Video Game News and Miscellany

HOLD UP ON ALL THIS OTHER SHIT, STOP EVERYTHING

Blaster Master is on the 3DS eshop!

Heheheheh. I am way too tired for this shit, but I may buy and hope against hope it's as good as I remember from when I was 6 years old.
I played it again about a year or two ago. It's still one of the harder NES games I've ever played.

So, anyone else get this cryptic you've been chosen email from Bioware which leads to this teaser?

Hopefully it's a genuine neat new game and not some fuckin' boring ass third person shooter.

Also, Bioware, don't make it an X-box One exclusive. Just don't.

On a whim, I'd have guessed The Evil Within, until it said Bioware.

Persona Q will be $50 ... okay, Atlus. It better be worth it. Shin Megami Tensei IV certainly was and so I'm giving the benefit of a doubt, but that feels like $10 excess for a Persona-themed Etrian Odyssey.

My God, it all makes sense. Kirby is the ghost of Princess Peach. She consumes and consumes to make up for all the lost cakes she made and never got to eat.

Hrm. That trailer does not exactly get my hopes raised that it's going to be any good.

Is it a mobile game? Because it looked like a mobile game.

Hrm. That trailer does not exactly get my hopes raised that it's going to be any good.

I looked up some info on it and it is, indeed, going to be on iOS devices as well as PC. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those farmville type games.

Well shit I didn't even see that firefly video with tapatalk.

That looks terrible. The idea was good but execution of the game video was ugh

It looks like a fan made trailer... I mean, that trailer is low production value city. If it didn't have Nathan Fillion in it, I'd say it was a parody.

*looks up Sparkplug games*

Hrm... the last game they released was Dairy Queen Tycoon, which was a mobile game, and some crappy zombie game on android and iphone. So yeah, good bet it's a mobile game.

Apparently Square-Enix is teaming up with Resident Evil's creator to do some thematic Final Fantasy/Resident Evil crossover, which sounds at least different and could be g--

Oh. It's a mobile game.

Fuck it.

I've seen articles about how mobile games will be the death of handhelds. I don't think gaming journalists realize that the primary audience for mobile games is not video game players; it's bored people. Which is also why there's money to be made in mobile games, because each game will get boring fast and the bored people will jump to another cheap, 10-minute app.

Of course, Square-Enix seems to fail at the cheap aspect since they can't comprehend that there's a difference.

I haven't found a mobile game worth playing after a few days. Stupid repetitive monkey tasks that beg you to pay to cut wait times.

Yeah, I don't have the commute to play handheld for longer, or the interest to play games in 2 minute intervals, so I don't really play on a handheld - but even I know there's a huge difference between "decent game on a portable console instead of a big TV-connected one" and "thing you put on your phone because they can't be bothered to install Snake anymore". Different target demographics. That said, it could still mean the end of handheld gaming, simply because the return on investment is so much better that nobody bothers to make the decent type anymore.
Same with free to play PC games; nothing against them, but they're driving the big name producers away from investing in AAA games. Yes, they're often crappy grey brown corridor shooters and all that, but if those disappear, we won't get another Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls, either. F2Ps and indies are all well and good but not what I want out of a game.

When they're targeting different demographics, it doesn't matter. Only Square-Enix saw the money in the mobile gaming market and said "That's what we're gonna do and what we're gonna focus on." And it backfired on them big time, to the point that they've had to rethink their entire forward plan. Of course, when it comes to Square-Enix, it seems everything that happens to them is a surprise only to Square-Enix, because their corporate heads are too far up their own asses to see what everyone else can.

3DS is doing well because it's running Nintendo franchises, both the handheld standards like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, as well as more typically console fare like Legend of Zelda. Though the Vita isn't doing as well, it still has a solid collection of games that just don't happen to interest me, but they do interest other people*. Neither handheld is in danger of running low on quality software to the point that they'll only go for mobile games. Mobile gaming hits the same group who flocked to the Wii and never moved onto anything beyond Wii Sports. They're not into video games; they're into stuff to occupy their time. People into games will continue to buy games, and if they want them on a handheld on the go, they'll buy those. My wife has a 90-hour commute to work and then 2 hours back. She passes plenty of people on 3DS's each day, and it's nice for her to be able to play RPGs or neighborhood simulators like Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life since she can't take Oblivion from home with her.

*except Persona 4 Golden. I'm now three episodes into the first Persona 4 anime and can see the fun game the story wraps around that I wish I could play.

Last edited:
The Vita is failing for three simple, related reasons:

- It's too expensive because it's really powerful
- Making games on the Vita is expensive because it's so powerful.
- No one has it, so no one wants to make games for it.

That's it. The PSP was in similar straights but people bought it for Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter moved to 3DS, so everyone is getting that instead of a PSP.

I really wish Sony could do something to bring around the vita. It's an amazing machine, it does so much, gamers should want this... But they don't, because Sony is letting it wither on the vine.

I really wish Sony could do something to bring around the vita. It's an amazing machine, it does so much, gamers should want this... But they don't, because Sony is letting it wither on the vine.
Short of covering some of the development costs on the system or paying for a killer exclusive, Sony can't do much. Some of this is the fault of Japanese developers: Many are moving to mobile or 3DS because it costs less to develop for and it's less risky. As such, the Vita and the PS4 lack the killer apps they need to attract a strong user base. Many fans are waiting for something like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy out of Square Enix before getting one.

But really, it's that initial price point.