Former President Trump Thread

Yes, because people from other countries are not “people,” so much as they are beasts of burden to be exploited by their betters, as God intended.

...how are SO MANY people missing out on the blatant history lesson repeating itself right in front of all of our faces?

—Patrick

When was the last time you saw what passes for a high school history curriculum in the US these days? :p

Pessimist me says the lessons aren't being taught to alot of folks 30 and younger, and there's still quite a few whack jobs in the over 50 crowd who claim the holocaust never happened on the other end of the spectrum.

I've been hiding from the news for a bit over a year now, because every time I checked in on the world, my stress level would go through the roof and I couldn't cope. In the interest of my mental health and ability to function, I focused on my job, and Gared, and buying our house, and that was it.

I think it's about time to start expanding my focus again, though. I look out at how far backwards Putin's orange puppet in the white house has brought us already, and I'm rather ashamed that it's taken this long, but it is what it is.

I dunno about you, but I'm sure as shit not going to let the Fourth Reich be born in my country without a truly epic fight. >.< And I bite!

Hey, the curriculum in a high school history class is fine. The teachers are usually good too. How about you get the dumbass parents to hold their dumbass kids accountable?

Gotta disagree, based on personal experience (albeit fairly old personal experience). I was in AP history, in a well-off suburban high school near Seattle. We didn't cover any of the societal factors leading up to World War II. We barely covered much of WWI at all. Most of the 1930 - 1945 curriculum was covering the Pacific theater. I don't think I even knew that Italy was involved until I went to college and realized just how many massive holes there were in my world history education and enrolled in a metric butt-ton of classes to try and fill in the gaps. This was in 1994, though. Maybe it's gotten better since then...? One hopes?

And I didn't need my parents to hold me accountable for school work... I held myself accountable. :) I got a 4.0 with a full load of AP classes, and qualified for a program to go to the UW five years early (after 7th grade). I didn't take it, on my mother's advice, because I wasn't "emotionally ready" (I still regret that, very much. High school is not an emotionally nurturing place). I did go to community college concurrently with my junior and senior year of high school, which was a great chance to get access to classes the high school didn't offer.

So.. yeah. I stand by my opinion that there are some big holes in what we're teaching kids these days about world history. And with the current Secretary of Education, I'm worried it will only get worse.

More dehumanization just right on said out in public. On goddamn television.

Man, too bad your founding documents don't clearly mention that the rights they enumerate apply to everyone, with citizens simply getting a few extra things pertaining to participating in the political system.

Gotta disagree, based on personal experience (albeit fairly old personal experience). I was in AP history, in a well-off suburban high school near Seattle. We didn't cover any of the societal factors leading up to World War II. We barely covered much of WWI at all. Most of the 1930 - 1945 curriculum was covering the Pacific theater. I don't think I even knew that Italy was involved until I went to college and realized just how many massive holes there were in my world history education and enrolled in a metric butt-ton of classes to try and fill in the gaps. This was in 1994, though. Maybe it's gotten better since then...? One hopes?

And I didn't need my parents to hold me accountable for school work... I held myself accountable. :) I got a 4.0 with a full load of AP classes, and qualified for a program to go to the UW five years early (after 7th grade). I didn't take it, on my mother's advice, because I wasn't "emotionally ready" (I still regret that, very much. High school is not an emotionally nurturing place). I did go to community college concurrently with my junior and senior year of high school, which was a great chance to get access to classes the high school didn't offer.

So.. yeah. I stand by my opinion that there are some big holes in what we're teaching kids these days about world history. And with the current Secretary of Education, I'm worried it will only get worse.
Sorry to hear about your experiences, but it doesn’t represent the majority of high school classrooms. Whoever taught your class was way off of the standard curriculum.

And the dumbass comment wasn’t actually intended for you, I’m sorry if it came off that way. I was talking in general about people who don’t understand patterns of history even as they play out in front of their eyes.

Completely understand, and no offense taken. :) I'm *very* glad to hear that most high schools actually make an attempt to teach kids all of the sordid details of humanity's history, and not pick and choose the bits they think might interest them.

Man, too bad your founding documents don't clearly mention that the rights they enumerate apply to everyone, with citizens simply getting a few extra things pertaining to participating in the political system.
It’s not so much the rules themselves as it is the selective enforcement of same.
I was talking in general about people who don’t understand patterns of history even as they play out in front of their eyes.
I was not a good history student. It is one of the subjects that never “stuck,” mainly because I don’t believe I should ever have to memorize anything I can easily look up UNLESS it is something I frequently need to use, but even *I* can see the direction we seem to be heading and relate it to the stuff I heard so many years ago.

—Patrick

Dude... don't explain the joke...
Haaaaave you met... Patrick? :p

And @Tress : I don't know about where you're from, but everything I hear from anyone who's ever been in the US school system is that the history lessons are mostly crap, because they're more concerned with "teaching" "facts" ("memorizing dates and names") than they are with "explaining how things can evolve and grow form one another".

Intricate explanations of geopolitics, even from a century ago, isn't easy and is always open to (personal or national) bias and interpretation. You need time, a group willing to listen, a teacher willing to explain and to go where the attention is, etc etc.

In other words, if you get good history lessons, that's because you've got a good teacher willing to go above and beyond, not because the curriculum is good or the general level of those classes is good.

Cajungal

Staff member
Hey, the curriculum in a high school history class is fine. The teachers are usually good too. How about you get the dumbass parents to hold their dumbass kids accountable?
You dont understand, Tress. They're special in a way that makes your expectations null and void.

Cajungal

Staff member
Urge to kill crappy parents rising.
Sometimes they're simply overworked, frustrated, confused, and/or intimidated by how quickly things change in education, both from an academic and a management standpoint.

But yeah, sometimes they are jerks.

Of the three hundred thousand communications seized by the DoJ from Cohen, only eight are priviledged a judge ruled today.

Haaaaave you met... Patrick? :p

And @Tress : I don't know about where you're from, but everything I hear from anyone who's ever been in the US school system is that the history lessons are mostly crap, because they're more concerned with "teaching" "facts" ("memorizing dates and names") than they are with "explaining how things can evolve and grow form one another".

Intricate explanations of geopolitics, even from a century ago, isn't easy and is always open to (personal or national) bias and interpretation. You need time, a group willing to listen, a teacher willing to explain and to go where the attention is, etc etc.

In other words, if you get good history lessons, that's because you've got a good teacher willing to go above and beyond, not because the curriculum is good or the general level of those classes is good.
If my memory is correct, we here in Germany got told a lot about how WW2 came to be, which included some lessons about how WW1 happened. The problem of course is not only that teachers need to be good to get this stuff across, but also that they were talking to a bunch of kids who where more interest about that ongoing puberty thing than in deep history lessons. So we learned the 'facts' for the tests and didn't care that much about anything else.
Unfortunately in hindsight, of course, but isn't that always so when we think about those early years of our growin up...

I don't think there's enough time to do more than simply brush the surface anyway (180 days, 30 minutes class time, 15-30 minutes homework time/reading per day, etc). All you can cover are the facts, if you cover theories you have to cover several theories each time, otherwise bias becomes an issue.

On top of that, the testing requirements are insane, and the teacher's performance is closely tied to either test results, or year over year improvement. Their hands are tied.

So you've got maybe 90-120 hours of useful instruction time per year, including homework assignments, to get the youth to learn enough about a 200-2,000 year period of time that they'll pass a test that determines the teacher's employability.

And some of what the youth really need to learn about our history can't easily be captured in tests without the tests being considered subjective. Why is a lot more difficult a question than who, what, where, when, and how. Critical thinking skills are hard to measure since brain development is not consistent across populations and ages, and through no fault of their own one student may struggle while another is advanced at a given time.

Last time you asked a question like that and then posted a video, the video didn't answer the question, so I'm not compelled to click on the video unless you make a guarantee it answers the question.
Blame Dave, or The BBC.

I just linked through text now.

So lawyers for Inmate 00045343 have requested that no mention of cheeto be made at his trial.

With the proposed merger of Education and Labor departments, if Devos remains as head of both, what is the anticipated death toll?

And the Russian mob boss currently serving as Commerce Secretary is being investigated for insider trading.

Last edited: