Export thread

Unable to access Halforums without proxy... again.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm getting access problems again, @Dave. I can get to the site with a proxy but it's giving "unable to find server" issues without one. Is this a DNS thing again? Did something happen server side or is this on my end?

Dave

Dave

Nothing changed on my end that I know of. I'm opening a ticket.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Huh... well I have access back now. It was down for at least 12-16 hours though... maybe a DNS thing?

Jay

Jay

Scummy American ISPs

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Scummy American ISPs
Usually when this happens it's because the webhost switched servers, updated security incorrectly, or did something else server side. My net provider (WoWWay) is actually pretty great in most regards. Never get warning letters... no data cap... price is competitive with Comcast and TW but with much better service... service techs are actually on time and good at their job. I'm actually kind of impressed with them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

WoW is one of the better US ISPs, I believe.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

I'm having the same problem here. I can access the site from work but not from home.

Dave

Dave

Are you guys still having issues? The host can't seem to find anything amiss. We need more information or the ability to ping or something.

MindDetective

MindDetective

No, it started working again the next day for me. It was inaccessible from work for about 24 hours, though. That might have been for the best...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, same as @MindDetective. About 16 hours for me and now it's fine. No idea what happened.

Cog

Cog

Same here.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are we all using the same DNS server? If we're all close to the same region is might explain the problem. I'm in Central Ohio.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cog is definitely not in the same region. I never had a DNS issue, and I use 8.8.8.8 for my DNS (google)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I never had an issue.

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

Are we all using the same DNS server? If we're all close to the same region is might explain the problem. I'm in Central Ohio.
Southwest Oregon here.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Having access problems at the moment. Pings are either coming back all dropped or taking 44 ms.

Dave

Dave

Getting hit with a DDoS. Host is looking into it now. Has been for about an hour.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Getting hit with a DDoS. Host is looking into it now. Has been for about an hour.
Geez, who did we piss off enough to make that happen?

blotsfan

blotsfan

It was Dave! He took this place down for the insurance money!

Dave

Dave

Geez, who did we piss off enough to make that happen?
Nobody. They are attacking the host server. Could be anyone on it, although there's only a couple at the moment anyway.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Does this have anything to do with Heartbleed, by any chance?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Doubtful. An attempt to exploit Heartbleed would in fact be impaired by a DDOS attack.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Think this is happening again. Currently here via proxy. Really weird.

Dave

Dave

I haven't changed anything. ANYTHING!! Maybe it's being attacked by my cable company. They are fucking everything else up.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I haven't changed anything. ANYTHING!! Maybe it's being attacked by my cable company. They are fucking everything else up.
Who knows? Could be another DDS attack like last time or they switched the servers so my DNS needs to catch up again. WoWWay is great for a lot of things but THIS seasonal event is getting old.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

no problems getting in on my end.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It was the DNS server. Tweaked my settings. Hopefully this won't happen again.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yup. It's happening to me now. Probably just a matter of letting 204.10.162.137 propagate through the DNS system.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Weird. Nothing has changed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Weird. Nothing has changed.
It wasn't on your end, at least in my case. WoWWay had to do some changes to it's local DNS server, which brought down some sites... so I started using one that goes down less often instead.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just use google's DNS servers, and never seem to have issues.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I blame my issues on the fact that I still haven't set my in-house DNS back up yet.

Soon.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ok, it's getting rather annoying, now. I know it's probably not strictly DNS-related but I don't know what's up.

-Try to go to https://www.halforums.com/xenforo/ in my browser? Failure to load, DNS error.
-Go to https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xenforo in my browser? Site loads up fine but presents me with an SSL error about site mismatch (duh).
-Add the proper IP address to my hosts file? Everything is fine again.
-Try from my phone? Fail. In fact, no computer in my house can go to www.halforums.com, everything on my network fails to connect.
-Turn off WiFi on my phone and do it via cellular? Works fine.

Sounds simple, right? Must be a DNS problem ... EXCEPT for the following results:
-Try to ping halforums.com from a command line? The URL is immediately converted properly to the IP address and everything is fine. I get 4 ping responses with about a 40ms ping time, no problem, and this was after clearing my DNS cache and with no entry in the hosts file.

I have forwarders set on my router, I'm wondering if something is up. This is becoming spectacularly annoying mainly because I don't have this problem with any other website I visit.

--Patrick

Simfers

Simfers

Just want to report that I'm currently unable to access the site from my computer (running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 and using either Firefox 35.0.1 or Safari 8.0.3, for the record). I've been having intermittent issues, but this is the longest, at four hours and counting.

Weirdly, I never have any problems accessing the site using my BlackBerry.

So yeah, I don't know what's happening and I'm scared...

Dave

Dave

Nothing has changed on our end.

Simfers

Simfers

Yeah, and it's back now, Everything seems to be going fine. I guess I'll never understand the vagaries of computer thingamajigs.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, and it's back now, Everything seems to be going fine. I guess I'll never understand the vagaries of computer thingamajigs.
Just out of curiosity, are you running your blackberry off your wifi, or its own cellular data connection?

Simfers

Simfers

No wi-fi, just the cell signal.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No wi-fi, just the cell signal.
Then it's my opinion your ISP's DNS is fooking with you. If you change your DNS to Google's DNS, I bet you won't have this problem so much.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Simfers

Simfers

Thank you Mr. Bandit! :thumbsup:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That was exactly my problem before.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So far, it seems to be DNS-related every time this thread gets a bump.

--Patrick

Simfers

Simfers

Welp, just tried it and so far so good, we'll see if it sticks. Precedent seems to be on my side anyway.

Thanks for your help, guys!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

This one was weird. I tried to log in while connected to a VPN while at work. Got a "This Account Has Been Suspended" page. Went in with Safari on my iPad, which was on hotel wi-fi. Nothing wrong. Disconnect from the VPN, and I get here fine.

Well here's the problem. Tracerts going to different destinations.

Tracert with VPN on:

Tracert with VPN off:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I had the same problem. I just exited out to the Halforums homepage, then came in the forums from there.

Still weird though.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Connected to the VPN again and it's fine. Hrm. :confused:

Dave

Dave

There was a server that took a shit. The backup apparently denied the requests for connection. Host had to physically go to the server farm and hot swap.

PatrThom

PatrThom

There was a server that took a shit. The backup apparently denied the requests for connection. Host had to physically go to the server farm and hot swap.
That explains why time wound back a bit there.
I noticed this morning that some of the posts I read last night were marked as unread again this morning and figured something like that had to have happened.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

TIL HF supports pastebin. :)