Video Game News and Miscellany

I dunno if they still do it, but citibank used to offer virtual credit card numbers that could be used on top of your regular credit card account. We're probably moving towards a point where everyone is going to need to start using such things.

I dunno if they still do it, but citibank used to offer virtual credit card numbers that could be used on top of your regular credit card account. We're probably moving towards a point where everyone is going to need to start using such things.
Most big banks offer throwaway numbers for online purchases ("virtual card numbers"), but that won't solve cases where you need periodic debit (phone bill, etc).

--Patrick

I dunno, I think Bioshock Infinite is the latest victim of being successful (selling 5 million plus units) but not being successful enough to justify it's costs and Ken Levine is just owning it this way. Or Ken Levine could just be sick of big, high budget, massive crunch games. If that's the case, it's pretty shitty to fuck over so many people. You're not that important Ken.

I dunno, I think Bioshock Infinite is the latest victim of being successful (selling 5 million plus units) but not being successful enough to justify it's costs and Ken Levine is just owning it this way. Or Ken Levine could just be sick of big, high budget, massive crunch games. If that's the case, it's pretty shitty to fuck over so many people. You're not that important Ken.
This is my entire take on it. Half of those people aren't going to be able to get as prestigious or fulfilling work as they got at Irrational and I seriously doubt half of them will find comparable work.

Well, if Ken (and the 15 or so others going with him) aren't that important, the remaining folks can just start their own studio, can't they? That's how Irrational got started in the first place anyway, one studio closing, the folks leftover starting their own. If they can't/don't want to, how could Irrational Studios continue existing then?

Well, if Ken (and the 15 or so others going with him) aren't that important, the remaining folks can just start their own studio, can't they? That's how Irrational got started in the first place anyway, one studio closing, the folks leftover starting their own. If they can't/don't want to, how could Irrational Studios continue existing then?
Securing funding for a new studio isn't as easy as that and that's why I think it has a lot to do with BSI's performance. Take2 was probably ready to shut them down completely[DOUBLEPOST=1392748865,1392748586][/DOUBLEPOST]Man, there is no winning in AAA game development. Success means nothing. You're always on the verge of being laid off or relegated to making map packs for Call of Duty.

This is getting a lot of "WTF?!" reactions from the game community and rightly so. It's just so out of left field after they had JUST released a major, AAA game that not only sold well, but earned a plethora of Game of the Year awards.

Personally, I can't wait to see what Kickstarters the fired employees will come up with.
(Note: Only about 10% of that statement is meant to be taken seriously.)

As a "stay lean to stay hungry" strategy, it'll work to keep people from getting complacent. No idea how successful such a strategy would be in the long term, though.

--Patrick

Developers aren't really strangers to this as they tend to bounce from project to project, company to company. That's really just how it goes.

IMHO? Suits.

They became successful, have a greedy overlord that wants more and more Bioshock games, they have had their share, want to start anew. If I'm an industry vet like Ken and have the option of

A) Make another Bioshock game for the suits with a bloated budget/team

or

B) Start something anew with a small team "like it used to be" and one's own boss.

I'd probably pick B as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1392753093,1392752939][/DOUBLEPOST]To me, it seems like he had the freedom to create games how he wanted with Irrational so he went with this.

FUCK SUITS.

GL Ken.

A lot of former staff (Irrational churned huge amounts of staff over the past 5 years) are shitting on Levine over this. Some calling him an egomaniac. Others pointing out that he could have restructured the company like Double Fine did and have teams working on smaller games, but Ken Levine made it about him.

Others pointing out that he could have restructured the company like Double Fine did and have teams working on smaller games, but Ken Levine made it about him.
That's exactly what I wondered. Why couldn't he have just done the Tim Schafer thing and split up the team into smaller teams to make their own games? Or hell, just do a total rip off (because it's a great idea) and do Amnesia Fortnight: Irrational Edition?

IMHO? Suits.

They became successful, have a greedy overlord that wants more and more Bioshock games, they have had their share, want to start anew. If I'm an industry vet like Ken and have the option of

A) Make another Bioshock game for the suits with a bloated budget/team

or

B) Start something anew with a small team "like it used to be" and one's own boss.
According to that letter, he's staying with Take2, so he can't be that annoyed at the "suits".

Ken leaving is one thing (he can do whatever he wants, and if he's creatively burned out from running a big studio and feels he can accomplish more with a lean team again, good for him).

It's the shuttering of Irrational that is really weird. I'm assuming they must have been having financial problems of some kind, because shuttering the studio just because you want to leave with your bros is an incredibly jerk move. I've heard that Ken Levine is an egomaniac, but that would really be something above and beyond that.

Speaking of Amnesia Fortnight, 2 Player Productions released the first video for the series. If you go to the Double Fine channel, you can watch separate videos for each of the ideas. Personally, I'm sad that the horror adventure game based on 70s and 80s movies didn't make the cut.

The studio shutdown is a pretty dick move. Granted, the folks that're now looking for employment have a few big titles under their belt now, but the game industry, much like the animation industry, is pretty ridiculous to get into and stay afloat in. I hope these folks can find some solid ground to land on.

I've heard that Ken Levine is an egomaniac, but that would really be something above and beyond that.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mine? They were lucky to even work with Ken. He's the one who sell the concept of Bioshock to a publisher with barely a tech demo working. From there, everything came into place.

While I don't have personal experiences in the game dev field, my wife certainly does and she has been working for a game publisher for a few years. From what I heard and discussed with her, nothing surprises me anymore.

I have to say, though, I'm not sold on the idea of Levine making a high-replay game.

I don't know about you all but BS1-Infinite are zero-replay games. The company could put a good story together, but I wonder how they can handle gameplay/collectibles/etc that would make me want to play their game more than once.

According to that letter, he's staying with Take2, so he can't be that annoyed at the "suits".
I'm 100% it's the suits.

The more I think about it, the more I'm certain.

Think of the 6 years it took to make the last game, the huge bloat, the budgets, the problems they had. This was the easiest way to get rid of a lot of staff.

Why?

Because contrary to belief, the last Bioshock game was a success of sorts... but not exactly what the investors were hoping for.

I have to say, though, I'm not sold on the idea of Levine making a high-replay game.

I don't know about you all but BS1-Infinite are zero-replay games. The company could put a good story together, but I wonder how they can handle gameplay/collectibles/etc that would make me want to play their game more than once.
Bioshock is a major replay game for me. It's like watching a favorite movie--I'm gonna do it more than once. So far I've played through Bioshock four times. Obviously I wouldn't replay it if it wasn't fun, but I love being immersed in Rapture and experiencing the story. I feel Bioshock Infinite will be the same, but I wanted to wait for all the DLC to be out before doing a replay. It'll be soon.

As for this, feels like a dick move. Why not just leave with the magic 15 and let the others stay or fall on their merits? Better than scattering them this way.

I'm 100% it's the suits.

The more I think about it, the more I'm certain.

Think of the 6 years it took to make the last game, the huge bloat, the budgets, the problems they had. This was the easiest way to get rid of a lot of staff.

Why?

Because contrary to belief, the last Bioshock game was a success of sorts... but not exactly what the investors were hoping for.
I think it's pretty naive to think that Bioshock Infinite's problems were all publisher related.

This is an anecdote about the former lead artist from Irrational:

In the past year, a number of high level employees quietly left Irrational for similar jobs at other studios. Levine acknowledges that, in some part, departures are a response to the company's abnormally intense iteration practices.

"I'm a bit of a slow chiseler, you know?" says Levine. "So it doesn't bother me that much. I think it's probably tougher for other people on the team. I think that's probably hard for some people."

Nate Wells, the art director of BioShock Infinite, and arguably the best known Irrational employee after Levine, was susceptible to massive creative gutting. This anecdote from a colleague of Wells gives an idea of what iteration, at its most extreme, was like in the office.

Levine and Wells had a blowout fight over Finkton. In BioShock Infinite, Finkton is the shantytown, home to the workers and outcasts of the floating city of Columbia.

The art team and level designers had been working on Finkton for a long time, with Wells directing the style. The inspiration was like the slums in Jamaica or Key West. All of the housing was wooden and colorful, as if painted by the residents to make the depressed quarters more livable. And each bright shack was stacked atop the next, climbing into the sky like an anthill, with the skyline piercing through it.

Ken had been in level reviews numerous times. Then one day, the Finkton team was doing a play test, when Ken decided the entire stage was wrong. It looked like the residents lived in garbage. It needed to be beautiful, because Columbia was designed so that even the poor lived beautifully.

It was all wrong. And it had to go.

Wells was furious. Levine had been looking at this for months. In August of this year, Wells announced his new role as art director at Naughty Dog Studios.

That's Ken.

Still, the whole gutting thing? 100% suits. Ken wrote it, so odds are, he's getting "his way".

Don't get me wrong. Douches all around.

But I can't hate a man who gave me a new slightly inferior Shock game when god knows what happened to the original license.

That's Ken.

Still, the whole gutting thing? 100% suits. Ken wrote it, so odds are, he's getting "his way".

Don't get me wrong. Douches all around.

But I can't hate a man who gave me a new slightly inferior Shock game when god knows what happened to the original license.
It became Dead Space, then it became some shitty coop shooter.

It became Dead Space, then it became some shitty coop shooter.
In 2006, a trio of rumors hinted that Electronic Arts was making System Shock 3. First came a trademark application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Then came a couple of unconfirmed reports in Shacknews and PC Gamer U.K., with the latter publication reporting that EA’s Redwood Shores studio was handling development.

But even if EA wanted to publish another System Shock, the company didn't have the rights to do so. Back when the original game was made, producer Warren Spector negotiated a deal in which EA got the trademark to the series, while the developers at Looking Glass Studios kept the rights. To create another System Shock game, you need both. "My thinking was it would force us to be married so it never would be that either party should be able to say we own that, we’re making the next game, screw you," Spector told the San Jose Mercury News last November.

In hindsight, the deal only jeopardized System Shock’s future. Looking Glass Studios closed in 2000, a year after System Shock 2's release, and the copyright to the series went into the hands of an insurance company. That left EA with only the System Shock name, but no actual development rights.

In 2007, the System Shock trademark went dead, abandoned by EA. The Redwood Shores studio went on to develop Dead Space, a game with some uncanny similarities to System Shock -- upgradeable attributes, scattered audio logs and a desolate space station overrun by monsters -- but no conclusive evidence that the two games are related.

Indeed, dead Space 1 was a solid game but it was no System Shock. Terribly predictable AI made damn sure about that.

I'm a week late in posting this, but Jim Sterling had yet another amazing video on another questionable, angering trend in the video games industry, taking shot at Dungeon Keeper Mobile as the most recent example. Free to Wait gameplay.