Vatican Holds Conference on Extraterrestrial Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.universetoday.com/2009/11/10/vatican-holds-conference-on-extraterrestrial-life/

Though it may seem an unlikely location to happen upon a conference on astrobiology, the Vatican recently held a \"study week\" of over 30 astronomers, biologists, geologists and religious leaders to discuss the question of the existence of extraterrestrials. This follows the statement made last year by the Pope's chief astronomer, Father Gabriel Funes, that the existence of extraterrestrials does not preclude a belief in God, and that it's a question to be explored by the Catholic Church. The event, put on by the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, took place at the Casina Pio IV on the Vatican grounds from November 6-11. The conference was meant to focus on the scientific perspective on the subject of the existence of extraterrestrial life, and pulled in perspectives from atheist scientists and Catholic leaders alike. It was split into eight different segments, starting with a topics about life here on Earth such as the origins of life, the Earth's habitability through time, and the environment and genomes. Then the detection of life elsewhere, search strategies for extrasolar planets, the formation and properties of extrasolar planets was discussed, culminating in the last segment, intelligence elsewhere and 'shadow life' – life with a biochemistry completely different than that found on Earth.
Speakers at the event included notable physicist Paul Davies and Jill C. Tarter, the Director of the Center for SETI Research. Numerous astrobiologists and astronomers researching extrasolar planets also were in attendance to give lectures. The whole series of speech abstracts and a list of participants is available in a brochure on the Vatican site, here.
The event was held to mark the International Year of Astronomy, and the participants hope to collect the lectures into a book. Father Gabriel Funes, the chief astronomer of the Vatican, said in an interview to the Vatican paper, Osservatore Romano last year:
\"Just like there is an abundance of creatures on earth, there could also be other beings, even intelligent ones, that were created by God. That doesn't contradict our faith, because we cannot put boundaries to God's creative freedom. As saint Francis would say, when we consider the earthly creatures to be our \"brothers and sisters\", why couldn't we also talk about a \"extraterrestrial brother\"? He would still be part of creation.\"
Even with the discovery of over 400 exoplanets, the question of extraterrestrial life still remains to be answered in our own Solar System. It is a pertinent question for the religious and non-religious alike. Though it wasn't answered at this most recent conference, the existence of life outside what we know here on Earth has an equal impact on the findings of science as it does the meaning of religion. This event certainly brought the two under the same roof for what were surely some interesting and fruitful conversations.
Pretty interesting stuff, especially to a lapsed Catholic like myself.

C

Chibibar

Heh, This could be a good step. I always wonder what would one of the major religion would think about this. Of course if we happen to MEET aliens and they tell us that the universe is over 5 billions years old, what would the creationist believe? ;)

Heh, This could be a good step. I always wonder what would one of the major religion would think about this. Of course if we happen to MEET aliens and they tell us that the universe is over 5 billions years old, what would the creationist believe? ;)
Still wouldn't bother the Catholic Church. As long as it doesn't involve destroying embryos the Catholic Church is cool with science.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
You know... why do you assume that inteligent Aliens won't have a religion?

To play devil's advocate... what do we do if the Aliens not only have religion, but are also Christens/Jews/Muslims/Buddists/Etc? Could you imagine the MIND FUCK that would happen if we encountered an Alien species with the same religious beliefs and tenants as we have here on Earth? It would be the equivalent of declaring a "true" religion. There really isn't any way you could explain how they had it, short of it being introduced by an abductee from Earth.

I

Iaculus

To play devil's advocate... what do we do if the Aliens not only have religion, but are also Christens/Jews/Muslims/Buddists/Etc? Could you imagine the MIND FUCK that would happen if we encountered an Alien species with the same religious beliefs and tenants as we have here on Earth? It would be the equivalent of declaring a "true" religion. There really isn't any way you could explain how they had it, short of it being introduced by an abductee from Earth.
Dude... you mean you've never heard of the 'Jesus was an alien' theory?

Incidentally, I wonder if this would be the appropriate place to air that Rapture defence protocol cribbed from re-watches of Independence Day I cobbled together?

Dave

Staff member
The Catholics also had a conference debating the status of clones as Humans. They determined that clones do have souls which are unique from their original being.

C

Chibibar

You know... why do you assume that inteligent Aliens won't have a religion?[/QUOTE]

I don't think I ever said the alien doesn't have a religion.

I was saying how the creationist believe the earth is 5000 years old and doesn't believe in aliens or dinosaurs suddenly come to their doorstep and prove they are wrong (by being alien)

The point is that some religious view are very narrow. Like one of "God create man in his image" of course who created the alien? the same god? what if it looks like a walking lobster? I know that some might say God has many faces but they are all human in nature.

well.. I digress. I think Catholic Church is recognizing many science discovery and want to be "prepare" in case we DO meet sentient alien life out there.

You know... why do you assume that inteligent Aliens won't have a religion?
They'd just 'visit' because the space pope declared a crusade on us infidels.

In all seriousness, I doubt religion is really any priority for a space exploring species.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the Tau and their "Greater Good". God damn Space Commi's... at least they are better than those Gork and Mork the green guys worship.

I

Iaculus

Seriously, though, why wouldn't there be a few religious folks at the forefront of space exploration? Ultimate form of evangelism right there.

C

Chibibar

Seriously, though, why wouldn't there be a few religious folks at the forefront of space exploration? Ultimate form of evangelism right there.
cause these people think they are the "center of the universe" or "God's creation" and stuff like that. Heck, for a long while, the idea of alien is absurd as laws of physics.

I

Iaculus

cause these people think they are the "center of the universe" or "God's creation" and stuff like that. Heck, for a long while, the idea of alien is absurd as laws of physics.[/QUOTE]

For all of them, though?

Quite a few astronauts have been fairly devout believers - one of them described his voyages outside the atmosphere as 'touching the face of God'.

Green_Lantern

Staff member

ElJuski

Staff member
Why do these meetings remind me of how script writers get together to write their way out of plot holes and loose ends?

J

Joe Johnson

Either TNG, or the V remake.
V covers clones too?

I was referring to the TNG episode with Thomas Riker.[/QUOTE]

Not cloning - they cover how religion might react. They reference the pope giving some sort of decree about aliens not contradicting the bible, or some such.

Then, the dude from the 4400, and the chick from Lost join the resistance and stuff, after fighting Alpha from Dollhouse.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Either TNG, or the V remake.
V covers clones too?

I was referring to the TNG episode with Thomas Riker.[/QUOTE]

Not cloning - they cover how religion might react. They reference the pope giving some sort of decree about aliens not contradicting the bible, or some such.

Then, the dude from the 4400, and the chick from Lost join the resistance and stuff, after fighting Alpha from Dollhouse.[/QUOTE]

When Mulder and Agent J show up?

Cajungal

Staff member
Heh, cool. We discussed aliens in my Apologetics class back in high school for fun. My teacher said that, if there is a God, he wouldn't want us to try and convert aliens to Christianity. That and evolution were awesome discussion days. :D

Cajungal

Staff member
if there is a God, he wouldn't want us to try and convert aliens to Christianity
WHAAAA!?!?

How did he/she reach that conclusion?
It's been so long, I can't quite remember. I remember his cracking me up all the time. I wish I could find my old notes.

I think it was something like... Jesus probably wouldn't be able to relate to aliens that well. They would still be given some kind of Savior, but one they could understand. But I'm not exactly sure. Anyway, these discussion days were always about strange things like that. Another day we got to act out Jesus as a zombie and then as a ghost.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
if there is a God, he wouldn't want us to try and convert aliens to Christianity
WHAAAA!?!?

How did he/she reach that conclusion?
It's been so long, I can't quite remember. I remember his cracking me up all the time. I wish I could find my old notes.

I think it was something like... Jesus probably wouldn't be able to relate to aliens that well. They would still be given some kind of Savior, but one they could understand. But I'm not exactly sure. Anyway, these discussion days were always about strange things like that. Another day we got to act out Jesus as a zombie and then as a ghost.[/QUOTE]

wait, but Jesus already is a zombie!

figmentPez

Staff member
I was saying how the creationist believe the earth is 5000 years old and doesn't believe in aliens or dinosaurs suddenly come to their doorstep and prove they are wrong (by being alien)
There are "old earth creationists" as well as "young earth".

The point is that some religious view are very narrow. Like one of "God create man in his image" of course who created the alien? the same god? what if it looks like a walking lobster? I know that some might say God has many faces but they are all human in nature.
The concept of man being created in God's image isn't a matter of physical appearance. I think you'll find very few Christian groups believe that. There's a lot of debate as to the exact nature of what it does mean, but generally it's understood to mean a spiritual similarity. I lean towards the understanding that the passage explains itself, Gen 1:26 ""Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over..." Man is made in God's image because humans are meant to rule with God, and have dominion over creation.

Also, even if both aliens and the Christian God exist, that doesn't necessarily mean the aliens would be made in God's image. Angels are not made in God's image, nor are animals, plants or any other life.

Status
Not open for further replies.