Video Game News and Miscellany

Nah, you'll just have to log in with your G+ account. Also you have to use your real name and such, not the account name. Also also there's the new ads that load at 720p while the actual stream shows up via potato-cam. Totally fine.

At this point, if you don't at least wait until the "Game of the Year" edition of Watch Dogs, you deserve this future.

I was gonna get watchdogs pretty soon after launch if not at launch but I have a feeling it's gonna drop in price really quickly. And Mario kart comes out three days later with an offer of another free game if you buy it and it will never drop in price.

You guys may have heard of a Skyrim mod called Skywind, which is an attempt to recreate Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. The same guys are also working on Skyblivion, which is the same thing except for Oblivion. Today, I was randomly thinking about this mod, when I decided to look it up, and it turns out they just released a teaser trailer yesterday.

If I'm to be honest, the trailer isn't a whole lot to get excited about. It's noticeably the Skyrim engine, with the lighting, fog effects, water, fire, etc. But the models and textures appear to be the same as Oblivion's. I also have my doubts that this project will ever see its way to fruition, since it's a huge undertaking and it sounds like they only have a small team.

Nonetheless, though, just the possibility of playing Oblivion in Skyrim's engine is getting me excited. Sort of like how I felt (and still feel) about Black Mesa.

I don't see the point of that. There isn't enough of a difference between Oblivion and Skyrim for it. You're just slightly prettying up Oblivion.

Also, I don't think you could pay me to step through another Oblivion gate for as long as I live.

That shit's worse than the God damn Fade (not the poster).

The biggest bummer for me was when you were doing quests for the Daedric Gods and being sent by Peryite to his realm of Oblivion to save some of his followers and it just ends up being another Mehrunes Dagon lavascape. All the Gods are supposed to have completely different realms.

Yeah, every time I tried to play Oblivion, I'd get to one of the gates, get inside, and remember why I never bothered to finish it. At least with the Fade you only had to go once, and on PC there was a mod to just skip it completely.

Yeah, every time I tried to play Oblivion, I'd get to one of the gates, get inside, and remember why I never bothered to finish it. At least with the Fade you only had to go once, and on PC there was a mod to just skip it completely.
I have a feeling Dragon Age: Inquisition is going to be treating the Fade like Oblivion gates, as apparently your protagonist has been marked by the Fade in a way that allows him/her to manipulate and interact with it as certain weak spots in the fabric of reality.

The people at Bioware seem to be under the impression that everyone loves the Fade.

I have a feeling Dragon Age: Inquisition is going to be treating the Fade like Oblivion gates, as apparently your protagonist has been marked by the Fade in a way that allows him/her to manipulate and interact with it as certain weak spots in the fabric of reality.

The people at Bioware seem to be under the impression that everyone loves the Fade.
Little do they know that @fade hates everything.

Nintendo sent out demo codes for Tomadachi Life to select Club Nintendo Platinum, and I happened to be one of the lucky people.

I have zero interest in this game, so I passed it over to my wife. Since the character creation's visuals are essentially Mii Maker, they're pretty limited compared to similar games like The Sims. You can do a lot of adjustments to the Miis' voices and the game is pretty good about pronouncing words/names that you've entered. What's interested and different from The Sims is your lack of control--you can't decide who's going to be with who, for example. You make the Miis and try to keep them happy, but they're on the loose in their weird little world.

It's not my thing, but people who want something of a hybrid between Animal Crossing and The Sims might be interested.

Nintendo sent out demo codes for Tomadachi Life to select Club Nintendo Platinum, and I happened to be one of the lucky people.

I have zero interest in this game, so I passed it over to my wife. Since the character creation's visuals are essentially Mii Maker, they're pretty limited compared to similar games like The Sims. You can do a lot of adjustments to the Miis' voices and the game is pretty good about pronouncing words/names that you've entered. What's interested and different from The Sims is your lack of control--you can't decide who's going to be with who, for example. You make the Miis and try to keep them happy, but they're on the loose in their weird little world.

It's not my thing, but people who want something of a hybrid between Animal Crossing and The Sims might be interested.
There's been a lot of hullabaloo over that game after Nintendo patched out gay marriage.

Ok, this is misleading. They never allowed same-sex marriage to begin with, it was a bug that misread the gender of one person and broke the game by creating pregnant men etc, but that's not nearly as much fun to write.

At least they're open to allowing it in Tomadachi 2.

There's been a lot of hullabaloo over that game after Nintendo patched out gay marriage.

Ok, this is misleading. They never allowed same-sex marriage to begin with, it was a bug that misread the gender of one person and broke the game by creating pregnant men etc, but that's not nearly as much fun to write.

At least they're open to allowing it in Tomadachi 2.
I think they should've just allowed the pregnant men bug.

That said, Nintendo looked into patching in same-sex relationships, but because the relationships run on an algorithm, there was too much re-coding that would need to be done, especially with the release date so soon. They apologized. I felt their response was appropriate.

figmentPez

Staff member
Batman: Arkham Knight official "gameplay" trailer.

I put "gameplay" in quotes because a montage of short clips mostly pulled from cut-scenes is not gameplay. If you're not showing what it looks like to actually play the game, then you're not showing gameplay.

I'm still excited for this game, and will probably continue to be... right up until someone reveals that the Joker is the mastermind, once again. For goodness sakes, people, just let another villain be the big bad. The Joker is not the end-all be-all of Bat-villains.

While Joker IS the villain of villains for Batman, you're right. He's not the only one. I honestly had wished he'd taken a backseat in Arkham City. Even if he had some amazing moments. I just hope to hell this Arkham Knight character isn't revealed to be Joker. I figure it's Hush.

While Joker IS the villain of villains for Batman, you're right. He's not the only one. I honestly had wished he'd taken a backseat in Arkham City. Even if he had some amazing moments. I just hope to hell this Arkham Knight character isn't revealed to be Joker. I figure it's Hush.
You mean you don't think it will be Jason Todd?

Batman: Arkham Knight official "gameplay" trailer.

I put "gameplay" in quotes because a montage of short clips mostly pulled from cut-scenes is not gameplay. If you're not showing what it looks like to actually play the game, then you're not showing gameplay.
If you want to preview the gameplay, check out Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. I'll be surprised if it's any different.

And it ends with a pre-order bonus.

I'm out!
Just don't pre-order it? It's not like those bonuses matter.

Granted, I'm not getting it until it's the $20 GOTY edition, but I don't think a pre-order bonus should dictate a pass/fail. South Park: The Stick of Truth had pre-order bonuses. Loved that samurai gear.

Just don't pre-order it? It's not like those bonuses matter.

Granted, I'm not getting it until it's the $20 GOTY edition, but I don't think a pre-order bonus should dictate a pass/fail. South Park: The Stick of Truth had pre-order bonuses. Loved that samurai gear.
That was an oversimplified post on my part.

I didn't really like Arkham City (disjointed mess) and I hated Arkham Origins (shittier version of City) so I'm not sold on the game as a whole. The cutting out a playable character (no matter how much it doesn't matter) for a pre-order bonus pushed me directly into the don't care zone.

That was an oversimplified post on my part.

I didn't really like Arkham City (disjointed mess) and I hated Arkham Origins (shittier version of City) so I'm not sold on the game as a whole. The cutting out a playable character (no matter how much it doesn't matter) for a pre-order bonus pushed me directly into the don't care zone.
That makes sense.

These games are really rentals in my opinion. I've never played one of them a second time and would probably enjoy it just as much, if not more, as a let's play.

fade

Staff member
Yeah they weren't replayable. Fun as hell the first time, but once the story was done there wasn't much motivation to replay.

Eh, I disagree, I found both games to be fantastic and have great replay value. Haven't heard good things about origins so I haven't bought that yet. Figure I'll end up getting it for free on ps+