Export thread

US presidential election, the two thousand sixteenthening

strawman

strawman

So it begins. Hillary Clinton has made the first significant public move toward an assumed presidential run: she's criticized Obama.

There's a number of people pushing for Romney again, but I expect the GOP will let this run for awhile to allow him to absorb/deflect criticism while they build someone else in the background.

Seems Christie has lost a lot of his steam, but who knows, we've got time for them to fix him up.

Don't know who the other front runners are at the moment, but I expect this campaign season to start earlier and last painfully longer than previous elections.

Krisken

Krisken

I don't wanna :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

I don't wanna :(
And I know why.
Remember to vote for Burke Tuesday, by the way.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

There's a group wanting to draft WV Senator Joe Manchin to run.

Not just no, but fuck no. The man is an abject coward and a lapdog of the coal interests. When a man willfully pisses on the graves of family he lost in the Famington disaster of 1968, but uses their memory to try to prove he's "one of us", you know that he'll stab you in the back the moment someone waves a large enough contribution in his face.

Cajungal

Cajungal

No.

Krisken

Krisken

And I know why.
I'm just exhausted by the politics in this state. The abject terror of Glenn Grothman probably becoming a U.S. Senator makes the world a sadder place. You'll not find a stupider man in the House of Representatives.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Too many personal minutiae.
Not enough care remaining.

Now don't start thinking I'm saying it doesn't matter. It does, and quite a bit. I just do not have the luxury of dealing with it until its urgency level has surpassed my own.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

With the apathy around, we will get the President we deserve, not the one we want.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hate playing the team-choosing, side-picking stuff in "elections", but Please Let It Not Be Any Republican

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Hey guys, I hear Rick Perry might try to run again, what do you think! Lol

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yeah, it's true, I heard it from three separate news sources. The New York Times, CNN, and... uh... there was a third one... it's slipped my mind for the moment... it'll come to me soon... any minute now...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sure he'll try. Unfortunately for him, I think the Republicans want to win this time.

Espy

Espy

darthvadernooo.jpg

Tress

Tress

Honest question: is anyone here excited about Hilary Clinton, Mitt Romney, or Chris Christie? Those are the three big names at the moment, and I have yet to meet a person with real enthusiasm for any of them.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

too soon.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Christie... meh.

Hillary... meh.

Romney... uh, no.

Walker... Not only no, but HELL NO.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

too soon.
Pretty much. It's over two years until the election; odds are none of those three will be the final candidates.

Eriol

Eriol

Pretty much. It's over two years until the election; odds are none of those three will be the final candidates.
This is part of your guys' problem: CONTINUAL election cycles. It barely gets more than the occasional blips up here until the actual election is called. THEN we get what you guys get pretty much 24/7 down there.

No wonder you guys have political burn-out down there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ugh no

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is part of your guys' problem: CONTINUAL election cycles. It barely gets more than the occasional blips up here until the actual election is called. THEN we get what you guys get pretty much 24/7 down there.

No wonder you guys have political burn-out down there.
And by the time you get to election time, people stop caring.

This probably sounds paranoid, but I doubt it's by accident.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Honestly, I think the problem is more Congress than anything else. There's always someone trying to get re-elected, so everyone there plays "what have you done lately for me" bingo with their election promises. So the grandstanding never ever stops.

I wish we had a system for national referenda so we could toss out a "fire everyone in Congress every two terms (one term if I had my druthers) and elect exclusively new people" idea.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Long story short, @Eriol, we have a bare minimum influence or control over what goes on in our country on a national level and we're as pissed off with our government as every other country is pissed off with our government. The best we can do per state is scare an individual congressman into believing they won't be re-elected, but since it's just one or two people at a time, it carries little weight.

Yet we still have to hear about it every other year for months at a time.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's fun theater every year to see who the corporations and ultra-rich pick to be the face of their interests for the next 4 years.

GasBandit

GasBandit

http://2016.libertarian-party.org/

Drew Carey for president?

Dave

Dave

Libertarians are republicans using a more press-friendly name to fool those who think they are pro-small government into voting for them. It the latest buzzword for republicans who don't want to be associated with the tea party, but they are all the same sheep, just different colored wool.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Libertarians are republicans using a more press-friendly name to fool those who think they are pro-small government into voting for them. It the latest buzzword for republicans who don't want to be associated with the tea party, but they are all the same sheep, just different colored wool.
Them's fighting words.

Dave

Dave

Them's fighting words.
People always say that to those who tell the truth. :ninja:

GasBandit

GasBandit

People always say that to those who tell the truth. :ninja:
You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on the ass wearing a "Truth" onesie and carrying a sign that said the word "Truth" on it in bold Arial Black.

Sometimes I hope the phrase "President Ted Cruz" becomes truth, not because I think he'd be a good president or anything, but rather just to hear the lamentations of people who deserve to get pushed under that emotional steamroller.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, hoping for the US to go downhill. That's great, man.

And truth hasn't fit in a onesie for a very, very long time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's past the point of no return. Think our $17 trillion debt is bad? We have $128 trillion in unfunded liabilities and absolutely zero political will to stop spending, or even stop increasing spending every year. It's literally impossible for us to tax our way back to solvency. This plane's already shot down, it just has a few dozen thousand feet to glide through before it hits the ground.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like how they use a picture of fat Drew... it's like nobody likes skinny Drew.

Covar

Covar

you know everyone that's so bothered by the national elections wouldn't need to be if those same people didn't insist on having the Federal government involved in every single aspect of governance. Then again its the same people who complain about the two-party system while voting a straight party ballot, and absolutely refusing to even consider the merits of a third party or their candidates.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I like how they use a picture of fat Drew... it's like nobody likes skinny Drew.
They even said he was part owner of a soccer team, you all know that means that he is a Communist.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nobody recognizes skinny Drew.[DOUBLEPOST=1407781325,1407781133][/DOUBLEPOST]
I get the sentiment. And to be honest I'd actively cheer on the stampede over that cliff. It would be very emotionally satisfying for the ones who make the bad decisions to Get What's Coming To Them...if only I could do it from outside the situation. But I can't. So I still try. I don't get very far, though, since it's so flamin' difficult for an unfunded individual to effect any change.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

People want a change, but aren't willing to juggle the risks. People are used to the way things are, even when they're fucked up like the ethnic prejudices, the healthcare system, unemployment issues, economy, political corruption, etc. These evils suck, but we know them.

There are benefits to living in the U.S. You don't have to worry about military squads breaking into your house and ordering you at gunpoint to rape your children like was going on in the Congo. Americans don't have the government hauling women into hospitals and forcing abortions and sterilizations on them like in China.

And then look at our neighbor to the south and the upheaval going on there. No one wants that here, and they're afraid that any change to the political status quo could spark another civil war. There's really no way to dismantle the current government and establish something better without sacrifice, and as bad as things are at times, I think most people just want to live simple lives, have families, grow old, etc. They aren't going to risk that so Congress can get put in its place.

It wouldn't be so bad if we could vote to change it, but Congress makes the laws. We can't do anything to them. We can vote new members in, but so what? They then become members of Congress as well. There's no way for us to create another government body to take some of that power away, because Congress decides it. And it's made sure that the status quo will remain. Even peaceful protests like the Occupy stuff were stricken down harshly. You must not even have the thought of changing things, or else.

Bowielee

Bowielee

And I know why.
Already done. I'll be out of town, so had to file absentee.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

On the election - Hillary has the will, financial backing, and professional support needed to win. None of the Republicans have anything close to that and the idea that they would run Romney again is laughable, especially after he made it clear how much he hates about 45% of the population. Hillary will win, if only because Republican don't have a coherent platform anymore.

On Congress - Reverse Citizens United and make it so all campaign contributions must be reported by the donor. That's all that needs to happen.

Krisken

Krisken

On Congress - Reverse Citizens United and make it so all campaign contributions must be reported by the donor. That's all that needs to happen.
I'm not holding my breath. The citizenry has the internet now to placate them and keep them busy/entertained while Rome burns around them.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not holding my breath. The citizenry has the internet now to placate them and keep them busy/entertained while Rome burns around them.
This. Though many suffer, the majority are kept too comfortable to want to rock the boat too hard. I say that and it includes me. I want civil reform, not open revolution. I just know my way is unlikely to work because trying to get Congress to improve Congress, trying to get Congress to remove power from Congress, these aren't going to happen.

PatrThom

PatrThom

trying to get Congress to improve Congress, trying to get Congress to remove power from Congress, these aren't going to happen.
Oh, it could happen. It just requires a coordinated populace, and that's unfortunately unlikely.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

I've always been of the belief that there should be term limits on congress - and on all legislative elected positions (state) and the governors offices.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've always been of the belief that there should be term limits on congress - and on all legislative elected positions (state) and the governors offices.
What happens in those cases is that the defacto power will fall onto the unelected staff of these offices, with rotating figureheads ever couple of years. People who actually know how to do their jobs are irreplaceable and it's why you'll see some guys working in the same position for decades.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We're arguing about where the deck chairs go on the Titanic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Certainly it's tempting to believe so, but until,we hit the iceberg we should attempt to change course, if only to reduce the damage.
Below decks is an aquarium, but the band is still playing.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Make no mistake, the only people that would suffer in this "going over the edge" scenario are posting on this board. There will be absolutely zero consequences for the corporations and corporate interests in power. All politicians will be safe breathlessly blaming the other side.

Eriol

Eriol

Your system was screwed BEFORE that decision. That's not enough to stop it. You need to stop the money ITSELF. Canada's rules: $1000/person/year in political contributions. PERIOD. You want to volunteer your time knocking on doors? Go for it (uncompensated for gas, or whatever). But monetary? That's ALL you get to do. And corporations/charities/lobbying groups/etc are BANNED from contributing to candidates.

And as much as this last one can have bad, it has greater good: ban advertising from anybody BUT candidates or parties for 40 days (30 days, whatever), prior to the actual election date. Up here it's easier, as we have an actual 40-day countdown from dissolution of parliament, but something equivalent down there. While this does stifle the voices that aren't DIRECTLY involved, it also means that 3rd-party interests that don't have spending limits can't flood the airwaves (and internet, and print, etc). The good outweighs the bad.

Covar

Covar

Easy solution to political funding, put the NCAA in charge of politicians.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Easy solution to political funding, put the NCAA in charge of politicians.
But I don't want every Senator to be from Alabama.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Make no mistake, the only people that would suffer in this "going over the edge" scenario are posting on this board. There will be absolutely zero consequences for the corporations and corporate interests in power. All politicians will be safe breathlessly blaming the other side.
This is correct.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Let's just hope the debate goes better this time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I just don't see how Romney could win in 2016, let alone get the nomination. He got ravaged by that 47% thing and he hasn't exactly tried to do anything since... and there are much better Republican candidates they could run.

I'm not exactly thrilled with Hillary ether, but she's got all the connections and experience to do the job and the absolute failure of Benghazi (which has had at least -3- investigations that turned up nothing, including the one run by the Republicans) to become a scandal has shown just how deft she is, politically. It doesn't hurt that she'd likely be bringing Bill to the table as well and, like him or not, his people and political skills are phenomenal. That's two premiere, relevant statesmen vs a vulture capitalist.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the absolute failure of Benghazi (which has had at least -3- investigations that turned up nothing, including the one run by the Republicans) to become a scandal has shown just how deft she is, politically.
I'm as cynical as the next guy and no hillary supporter, but I think that's less her being a Teflon Don and more that there was just literally NOTHING there in Benghazi

GasBandit

GasBandit

Except, you know, the corpses of an ambassador and 3 other americans whose deaths were caused by systematic bureaucratic incompetence and cynical apathy, but which were instead then blamed on a youtube video nobody had ever heard of for the purposes of furthering a political agenda.

But other than that, yeah, nothing at all.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Except, you know, the corpses of an ambassador and 3 other americans whose deaths were caused by systematic bureaucratic incompetence and cynical apathy, but which were instead then blamed on a youtube video nobody had ever heard of for the purposes of furthering a political agenda.

But other than that, yeah, nothing at all.
come on, I hold you in higher esteem than House Republicans

Terrik

Terrik

come on, I hold you in higher esteem than House Republicans
What part of his statement is false?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

everything except the part about the corpses, and "nothing at all"

Terrik

Terrik

everything except the part about the corpses, and "nothing at all"
I distinctly remember the white house heralding that youtube video as the cause.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I distinctly remember the white house heralding that youtube video as the cause.
The guy who made it got thrown in jail.

Terrik

Terrik

Which returns me to my original question: What part of your statement was false? I'm not seeing anything.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Police state, I tells ya.

*ducks and hides*

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just don't see how Romney could win in 2016, let alone get the nomination. He got ravaged by that 47% thing
And TWP just posted this interactive tool to compare your house against that of "Champion of the Poor" Romney's California abode.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I am unbelievably saddened that Mitt isn't running

PatrThom

PatrThom

I am unbelievably saddened that Mitt isn't running
I know, right? Think of the memes that could have been!

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

And TWP just posted this interactive tool to compare your house against that of "Champion of the Poor" Romney's California abode.

--Patrick
His living room is bigger than my whole apartment :(

Krisken

Krisken

His living room is bigger than my whole apartment :(
Well yeah. I'm surprised his bathroom isn't bigger than your apartment. He needs room to shit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well yeah. I'm surprised his bathroom isn't bigger than your apartment. He needs room to shit.
Are you trying to say he has a.. wide stance?

Krisken

Krisken

Are you trying to say he has a.. wide stance?
No sir. I would never make assumptions about his stance. I would say he is full of shit though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No sir. I would never make assumptions about his stance. I would say he is full of shit though.
Well, that seems to be a job requirement, really.

Krisken

Krisken

Well, that seems to be a job requirement, really.
Too true. I can count on one hand the people in our government who really appear to give a shit about the people they represent. It's not a lot of spots on that one hand, either.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Too true. I can count on one hand the people in our government who really appear to give a shit about the people they represent. It's not a lot of spots on that one hand, either.

Remember Ron Paul retired :(

Krisken

Krisken

Remember Ron Paul retired :(
I have to admit, he really believed what he did was for the betterment of his constituents. I think his son Rand doesn't have an ounce of Ron's integrity, though.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Ron was my representative in Brazoria County, I was always proud of that fact.