have the mass appeal that WoW does, and it also has the advantage of having somewhere to grow, whereas WoW may have actually truly hit a saturation point, arguably being the most popular video game in human history.

But the point still stands that it's impressive for this highly niche game that is from an otherwise unkown company to have shown consistent year-over-year growth throughout it's entire history. Which is actually 9 years, not 7 (whoops).

Also seriously Sheg as much of a PvPer as you are you really should give it a try some day.

That said, and I've said this in a few other places, I'd love to see a lot of green technology in the game. From what I understand, you can have different themed cities, such as a cultural mecca or purely industrial. As an environmental advocate, I want to see a green theme, as well. It could include biking lanes, a local market (or even urban farming), green roofs, green power like solar or wind, emphasis on public transportation, etc.
Agreed. I liked those options in previous games, but they should really be able to blow it out a lot in this version.
Added at: 17:24
But the point still stands that it's impressive for this highly niche game that is from an otherwise unkown company to have shown consistent year-over-year growth throughout it's entire history. Which is actually 9 years, not 7 (whoops).
Quite. We're not talking a game in the 50-100k subs range. 500k subscribers is a big deal. That's the number SWTOR needs to maintain/beat for a year to break even (reputedly, from a developer interview). That's a number many high profile MMOs never hit. In the time they've been around, other MMOs have launched, hit their heights, and died. That EvE Online never stopped growing in this time, even with the last year of what-the-fuckery, is a testament to the strength of the game.

They're not the only MMO to do this (Runescape never really stopped growing, they just slowed down, and Dofus has definitely never come close to stopping), but for subscription-locked MMOs they might be.

This is a tech demo by Quantic Dreams, maker of the game, Heavy Rain. It's meant to showcase the ability to give games more cinematic depth and character emotion. According to David Cage, it's not planned as a game. Personally, I think there's a solid idea in here for a game. True, it's not an original idea (similar to the movie, A.I.), but that doesn't mean it's lacking potential for a great game.

SWTOR may actually be able to keep around 500k based on it's property alone... but I have a feeling it's going to be more like 300k. If EA actually expects to pull that many people right out of the gate, they are crazy.