Video Game News and Miscellany

It's something of an open secret at this point that they are working on a full remake of Final Fantasy 7, slated to come out after 15. They need the money and EVERYONE wants it.
I finished FF7 many times as a teenager. I just don't need to play it again. And honestly, all voice-acted and stuff, they're going to turn Cloud into Squall. It's what they did in Advent Children and Dissidia.

This is true for Final Fantasy VII, I've never gone further than disc 1 in FFVIII, never finished FFX (the celestial weapons - fuck you!), haven't finished FFXII, haven't finished FF Tactics... Star Ocean 2, I stopped play Star Ocean 3 before the first battle, I quit Xenosaga at the "running from Gnosis" part...
That other stuff is take or leave, but Tactics is

Yeah I like it but I think I screwed up the sidequest for the extra characters and so I'm halfway down some fucked up dungeon and I just lost interest. I think I screwed up getting the secret item that lets Cloud be useful.

Yeah I like it but I think I screwed up the sidequest for the extra characters and so I'm halfway down some fucked up dungeon and I just lost interest. I think I screwed up getting the secret item that lets Cloud be useful.
Yeah you have to go to this certain Mountain map with him in your party, and he has to get to the top of said mountain to find his Buster Sword which lets him use the special Job abilities he has that aren't all that great thanks to huge Turn charge times anyway.

I spent a good 40 minutes letting him punch Ramza to level him, and in the end he just isn't worth the effort. I haven't played the PSP version, though, which added Balthier from FFXII as a special gunner class that's supposed to be pretty good.

Understandable. Deep Dungeon's a bitch, though you don't need the final summon to finish the game.

Yeah you have to go to this certain Mountain map with him in your party, and he has to get to the top of said mountain to find his Buster Sword which lets him use the special Job abilities he has that aren't all that great thanks to huge Turn charge times anyway.

I spent a good 40 minutes letting him punch Ramza to level him, and in the end he just isn't worth the effort. I haven't played the PSP version, though, which added Balthier from FFXII as a special gunner class that's supposed to be pretty good.
Basically this. Cloud sucks, but Worker, Beowulf, and the dragonlady are all fantastic characters you can get instead, as long as Mustadio is still alive. Hell, Beowulf is almost as broken as Cid is.

I believe you can also get Balthaier (from FF12) and the main character from FFTA2 if you're playing the PSP remake.

Understandable. Deep Dungeon's a bitch, though you don't need the final summon to finish the game.
DD was the only thing I never finished. Just couldn't sit there and make the time to get to the bottom. It was especially shitty since I'd smashed a Thief up to a high level so I could find the stairs and still have him be useful in combat.

Is it wrong that I just want a good collection of all the Final Fantasies? They don't even have to be upgraded or anything. Just give me one place, like Steam, to play them all. Hell, I just want to play that remake of Final Fantasy IV that's on the PSP, but you know, being able to play it on a big screen.

Is it wrong that I just want a good collection of all the Final Fantasies? They don't even have to be upgraded or anything. Just give me one place, like Steam, to play them all. Hell, I just want to play that remake of Final Fantasy IV that's on the PSP, but you know, being able to play it on a big screen.
You mean DS. It was a DS game.

And I don't think it'd look good on the big screen; it was kind of block-chunky even on the little DS screen.

DD was the only thing I never finished. Just couldn't sit there and make the time to get to the bottom. It was especially shitty since I'd smashed a Thief up to a high level so I could find the stairs and still have him be useful in combat.
Deep Dungeon is one of those things that, if I hadn't been a teenager with loads of free time, I wouldn't have made it. I don't blame anyone for giving up on it.

When they re-released FF7 they could have at least tarted up the polygons/textures a little bit to Crisis Core levels instead of just the same PS1 console rip they did on us in the 90s. All the music was even midi, so One Winged Angel didn't even have any lyrics.
If you're talking about the PC version, it also had that stupid DRM that required you to log in and remain logged in to a squenix account to play your single player ps1 game.

Persona Q has a release date: November 25. I'd be excited if I'd played Persona 4, but I haven't, so, not getting it.

I have a feeling Persona is going to be the letter of the day for a while for Atlus under Sega.

You mean DS. It was a DS game.

And I don't think it'd look good on the big screen; it was kind of block-chunky even on the little DS screen.
Nope. They also did a release on PSP. It was a revamped version different from the DS game (not 3D, just improved 2D graphics) and included The After Years that was originally only on the Wii. For a brief time, I had a used PSP in order to play it. But I'm just not the portable gaming type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_Complete_Collection

Last edited:
Persona Q has a release date: November 25. I'd be excited if I'd played Persona 4, but I haven't, so, not getting it.

I have a feeling Persona is going to be the letter of the day for a while for Atlus under Sega.
They put out other stuff, but yes... Persona 5 is their next big project an all of this is just ways to make money in the mean time.

Yeah I know about Cia, I guess it makes sense to hold onto some thing for close to release though. I mean, it's bad enough he hasn't shown up in Smash yet.

They put out other stuff, but yes... Persona 5 is their next big project an all of this is just ways to make money in the mean time.
I get ads for their other stuff, so yes, true. What I really mean in my bitchy bitterness is Persona instead of Shin Megami Tensei proper. Haven't heard news about Devil Survivor 2: Break Record in almost a year, back when it was a fall 2013 release. I'm wondering if Sega told them to can it so they could continue to milk their biggest property. I don't blame them for doing so, but there are an awful lot of Persona 4 spin-offs. I'm almost afraid I won't like Persona 4 after all the stuff I've seen. I went into Persona 3 knowing nothing except they shoot themselves to summon stuff. Great characters, great story.

At this point I'm so unlikely to get a Vita and I don't want to take up TV time with the PSN download that I may just do a Let's Play of Persona 4 so I can play Persona Q at some point.

But I still want more SMT.[DOUBLEPOST=1406240334,1406240286][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nope. They also did a release on PSP. It was a revamped version different from the DS game (not 3D, just improved 2D graphics) and included The After Years that was originally only on the Wii. For a brief time, I had a used PSP in order to play it. But I'm just not the portable gaming type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_Complete_Collection
I stand corrected.

(Though the DS one was cool; lots of expressiveness from the character models and voice acting really fleshed out the story nicely.)

I get ads for their other stuff, so yes, true. What I really mean in my bitchy bitterness is Persona instead of Shin Megami Tensei proper. Haven't heard news about Devil Survivor 2: Break Record in almost a year, back when it was a fall 2013 release. I'm wondering if Sega told them to can it so they could continue to milk their biggest property. I don't blame them for doing so, but there are an awful lot of Persona 4 spin-offs. I'm almost afraid I won't like Persona 4 after all the stuff I've seen. I went into Persona 3 knowing nothing except they shoot themselves to summon stuff. Great characters, great story.

At this point I'm so unlikely to get a Vita and I don't want to take up TV time with the PSN download that I may just do a Let's Play of Persona 4 so I can play Persona Q at some point.
If you aren't sure you want to invest in Persona 4 so much, I highly suggest you just watch Persona 4: The Animation and Persona 4: The Golden Animation. Some stuff hits the cutting room floor (namely half the social links and virtually ALL of the social link stuff with your friends, Dojima, and Nanako), but it does add some stuff that was missing too. The story is excellent, way better than Persona 3.

If you aren't sure you want to invest in Persona 4 so much, I highly suggest you just watch Persona 4: The Animation and Persona 4: The Golden Animation. Some stuff hits the cutting room floor (namely half the social links and virtually ALL of the social link stuff with your friends, Dojima, and Nanako), but it does add some stuff that was missing too. The story is excellent, way better than Persona 3.
Emphasis mine.

Are both animated series necessary? I thought Golden was just a retelling of the same story, so you'd only need to watch one.

Emphasis mine.

Are both animated series necessary? I thought Golden was just a retelling of the same story, so you'd only need to watch one.
I'm actually in the middle of watching The Golden on DAISUKE's official youtube channel, alongside Sword Art Online Season 2. So far the only things it's shown are the Marie stuff that was exclusive to the PSP version, which I think is the point. If you don't care about her and her story, then just stick with the first series.

I'm actually in the middle of watching The Golden on DAISUKE's official youtube channel, alongside Sword Art Online Season 2. So far the only things it's shown are the Marie stuff that was exclusive to the PSP version, which I think is the point. If you don't care about her and her story, then just stick with the first series.
Don't even know who that is. I only know Teddy. And that the main character says random stuff since they just assigned him various speech options from the game. Does Golden do that? Is it better, worse, is it cutting stuff to fit that in?

I guess this is why you said I should watch both ...[DOUBLEPOST=1406246210,1406245761][/DOUBLEPOST]
I feel like if you're going to suggest he watch nearly 40 episodes of an anime series, he might as well just play the game.
It's not the time; it's the money. I can watch an anime series on my computer for nothing.

Persona 4 Golden = $20 on sale. Good price!

PS Vita = $280 new. $170 - $180 used, but I bought used PSPs and they were shit.

Memory card (because it won't use PSP cards or SD cards) = $15 for a 4 gig card, which would likely run out fast. Ideally 16 gigs, at $30.

So between $230 to $330 dollars so I can play one game. That's a solid nope for me. Now, I could download it from PSN for $20, but then I'm using up the TV, which is inconvenient for me and my wife.

Don't even know who that is. I only know Teddy. And that the main character says random stuff since they just assigned him various speech options from the game. Does Golden do that? Is it better, worse, is it cutting stuff to fit that in?

I guess this is why you said I should watch both ...
From what I can tell, The Golden is basically a companion series to the first one that happens concurrently, but on different days or covering gaps in the story. For instance, the latest episode I saw was episode 3, where everyone takes their scooters to the beach and enjoy their summer vacation, before going to the festival at the end of break. None of that happened in the first series for a couple of reasons...

- You don't get scooters in Persona 4, only The Golden
- Marie was only in The Golden
- They only go to the beach in The Golden to show off the swimsuit costumes you can acquire.

The don't show anything at the festival, only before and after. This is to allow time for the festival stuff to happen in the original series.

Basically what I'm saying is that eventually, you could probably intermix episodes/scenes of Persona 4 and The Golden to get a coherent timeline of events. Watching it as two different series makes it a bit jarring.

From what I can tell, The Golden is basically a companion series to the first one that happens concurrently, but on different days or covering gaps in the story. For instance, the latest episode I saw was episode 3, where everyone takes their scooters to the beach and enjoy their summer vacation, before going to the festival at the end of break. None of that happened in the first series for a couple of reasons...

- You don't get scooters in Persona 4, only The Golden
- Marie was only in The Golden
- They only go to the beach in The Golden to show off the swimsuit costumes you can acquire.

The don't show anything at the festival, only before and after. This is to allow time for the festival stuff to happen in the original series.

Basically what I'm saying is that eventually, you could probably intermix episodes/scenes of Persona 4 and The Golden to get a coherent timeline of events. Watching it as two different series makes it a bit jarring.
Interesting. I'll have to see if such a timeline comes up. Thanks for the info.[DOUBLEPOST=1406246973,1406246802][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is a Vita still like 300 bucks? Fuck.
Prices for a Vita are all over the place depending on color, bundled games, wi-fi vs 3G. I just looked up general vanilla and it's close.

Oh Ubisoft, you're so fucking stupid (specifically 1 minute into the video). From a long lost Kotaku article from 9 fucking years ago about guys bringing DSes to Everest.

How’d the Nintendo DS withstand the high altitudes?

We totally had so much electronic equipment, and I’d say the Nintendo DS held up the best of any of it…

We were using a CB radio to stay in touch and that would consistently go bad… then we’d bring it back to life…

It was because of the wind and the cold, we had a Dell computer that got fried, a Polytechnic screen that went out… we had three of the four MP3 players go bad….but the Nintendo DS units keep hanging in there…

And it was the Nintendo DS units that suffered the worst of it - they were constantly with us in our tents which were moist and cold… the were right there in our packs so they suffered a lot of wind blasts, they were dropped…

And the Sherpas would beat the (heck) out of them - they’d play with them in the kitchen where curry would get split on them, all these incredibly hot spices… and they kept on performing…

Believe me, if they went through the stuff that they went through (making the way up to Everest), I can guarantee a five-year-old can spill jelly on them and they’ll still survive… (vs. PSP)

And we played a lot of Madden… Chris was often the winner of those battles…

We're going to let you climb the most dangerous mountain in the world but don't worry you fucking addict here's some video games so you can die doing what you love.

It's not the time; it's the money. I can watch an anime series on my computer for nothing.
Well, technically speaking, you can play any game on your computer for free. But only if you want to be one of -those- people.

And by those people, I mean glorious PC master race

I dunno, we've already managed to break 1 DS and 2 3DSes in my house. ;)
Children are bigger catastrophes than any mountain :p.

(My wife also broke a 3DS. *sigh*)

Well, technically speaking, you can play any game on your computer for free. But only if you want to be one of -those- people.

And by those people, I mean glorious PC master race
Dude, it's Atlus. I love Atlus. I wouldn't do that to them. I'm going over all this so I can know the story to one game so that I can buy another game they're releasing. I don't agree with all their decisions, sure, but they've been good to me.

HOLD UP ON ALL THIS OTHER SHIT, STOP EVERYTHING

Blaster Master is on the 3DS eshop!

Heheheheh. I am way too tired for this shit, but I may buy and hope against hope it's as good as I remember from when I was 6 years old.