Video Game News and Miscellany

Leaked screenshot of Super Smash Bros 4 roster screen shows mostly question marks, but indicates 36 characters. So that's six to go, unless there are more that appear as you unlock them, as has been the case in other games.

Leaked screenshot of Super Smash Bros 4 roster screen shows mostly question marks, but indicates 36 characters. So that's six to go, unless there are more that appear as you unlock them, as has been the case in other games.
The current Roster is...

- Mario
- Luigi
- Bowser
- Peach
- Rosalina & Luma
- Yoshi
- Link
- Zelda
- Sheik
- Samus
- Zero Suit Samus
- Pikachu
- Charizard
- Greninja
- Lucario
- Kirby
- King Dedede
- Little Mac

- Animal Crossing Villager
- Wiifit Trainer (Male and Female. Not sure if this is two characters or one)
- Megaman
- Sonic
- Donkey Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Fox
- Pit
- Pikmin & Olimar
- Marth
- Ike
- Ness

We'll probably get Metaknight again because of how awesome he was in Brawl, so it's more like 5 remaining. I'm guessing we'll get one more big SURPRISE character at least, which leaves 4 more spots...

I'd be really surprised if he didn't make it in eventually, but keep in mind Ness hasn't been officially announced yet.

I'm wagering E3 is going to reveal another newcomer or two, likely in a fancy trailer like we got for Charizard/Greninja. Unless WiiU has exclusive characters (which I seriously doubt), we'll probably know the whole roster by/not long after E3 with the 3DS version due out soon-ish.

I'm still holding out for Shulk.

I'm surprised they brought back Ike from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn when Fire Emblem Awakening has been a more recent and far more popular game, and putting in Chrom or Lucina would've still provided another sword wielder.

I'm surprised they brought back Ike from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn when Fire Emblem Awakening has been a more recent and far more popular game, and putting in Chrom or Lucina would've still provided another sword wielder.
Yeah, I was surprised by this too. Though we still have plenty of room for them. My predictions for E3...

- Metaknight
- Ness
- Chrom or Lucina (probably Lucina). Maybe both together, as pairing up was so important in the game and it would be cool to see them team up.
- Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Falco, or Ganondorf.
- Another off franchise character (Probably from Konami or Namco. Pac-man or a Belmont maybe? Django from Boktai would be cool... but I could see Raiden from Metal Gear Rising too.)
- A big surprise character from a Nintendo franchise... I'd love to see Max from Advanced Wars. I could totally see him using weapons from his army before calling in the troops for his Final Smash. Krystal from Star Fox might a be a neat addition too.

Another option for the off-franchise guy might be Professor Layton. I could totally see him using his fencing saber and some wacky inventions.

You know, I could never get into DQ games. Compared to FF they always felt like such a slow burn and the combat never felt quite right. I put a lot of time into DQ8 thinking I just wasn't giving it enough of a chance, but never did finish it. Hopefully it comes to PSN and I can play it on a console so I can give it another shot.

Batman: Arkham Knight has been delayed until 2015. They want more time to make a great game, basically.

Still...:(
Well, I'd say that's enough time to wait for them to come out with Arkham Origins game of the year edition! S-seriously does anyone know when that is coming out? I'm freaking antsy! I'm not gonna fall for it again DC, sell me the whole damn game!

Well, I'd say that's enough time to wait for them to come out with Arkham Origins game of the year edition! S-seriously does anyone know when that is coming out? I'm freaking antsy! I'm not gonna fall for it again DC, sell me the whole damn game!
No one would ever name that Game of the Year.

HA- yeah I've heard that before.

So "Murdered: Soul Suspect" looks like a super serious "Ghost Trick Phantom Detective". One review says neigh, one says yay, OH THE CHANCE OF IT ALL!
From what I've seen of it, it's only a buy if you like puzzle games AND noir. The store is very predictable, the game play doesn't take any chances, and it's only interesting gimmick (walking through walls) really isn't as key to the game play as it could be. It's impressive visuals don't make up for the poor voice acting... really, the game just kind of lacks any kind of life to it. I'd skip it or wait till it's on sale. It's not worth $60 by any rate.

For those of you into Dwarf Fortress, Toady posted a few days ago that he'll be releasing a new version in early July, probably. Apparently it'll have an expanded adventurer mode, changes to fights and conflicts, expanded battles, expanded civilization sites, multi-tile trees, etc.

It should be noted though that Toady hasn't always been great at meeting release dates. Also, new releases tend to be very very buggy for at least a few months, while Toady tracks down and fixes the bugs.

For those of you into Dwarf Fortress, Toady posted a few days ago that he'll be releasing a new version in early July, probably. Apparently it'll have an expanded adventurer mode, changes to fights and conflicts, expanded battles, expanded civilization sites, multi-tile trees, etc.

It should be noted though that Toady hasn't always been great at meeting release dates. Also, new releases tend to be very very buggy for at least a few months, while Toady tracks down and fixes the bugs.
So when will there be graphics?

Reactions: Jay
I still have the first DQ, but never finished it.
I remember it being interesting in a "climb the RPG ladder" kind of way.

--Patrick

In the midst of today's god awfulness, this is brought forth. A shiny beacon.

CHARLES DANCE!!! FUUUUCK. If that isn't Charles Dance then he does a fine impression of Charles Dance.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's a pretty sweet trailer. I tried witcher, and it wasn't really my cup of tea - which is saying a lot for a game that has you bang umpteen hot redheads.

That's a pretty sweet trailer. I tried witcher, and it wasn't really my cup of tea - which is saying a lot for a game that has you bang umpteen hot redheads.
The Witcher 2 is pretty good stuff. I liked the first Witcher, but it took a long time to get good. This new one is open world and looks spectacular. Unlike Ubisoft trailers, I believe that this game is capable of looking as good as it does, since Witcher 2 looked every bit as good as the non-pre-rendered trailers showed it to.

In the midst of today's god awfulness, this is brought forth. A shiny beacon.

CHARLES DANCE!!! FUUUUCK. If that isn't Charles Dance then he does a fine impression of Charles Dance.
I feel like we should stop calling cdProjekt Red an indie artist. Every time I see reports about them or witcher, they always mention "indie developer cdproject red." They've been swinging for the fences with AAA quality every since they first came around, they've got mad talent, and are now a powerhouse of a studio.

But then again, they're both Polish -and- hate DRM. Hrm...