Utah State Senator wants to honor gunmaker with holiday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
/facepalm

"If the race baiters are out there looking for an opportunity, I'm not going to give it to them," he said. "I'll walk away and find another day."
Its.... that's just.... It wouldn't be a race thing!

North_Ranger

Staff member
On the Good Idea - Bad Idea scale I think this is somewhere between taking a dive in a tank full of used syringes and taking nude pictures of the pope.

Or a man of peace sharing his special day with a man whose inventions lead to the death of millions.

Utah just can't do it like Texas. MLK day in Texas coincides with Confederate Heroes Day.

Or a man of peace sharing his special day with a man whose inventions lead to the death of millions.

Utah just can't do it like Texas. MLK day in Texas coincides with Confederate Heroes Day.
While I agree that he shouldn't share the same day as MLK, I think it's more than a little unfair to call John Brown a monster just because he designed some of the most iconic and useful weapons of the 20th century. MLK may not have approved, but even Ghandi acknowledged that not everyone could or should follow his total pacifism philosophy.

Dave

Staff member
The weapon that James Earl Ray is believed to have used in the assassination was a Remington Gamemaster Model 760 .243 caliber rifle.

Nope, it was a Remington that took King's life. -Dave ninja'd.

Still, it's like honoring Marie and Pierre Curie on a day commemorating the bombing if Hiroshima. Just not classy.

I

Iaculus

The weapon that James Earl Ray is believed to have used in the assassination was a Remington Gamemaster Model 760 .243 caliber rifle.
Yeah, I figured it wasn't, but the possibility was just too ghastly not to warrant mentioning.

While I agree that he shouldn't share the same day as MLK, I think it's more than a little unfair to call John Brown a monster just because he designed some of the most iconic and useful weapons of the 20th century. MLK may not have approved, but even Ghandi acknowledged that not everyone could or should follow his total pacifism philosophy.[/QUOTE]

I am a huge fan of Browning and his inventions. He is one of the true geniuses of all time. But, it just seems a little odd to have a day to celebrate his accomplishments; especially on MLK day, in Utah, to celebrate a white man, in a state with damn few minorities.

T

Twitch

The first thing I did when I read this was make sure he wasn't shot with a Browning. I couldn't find the model when I did it but one site said it was a .30-06 (apparently mistaken) and I figured it was safe to bet he didn't use a Browning

Status
Not open for further replies.