Video Game News and Miscellany

Next up, weeks before release, Ubi needs to announce that the PC version has been delayed a month, so the cycle can be complete.

Preemptive fuck you Ubi.

GasBandit

Staff member
They claim they didn't want mid to low range systems having to devote computational cycles to decompressing audio... smells funny to me, but whatever. I'm sure there are audiophiles out there who will appreciate the lossless audio.

They claim they didn't want mid to low range systems having to devote computational cycles to decompressing audio... smells funny to me, but whatever. I'm sure there are audiophiles out there who will appreciate the lossless audio.
I'm sure… that… uh… those 3 dudes will just love that.

figmentPez

Staff member
I would have thought that memory and HDD access would be far more limiting than processing power.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would have thought that memory and HDD access would be far more limiting than processing power.
In an MMO that tends to be more the case, but in match-based FPSes, all the loading is done up front when the match begins, so they're probably not terribly concerned about HD access time.

But yeah, the excuse is parchment-thin.

figmentPez

Staff member
In an MMO that tends to be more the case, but in match-based FPSes, all the loading is done up front when the match begins, so they're probably not terribly concerned about HD access time.
So, that would mean they're banking on getting all of the texture, model, etc. data into the RAM before the match, and then, more or less, streaming all of the sounds off of the HDD? That sounds more like coding for the original Playstation than for a PC.

So, that would mean they're banking on getting all of the texture, model, etc. data into the RAM before the match, and then, more or less, streaming all of the sounds off of the HDD? That sounds more like coding for the original Playstation than for a PC.
Bad PC Porting? I'm shocked... shocked I tell you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, it IS on XBox...

But even for audio, that's a lot of freakin' audio. An average uncompressed audio song around here is around 40 or 50 megs at 44.1 khz. 38 gigs is the size of an entire radio station's library of uncompressed songs.

GasBandit

Staff member
And the punch line is, the XB1/XB360 version? You know, the WAY WEAKER hardware than any given gaming PC? Compressed audio. So there goes that excuse.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOD DAMN IT....fiiiine.

Fuckin' Nintendo and their bullshit slow as molasses eshop holdups.

Doh, instead of linking to the update it auto turned it into the generic kickstarter thing. Ok, the news is that Shovel Knight is being delayed so it can launch on all systems at the same time. If WayForward's experience is any indicator this is entirely due to Nintendo's terrible God damn eshop policies.

Fuck that guy. He's a nightmare to work with and drove off the best talent at his company and ended up producing Lords of Shadow 2....one of the most disappointing sequels since almost any Bioware sequel of the last 10 years.

Well, it IS on XBox...

But even for audio, that's a lot of freakin' audio. An average uncompressed audio song around here is around 40 or 50 megs at 44.1 khz. 38 gigs is the size of an entire radio station's library of uncompressed songs.
Really? I mean, one audio CD is about 700 MB of audio. So, in CD quality, 38 gigs would be about 55 CDs. Horribly excessive for a game, but I'd assume a radio station to have more :p

Fuck that guy. He's a nightmare to work with and drove off the best talent at his company and ended up producing Lords of Shadow 2....one of the most disappointing sequels since almost any Bioware sequel of the last 10 years.
I also assume it's because the 3DS game they shit out sold horribly and nobody really cared about it, as it was apparently a side-scroller.

GasBandit

Staff member
Really? I mean, one audio CD is about 700 MB of audio. So, in CD quality, 38 gigs would be about 55 CDs. Horribly excessive for a game, but I'd assume a radio station to have more :p
I know you're being a smartass, but we don't have every song by every artist. Radio stations keep one or two songs from an album and ignore the rest (possibly 3 if it's a phenomenal/classic album).

And yes, we pick the 7 or so highest charting songs in our given genre and play each of them at least 5 times per day.

It takes surprisingly little music to make a radio station. Heck, some of the most successful are Top 40 format. Just the same few dozen suburb-safe R&B hits over and over and over.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOD DAMN IT....fiiiine.

Fuckin' Nintendo and their bullshit slow as molasses eshop holdups.

Doh, instead of linking to the update it auto turned it into the generic kickstarter thing. Ok, the news is that Shovel Knight is being delayed so it can launch on all systems at the same time. If WayForward's experience is any indicator this is entirely due to Nintendo's terrible God damn eshop policies.
Same thing happened to AeternoBlade. The reason with that game is that it didn't pass muster with Nintendo's quality control due to game bugs. Not sure if Shovel Knight is the same deal.

Man, have you listened to the radio lately? Each station has maybe 10 songs.

GasBandit

Staff member
I thought that was just my hometown's radio.
Nope. It's most of the successful radio stations. It was born when someone noticed in a diner that the jukebox was dominated by school kids who all kept pumping money into it, but all playing the same few songs over and over again.

I'm going to reserve judgement for Dark Souls 2 until the PC version hits. It was designed FIRST as a pc title and then ported, so it might look closer to the previews on PC. Regardless, Dark Souls looked best on PC.

I'm going to reserve judgement for Dark Souls 2 until the PC version hits. It was designed FIRST as a pc title and then ported, so it might look closer to the previews on PC. Regardless, Dark Souls looked best on PC.
I've heard that Dark Souls is still quite console-y on PC though? It's what's been holding me back from getting it.

Dark Souls looked best on PC.......after the community fixed it's God awful issues that it shipped with. It was so half-assed.