Valheim

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently one of the things the update did was add a "join by IP" button into the join game menu. So, you can now join the server directly by IP if it doesn't show up in the list.

Down side is, my IP is dynamic, and although I have a dynamic DNS service (which names me gasbandit.zapto.org), the game does not resolve DNS, it literally wants an IP address.

Well, right now that address is 50.24.134.65, but if that address stops working, run a command prompt, and ping gasbandit.zapto.org, and that'll get you the new address.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, these Draugr attacks on my house are pretty brutal. I'm managing to stem most of the damage, but they almost always involve me dying at least twice.

if that address stops working, run a command prompt, and ping gasbandit.zapto.org, and that'll get you the new address.
If after this you are still having trouble joining, from your command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (in case your computer is refusing to let go of the old IP address) and then try pinging Gas' server again.

--Patrick

Man, these Draugr attacks on my house are pretty brutal. I'm managing to stem most of the damage, but they almost always involve me dying at least twice.
Out of curiosity and for my own preparation: how many days are stacked up on your server for the Draugr attacks to come?

GasBandit

Staff member
Out of curiosity and for my own preparation: how many days are stacked up on your server for the Draugr attacks to come?
We just passed day 200, but I think the Draugr started showing up around day 150.

Snuffles told me the scuttlebutt is around day 50, the Greydwarves will start invading. Around day 100, the trolls will start having seiges. Around day 150, the Draugr. After that... who the hell knows.

We just passed day 200, but I think the Draugr started showing up around day 150.

Snuffles told me the scuttlebutt is around day 50, the Greydwarves will start invading. Around day 100, the trolls will start having seiges. Around day 150, the Draugr. After that... who the hell knows.
I dreamed of ghosts last time I slept. And there are Wraiths in the swamp. I don't know if dreams are related to sieges though.

GasBandit

Staff member

Also sourced from this article: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/valheim-roadmap/

• Hearth And Home will focus on house building, giving players more things to do around their viking homes. Also focused on food preparation with more recipes as well as building components.
  • Cult Of The Wolf is all about exploration and combat
  • Ships And The Sea is based on ship customization and additions to the Ocean biome.
  • Mistlands will add a new biome with new enemies, items, resources and a new boss, plus more
  • Final game intends to have 9 biomes and bosses. Each biome will have its own boss and potentially mini-bosses.

GasBandit

Staff member
Love your base gas. From what I can see from the outside.
You should see the one Snuffles and Anna abandoned to the east..

Really, my home is a rather simple affair, prioritizing function and utility. If you want to see a structure I am a little proud of, you should see the bridge I built in the western black woods. It's a trick to make a weatherproof covered bridge over water wide enough for a cart that isn't incredibly jank.

You should see the one Snuffles and Anna abandoned to the east..

Really, my home is a rather simple affair, prioritizing function and utility. If you want to see a structure I am a little proud of, you should see the bridge I built in the western black woods. It's a trick to make a weatherproof covered bridge over water wide enough for a cart that isn't incredibly jank.
My bridge is a feat of engineering that I will hate forever.

Also, the base we abandoned has nothing on our new base.

GasBandit

Staff member
Can someone tell me in what direction i could find the swamp?
The swamps I've found have all required a boat to access. There's one to the southwest, another to the southeast. It's a fair distance. There's probably more in almost every direction, but I'm betting it won't be reachable on foot.

If Dei is on when you're on, I bet she can ping at least a couple swamps for you.
True, but we've been clearing the iron out of the swamps we know about, so idk if that's useful. That said, I have a camp by a swamp that we're not really accessing anymore and I know it has at least one untouched dungeon. It's pretty much directly south of the vendor.

Oh, also we haven't touched the swamp the third boss is at other than to drop a portal and fight him. I could give you access to that portal and you can have that swamp all to yourself, or I can show you the sea route.

GasBandit

Staff member
As for myself, I need to hit the elder again. My swamp key is gone and rather than replace it with cheat codes, I thought I might try tackling him again with slightly different tactics. I've been watching some youtube videos, and what they recommend doing is getting in closer and using the stone columns of his sacrificial altar for cover from the vines, and ringing the area with campfires before summoning him - both to keep yourself warm at night, and because his melee stomp causes him damage if he stomps a campfire, which will set him on fire. They say if you do it this way, you can solo him with less than 100 bronze arrows.

As for myself, I need to hit the elder again. My swamp key is gone and rather than replace it with cheat codes, I thought I might try tackling him again with slightly different tactics. I've been watching some youtube videos, and what they recommend doing is getting in closer and using the stone columns of his sacrificial altar for cover from the vines, and ringing the area with campfires before summoning him - both to keep yourself warm at night, and because his melee stomp causes him damage if he stomps a campfire, which will set him on fire. They say if you do it this way, you can solo him with less than 100 bronze arrows.
If you need a swamp key, i got a second one. The Elder dropped 2 when i killed him. Its inside one of the chests inside my home.

Also, if anyone wants to be authorized on the wards to our base, let me know and I'll hook you up.

GasBandit

Staff member
Lag manifests itself in really odd ways in this game. Emrys was playing with me, and normally in games there would be rubberbanding or disconnections... but all that happened from her point of view was that events that were occuring in game would not be shown to her for nearly 45 seconds. This, despite our discord conversation being instant and (usually) clear, and the fact that I could stream my game to her and she could watch it.
Lately I notice this has been happening to ME, too. And that really shouldn't happen, given that I'm in the same room, on the same network switch, as the server.

So I did some investigating. Apparently Valheim has an upload rate limit hard-baked into its DLLs of 60k/s. Looks like this has been a problem for other people as well, and somebody figured out how to decompile and recompile the DLL to up that limit.

So, I've increased it from 60k/s to 256 k/s. Let's see if this helps. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just go ahead and up it to 1 mb/s.

I made a little item swap hut by the stone circle, so you can put things you don't need in it, and take things you do need/want out. Just please don't fill it with trash items like fir cones and dwarf trophies. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I made a little item swap hut by the stone circle, so you can put things you don't need in it, and take things you do need/want out. Just please don't fill it with trash items like fir cones and dwarf trophies. :p
But somebody might need my fir cones! :p

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I've increased it from 60k/s to 256 k/s. Let's see if this helps. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just go ahead and up it to 1 mb/s.
Obviously not enough. I got the lag again today, where a troll did not register any of my arrow hits, walked past me, then I registered a troll hit killing me 20 seconds later. Next opportunity I get, I'll increase it tenfold instead of fourfold.

Thought

Since Snuffles and I have been slowly pillaging our way south, would people prefer that we continue going south and leave the north seas to the rest of you?

I'm not saying we'll never go north, just if we do we won't take anything.