[Bug] Unable to access Halforums without proxy... again.

I'm getting access problems again, @Dave. I can get to the site with a proxy but it's giving "unable to find server" issues without one. Is this a DNS thing again? Did something happen server side or is this on my end?

Scummy American ISPs
Usually when this happens it's because the webhost switched servers, updated security incorrectly, or did something else server side. My net provider (WoWWay) is actually pretty great in most regards. Never get warning letters... no data cap... price is competitive with Comcast and TW but with much better service... service techs are actually on time and good at their job. I'm actually kind of impressed with them.

Dave

Staff member
Are you guys still having issues? The host can't seem to find anything amiss. We need more information or the ability to ping or something.

No, it started working again the next day for me. It was inaccessible from work for about 24 hours, though. That might have been for the best...

Are we all using the same DNS server? If we're all close to the same region is might explain the problem. I'm in Central Ohio.

Dave

Staff member
I haven't changed anything. ANYTHING!! Maybe it's being attacked by my cable company. They are fucking everything else up.

I haven't changed anything. ANYTHING!! Maybe it's being attacked by my cable company. They are fucking everything else up.
Who knows? Could be another DDS attack like last time or they switched the servers so my DNS needs to catch up again. WoWWay is great for a lot of things but THIS seasonal event is getting old.

Yup. It's happening to me now. Probably just a matter of letting 204.10.162.137 propagate through the DNS system.

--Patrick

Ok, it's getting rather annoying, now. I know it's probably not strictly DNS-related but I don't know what's up.

-Try to go to https://www.halforums.com/xenforo/ in my browser? Failure to load, DNS error.
-Go to https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xenforo in my browser? Site loads up fine but presents me with an SSL error about site mismatch (duh).
-Add the proper IP address to my hosts file? Everything is fine again.
-Try from my phone? Fail. In fact, no computer in my house can go to www.halforums.com, everything on my network fails to connect.
-Turn off WiFi on my phone and do it via cellular? Works fine.

Sounds simple, right? Must be a DNS problem ... EXCEPT for the following results:
-Try to ping halforums.com from a command line? The URL is immediately converted properly to the IP address and everything is fine. I get 4 ping responses with about a 40ms ping time, no problem, and this was after clearing my DNS cache and with no entry in the hosts file.

I have forwarders set on my router, I'm wondering if something is up. This is becoming spectacularly annoying mainly because I don't have this problem with any other website I visit.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Just want to report that I'm currently unable to access the site from my computer (running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 and using either Firefox 35.0.1 or Safari 8.0.3, for the record). I've been having intermittent issues, but this is the longest, at four hours and counting.

Weirdly, I never have any problems accessing the site using my BlackBerry.

So yeah, I don't know what's happening and I'm scared...