Former President Trump Thread

Fox and co already talking about how grand juries are undemocratic.
I've always thought that label was pretty stupid. ANYTHING other than direct democracy can be said to be "undemocratic" depending on the definition. It's basically a weasel-definition used by anybody (on any side) against some activity they don't like, for whatever reason. Left-wing example: breaking up a riot, that (may) have started as a protest is decried as "undemocratic" and/or "fascist"... even when they're burning cars, looting, etc.

So it's pretty much a "these people are talking out of their asses" term if you're using it. If you actually have a real grievance, you use a different term, "witch hunt" for the quoted example (sometimes "right to privacy," depending), or for the protest, "right to peaceful assembly." If they have something to hide, or not being peaceful, they don't use those terms, they use "undemocratic."

It's a variation of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.
Agreed. I was trying to get that across, and it even went through my mind to write it, but it didn't seem completely "right" (or wrong, or whatever) either, so I didn't write it, but I do agree with you that it's HIGHLY related, if not a clean variant.

So stuff like purging voter registration and gerrymandering would be undemocratic. And vote tampering, and that wacko in Antigonish that steals one ballot box every election...

I want to hear more about this. This sounds both hilarious and bad.
More sad then bad; "the ballot box bandit" Alexander James Mackenzie, 68 has twice stolen ballot boxes to try and get better federal government responses to perceived slights against Pictou County. Best part is he wears a leather jacket with the name Ballot Box Bandit on the back.

To those unfamiliar with Canadian elections; we write our vote on a paper ballot and place them into a cardboard box in front of an election officer. The boxes generally never contain more than a few hundred votes. So all his crime does is cause delays at one voting station.

Last edited:
To be fair, grand juries *are* a problem. They're supposed to act as a check in power for prosecutors, but the joke about how a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich has a reason for existing.

Regardless, Fox does not give a shit about prosecutorial overreach when it's the average citizen (or scurry mainoree-tays) getting shafted, so they can fuck off now.

To be fair, grand juries *are* a problem. They're supposed to act as a check in power for prosecutors, but the joke about how a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich has a reason for existing.

Regardless, Fox does not give a shit about prosecutorial overreach when it's the average citizen (or scurry mainoree-tays) getting shafted, so they can fuck off now.
OTOH wasn't there also something where the indictment rate was 99% (or something) when convened, except for police shootings, where it happened once and that's it or something? It was posted here somewhere, but my search-fu on Halforums is pretty lacking.

OTOH wasn't there also something where the indictment rate was 99% (or something) when convened, except for police shootings, where it happened once and that's it or something? It was posted here somewhere, but my search-fu on Halforums is pretty lacking.
Yes, I believe this has been discussed here in the past, and it fits with the general feeling that grand juries are prosecutor patsies.

Yes, I believe this has been discussed here in the past, and it fits with the general feeling that grand juries are prosecutor patsies.
Just a reminder we're still talking about Fox and Fools. The most brain damaged of all the Fox Noise programs. They are the most likely to just regurgitate whatever is fed into their earpiece.

(And you're goddamned right I'm biased. :p)

GasBandit

Staff member
Frankly, democracy doesn't always automatically mean good, if you ask me. There's such a thing as too much democracy. That, and the whole "1000 tyrants 1 mile away" thing.

Anyone with have a brain is going to see it for what it is and stay far away. Those who throw in with "Trump TV" are going to find the job market very unforgiving when this outfit inevitably collapses.

Anyone with have a brain is going to see it for what it is and stay far away. Those who throw in with "Trump TV" are going to find the job market very unforgiving when this outfit inevitably collapses.
Sure. But haven't we already seen that less than half of America has more than half a brain?

(And I'm sure half of half of those who have more than half a brain have them collected in jars)

Last edited:
You know what? Fine. Just make sure you hit where I live so I'm caught in the fireball and get vaporized, cause I don't wanna limp away from this.

You know what? Fine. Just make sure you hit where I live so I'm caught in the fireball and get vaporized, cause I don't wanna limp away from this.
As your nearest neighbor, I'm going to have to disagree, seeing as how I want to live and all that.

GasBandit

Staff member
As your nearest neighbor, I'm going to have to disagree, seeing as how I want to live and all that.
You say that, but you live in Jersey, which I am led to believe is populated entirely by people who either want to kill and rob other people, or are tired of life and ready to be killed and robbed. :p

You say that, but you live in Jersey, which I am led to believe is populated entirely by people who either want to kill and rob other people, or are tired of life and ready to be killed and robbed. :p
It's only Mad Max around here when we're driving!
"I live, I die, I take the Parkway again!!!"

As is tradition...

You know, I figured it out. He was foretelling his own future. He has visions, he just never realized it was about him. Or even crazier, he DID, he just couldn't help himself.[DOUBLEPOST=1502232059,1502231672][/DOUBLEPOST]Forgot to add this. Instead of China it's N Korea.

This is what, how many times in only six months where the world is left wondering if there will still be one to wake up to in the morning?

If this were your standard action movie, this is the point where the hero shows his loyalty to the country and takes the dangerously insane president down. Instead, we have a Congress full of bootlickers ready to fall all over each other to be the first to turn their key.

It's moments like these that I really, really regret living so damn close to JBLM and Bangor. Especially with NK's state media report that they're seriously considering a preemptive strike on Guam, and we've got a complete fucking numbskull in charge. I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in any portion of Trump's appointments. I hope to hell that some calmer and more sane head prevails, and now I'm going to go get stoned out of my fucking gourd and hope we all wake up tomorrow.