Valheim

GasBandit

Staff member
Would anyone be interested in trying out Valheim? It's a 1-10 player co-op PvE survival game set in a viking mythos. It has REALLY good reviews, and is blowing up. Comes from Coffee Stain, the same company that did Satisfactory, Deep Rock Galactic, and, uh, well, Goat Simulator.

I'm thinking about setting up a server on my... well, server.
So, yeah... I went ahead and started a Valheim server. I barely puttered around in it for a couple day/night cycles, repaired a ruined hut and stuck a bed and workbench in it, killed some wildlife, cut down some trees, fought some greydwarves. It's definitely got some appeal to it, and I was surprised that the game client is only 500 megs. It's a deceptively simple game, but I like how even in early access it has very little "jank" in it. Like, it's already light years better than, say, 7 days to die.

My only gripe is the enforced 3rd person perspective, but that's not a dealbreaker.

And here's something interesting... your character, with all his/her skills and inventory, seems to be independent of what server you play on (or solo game). So you could play on one server for a while, load up your stuff in your inventory, and then go to another server.

Anyway, if anyone wants in, on the "join" menu just search for my name, and the password is (PASSWORD CHANGED, PM ME FOR PASSWORD). If it doesn't show up, use the steam server window (main steam window, top left corner, view menu, servers) to add gasbandit.zapto.org:42457 to your favorites list. You might have to stop the refresh before it finishes to get the server to stop disappearing.

EDIT: the game now lets you join by IP. From a command prompt, type "ping gasbandit.zapto.org" to get whatever my current ip address is.

I HAD TO CHANGE THE SERVER PORT TO 42456.

Last edited:
I think that this game has a Terraria like inventory system where your character can just bounce around between different servers and keep their inventory, right?

I think that this game has a Terraria like inventory system where your character can just bounce around between different servers and keep their inventory, right?
Yeah..in fact, when you join a server, they give you a warning message that you could lose all your stuff on that server and suggest making a "server only" character to play with. (Or maybe they did that to me because I only had one character and immediately used it to join GB's server)

Yeah, everyone I've seen play this has said it's basically Viking Terraria 3D.

The server appears offline, so I took it single-player and learned how to build a house. I was able to find a lot more animals in the local server, so I got plenty of meat. :D

Here's a good guide.

Reactions: Far

Dave

Staff member
Valheim is early access and updates quite frequently. My server has to be updated almost every day or it’s stopped.

The server appears offline, so I took it single-player and learned how to build a house. I was able to find a lot more animals in the local server, so I got plenty of meat. :D

Here's a good guide.
It's not offline, Snuffles and I have been playing for the last few hours. We even saw you get on the game.

GasBandit

Staff member
It never showed up in the list when I was hunting for it. I got on cause I saw you guys in game.
Apparently there's a common bug in Valheim where sometimes a given server won't show up in the list for no reason at all. You can join us by doing a "join game" from the friends list, or add gasbandit.zapto.org:2457 to your steam server list, then filter your favorites for Valheim only, and join from there.

To get it to work, I had to make the steam server browser SPECIFICALLY filter for Valheim servers, because it apparently reports as a server with no game otherwise, and steam won't know what game to launch.

Also, sometimes the server "vanishes" if you let the refresh finish, so hit refresh, then the instant "Gasbandit's Server" shows up in the list, hit "stop refresh."

Apparently there's a common bug in Valheim where sometimes a given server won't show up in the list for no reason at all. You can join us by doing a "join game" from the friends list, or add gasbandit.zapto.org:2457 to your steam server list, then filter your favorites for Valheim only, and join from there.

To get it to work, I had to make the steam server browser SPECIFICALLY filter for Valheim servers, because it apparently reports as a server with no game otherwise, and steam won't know what game to launch.

Also, sometimes the server "vanishes" if you let the refresh finish, so hit refresh, then the instant "Gasbandit's Server" shows up in the list, hit "stop refresh."
Learn something new every day ;)

Sometimes the server list can take time to populate. If you type in Gasbandit under the search field it can take a couple minutes to pop up.
Yeah, I let it fill up to 4738 servers, and his server never showed. But his trick above is working just fine for me.

Now my biggest problem is finding boars so that I can make a bow and kill Eikthyr. Someone's already done it once on Gas' server, so I don't know if I can do it again there or if I'll have to do it on my local instance I've been using for wood.

Yeah, I let it fill up to 4738 servers, and his server never showed. But his trick above is working just fine for me.

Now my biggest problem is finding boars so that I can make a bow and kill Eikthyr. Someone's already done it once on Gas' server, so I don't know if I can do it again there or if I'll have to do it on my local instance I've been using for wood.
Snuffles and I did it last night, but I'm pretty sure you can summon him again, since you need antlers for the pick.

Gonna try joining the server after downloading the game. Was looking for a survival crafting game to play.
Could someone DM me the password?

Last edited:
Gonna try joining the server after downloading the game. Was looking for a survival crafting game to play.
Could someone DM me the password?
Anyway, if anyone wants in, on the "join" menu just search for my name, and the password is Halforums. If it doesn't show up, use the steam server window (main steam window, top left corner, view menu, servers) to add gasbandit.zapto.org:2457 to your favorites list. You might have to stop the refresh before it finishes to get the server to stop disappearing.
Suggestion: Since this thread has mostly become the Valheim thread lately, should we start another thread/forum for it, a la Empyrion?

Man, Anna and Snuffles are just tearing their way up the tech tree. I can hear them all "We need this to make plate armor and portals." and I'm all "Wooo! I just made a flint knife!"

• Agree
Reactions: Dei
Started playing last night and within 20 minutes Sarah was peeking over my shoulder and asking "What's game is that?" Another 20 and she was in game saying "Uh oh, I could get lost in this."

So we'll probably jump on at somepoint.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
At first I was really disappointed in the flint axe - it did no better on beech trees than the regular stone axe, and all its stats seem identical. But when my level 3 stone axe was about to give out cutting pine, I had my flint axe in my inventory and switched to it just to finish up, and was surprised to find that the level 1 flint axe was doing double damage to the pine tree than the stone axe was.

So I guess it does have a place in the progression.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, for Surtling Cores, you might have to make a solo game and find a dungeon. Fortunately you can take your character there just as well equipped as here.

After some tragic mishaps and an extremely long naked boat ride, portals are available from Snuffles and my base to both the second and third boss. The third boss is next to a swamp biome, which is the next place to go after you kit out in bronze, but it is nasty. There is a shop near the second boss altar which sells some neat stuff for coins, like a fishing pole or a light up helmet. There is also an untouched Burial Ground (as of this post) between the boss altar and the shop, if anyone wants to go spelunking for cores.

(The one on the right is the second boss area, the one on the left is the third)

Last edited:
Too deep in Conan right now to do anything new (especially since Cranky has started playing), but once I start, which server do I play? Is Gas running mods Dave isn't? What's the difference? Is one hardcore?

--Patrick