[Brazelton] US Ambassador to Libya killed, consulate burned down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, I forgot that no one in this world has ever hit anyone else, ever; because hitting people is wrong.

GasBandit

Staff member
It is a predictable outcome. If y then x.
Once again you are dismissing free will and personal responsibility. That it is a predictable outcome that disparaging islam causes muslims to murder is a condemnation of islam, not disparaging speech. The choice to commit violence is a choice.

And more and more evidence is being found that this was a long mulled and premeditated choice, not a spontaneous act of rage. A planned, calculated, organized effort of violence and murder.

Where do I recuse anyone of their actions?

Each and every time some one publicly burns a Koran, makes a cartoon about Mohamed... etc... violence happens. So the people that spark the radicals into action hold some responsibility for what happens.

GasBandit

Staff member
Where do I recuse anyone of their actions?

Each and every time some one publicly burns a Koran, makes a cartoon about Mohamed... etc... violence happens. So the people that spark the radicals into action hold some responsibility for what happens.
Each and every girl who dresses provocatively holds some responsibility for the subsequent sexual assault?

In the news today -

Well, we knew the violent protests against the now infamous anti-Muslim video weren't going to end with a statement from President Obama -- thousands of demonstrators currently are assaulting U.S. and Western diplomatic compounds in Tunisia, Sudan, and Yemen, and authorities are trying to quell the attacks with tear gas and guns.

Since Tuesday's fatal aggression by militants in Benghazi and Cairo, protests have spread to Afghanistan, India, Bahrain, Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Morocco, Kuwait, Syria, Pakistan, and Qatar.

The message of the American flag-burning protesters seems to be universal: "Death to America."

In Iraq, one banner read: "Freedom doesn't mean offending two billion Muslims."

Edit - And this is my 10,000th post, apparently.

Since Tuesday's fatal aggression by militants in Benghazi and Cairo, protests have spread to Afghanistan, India, Bahrain, Jordan, Iran, Iraq, Morocco, Kuwait, Syria, Pakistan, and Qatar.

The message of the American flag-burning protesters seems to be universal: "Death to America."
Don't forget Israel, Sudan, London, Yemen, and Alexandria and other parts of Egypt. Oh yeah, and Tunisia.

It is a predictable outcome. If y then x.
So, you agree that if people kill off enough abortion providers on a regular basis, then anyone who provides abortion services should accept the responsibility of their actions? Might makes right?

You are essentially saying that if some crazy cult in west africa sacrifices a child every time some infant is baptized into the catholic church, then those performing baptisms, getting baptized, or having their children baptized are responsible for the death of the child in africa.

That is simply ludicrous. The murderers are responsible for the deaths. They could have chosen the tide height at a given time every day, or the appearance of the moon at twilight, or the number of fish the village caught that day. THEY chose to cause the murder, and THEY chose the conditions.

Besides, there are hundreds and probably thousands of offensive-to-muslims words, images, etc created every year and only a tiny fraction of them lead to violence. Retaliation is spotty at best. There is no "if y then x". At best there's a "If y, then rarely x" - and you're saying that we need to stop all forms of this type of expression just to avoid the violence of another person on the one in a thousand chance that they decide it's worth being violent for?

Abortion Providers know that they are in danger from the work they do. They don't hide under a rock every time some nutjob makes a threat against their lives.

It is not about might makes right. It is cause and effect. I don't let anyone off for their actions, ANYONE.

The only morals I am talking about is for the instigator that sits back and cowers after he gets people angry.

It is just not innocent to inflame people, even if the inflamed are overly touchy and need to get over themselves.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well. At least you're consistent in your convictions, I'll give you that. Even if they are incredibly misguided.

Ok, NOW can I make note of the adidas sweatpants?
Yes, now it's completely appropriate. Especially since Germany hasn't even been involved in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In fact, if I recall correctly (which I may not), the last time the Germans were involved in a war in the Middle East or Northern Africa, Rommel was involved.

See, this I don't agree with, on the part of the government. (Google has rejected a request by the federal government that they reconsider whether or not the video violates the ToS of YouTube).

See, I genuinely didn't know that. Last I'd heard, they'd refused to provide any troops for either war.
It is not so much that they refused to send troops, but the constitution that we wrote for them after the war did not allow them to...[DOUBLEPOST=1347660059][/DOUBLEPOST]I am not too sure when it changed.

On one hand, you don't want to promote the idea that simply offending islam results in moral or possibly even criminal liability.

On the other, I can't help but feel something's not quite right when the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff needs to go hat-in-hand to ask some damn Florida pastor not to undermine the foreign policy of a world power. And get a non-committal response.
General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, called a Florida pastor on Wednesday and asked him to withdraw his support for a film whose portrayal of the Prophet Mohammad has been linked to violent protests - including one that ended with the death of America's envoy to Libya.

"In the brief call, Gen. Dempsey expressed his concerns over the nature of the film, the tensions it will inflame and the violence it will cause," Dempsey's spokesman, Colonel Dave Lapan, told Reuters.

U.S. military officials are concerned that the film could inflame tensions in Afghanistan, where 74,000 U.S. troops are fighting. The Taliban called on Afghans on Wednesday to prepare for a fight against Americans and urged insurgents to "take revenge" on U.S. soldiers over the film.

Y

Yoink

According to the news here, the attack on the german embassy in Sudan is not directly related to that movie. There have been some anti-islam-demonstrations in germany by right partys where caricatures of Mohammed were used and that ignited the mob. Luckily the embassys staff was prepared for this, so no one was killed.

The Sudanese foreign office even demanded chancellor Merkel to ban the use of Mohammed caricatures in germany.

Seriously, whats up with these people. Thousands of muslims have died in Syria and the reaction in the middle east is basically "whatever". Some stupid movie and caricatures depreciate their religion and the shit is on fire. I guess Assad is really happy right now for the diversion.

Funny fact about Puma and Adidas,Puma was founded after a falling out between the two brothers who owned Adidas and one brother(i think the younger one) left Adidas and opened Puma in the same town.Its crazy down there.You are either an Adidas person or a Puma one and they hate each other.

Funny fact about Puma and Adidas,Puma was founded after a falling out between the two brothers who owned Adidas and one brother(i think the younger one) left Adidas and opened Puma in the same town.Its crazy down there.You are either an Adidas person or a Puma one and they hate each other.
Sounds like a reason to riot!

Status
Not open for further replies.