Two silly questions about new stuff...

And oh yes, don't I feel like an idiot for having to ask them. But such is life.

A) I'm surfing on my girlfriend's new laptop, Win8 and all that. Still using the built-in Internet Explorer for now (don't want to start installing too much crap too fast). I can see most website images just fine, but many/most of the images people link to don't show up. I guess it's one or the other safety measure blocking images from other sites loading or some such, but I can't for the life of me figure out where those settings are. Right-clicking doesn't bring up a menu anymore and I'm only slowly adjusting to the new lay-out.

B) I also tried surfing on my girlfriend's new tablet (can you tell she got fed up using my broken laptop-plugged-into-a-screen and hers was even worse, and I haven't been ble to finish my new desktop yet? Yeah). I wouldn't mind installing TapaTalk (because, you know, not installing too much but bas necessities like HalForums need to work :p), but I can't figure out where. I tried following Dave's link to the free community reader, which didn't work. I went through the Amazon App Store, found it, but it says I'm in the wrong country. Fair enough, but it doesn't give me a clue what version of Amazon I'm supposed to use - or what other place I can find it where it doesn't care I'm in Belgium. Or, for that matter, why the version of the app store loaded on this Belgium-only tablet won't work in Belgium. Eh? In the mean time, every (HF) page I open through the normal site has an overlay with two big buttons - "open in app" grayed out and "install" on the other one. A link that doesn't work, by the way. Anyone a suggestion where best to find this app thing you all seem to like so much? :)

GasBandit

Staff member
I have to agree with the others. Even today, the only true use for internet explorer is to download firefox.

And oh yes, don't I feel like an idiot for having to ask them. But such is life.

A) I'm surfing on my girlfriend's new laptop, Win8 and all that. Still using the built-in Internet Explorer for now (don't want to start installing too much crap too fast). I can see most website images just fine, but many/most of the images people link to don't show up. I guess it's one or the other safety measure blocking images from other sites loading or some such, but I can't for the life of me figure out where those settings are. Right-clicking doesn't bring up a menu anymore and I'm only slowly adjusting to the new lay-out.
When your right click on IE and it brings up your tabs and address bar there should be a button right next to the address bar that will open the page in the desktop IE which isn't as locked down as the modern ui version. If images still don't show up then I have no idea and you should see if it happens in other browsers.

When your right click on IE and it brings up your tabs and address bar there should be a button right next to the address bar that will open the page in the desktop IE which isn't as locked down as the modern ui version. If images still don't show up then I have no idea and you should see if it happens in other browsers.
They do show up in the desktop version, but still don't in the app style view. Meh, use Chrome now anyway, but thanks :)