Two computers on the network, Internet Ahoy! But with 3, it's like sailing on sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's the dilemma. My apartment has 3 people now who use the internet regularly. With two online there is no issue, it doesn't matter who it is either. But as soon as the third computer boots up, we get massive internet slowdown. Sites loading at a crawl, streaming video on dialup quality, 5k+ ms latency on WoW. It's practically unusable.

We are all on a line connection with cable internet, no wireless (nor is the router itself capable of wireless). I run XP, the other desktop is Vista, and the laptop is brand new with Windows7. Previously the laptop was an XP and still had this issue, so I don't think it's anything to do with the OS.

Any ideas, dudes? We've been at this all night and so far no luck in getting it solved.

Two computers on the network, Internet Ahoy! But with 3, it's like sailing on san

Are you using DHCP to hand out IP addresses? Or do multiple computers have the same manually assigned address/subnet mask? Is one trying to also be a DHCP server (running Internet Sharing, maybe?) and messing up the network? Have you already tried AB, BC, AC to see if you can isolate it to one specific computer? Is your router's DHCP pool large enough to support 3 computers? Is the router actually a router? Or is it just a switch or hub? So many questions...

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Two computers on the network, Internet Ahoy! But with 3, it's like sailing on san

My first impulse would be to try replacing the router.

Sounds like bringing in a third caused a bit of computer jealousy.

C

Chibibar

I say, get a router. NOT A HUB (you can still get them but make sure it is a router) basically you want a switch. It seems that data are not being distribute properly. So a router change would fix that.

Now does it make any different any 3rd PC join in? If it is specific, make sure that PC is not doing any massive download/resume download when boot.

What Patrick said.

If your router works fine with 2 PC's, logically it should run fine with 3. Even the cheapest hardware these days can and will support at least a small LAN worth of PC's. Unless you're using an ancient hub to link them instead of a 10 bucks switch,
DHCP conflict seems a more likely culprit then hardware (failure).

Woop! Sorry, we had to do some testing this weekend to see what we could narrow it down to. So far it sounds like you all might be right and it's something with the router. The internet slows a little with all 3 on and connected, but once we're all using the internet it's a crawl. We're looking into newer routers this week/weekend after we all get paid.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.