Too many subforums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reboneer

Wow, lots of subforums all of a sudden. Seeing as we're a pretty small community, I think we may now have too many. I've been part of small-ish forums in the past, and nothing kills them faster than splintering discussion like this.

Thoughts?

Pretty much, should just keep one General, one for Politics and one for Hobbies or something like that.

Yeah, one for most of everything, one for all the D&Ding stuff, one for comics and Theatre Hopper, one for the artist pages and that's really all that's needed. Just like the old forums.

A

Andromache

theory for testing.

subforums that get few/no posts a month from now wither and die and need pruning?

Dave

Staff member
theory for testing.

subforums that get few/no posts a month from now wither and die and need pruning?
That's basically my plan. Also, if we are looking at growing we need something like this. But I'm not going to get all bent out of shape if something is not in the right place.

My suggestions :

Introduce Yourself (should be a sub)
Television shows, movies, music and books! (not needed)
Roll them bones! (we already have a gaming section, use that instead)
Podcasting (we need a forum for this?)
The Art Gallery (should be a sub to something)
Comic Talk (should be under Forum Hub)

I do miss having a handful of forums.

Most people just bookmark general and never leave it because clicking became a chore at some point. I think if we could encurage people to bookmark the index page instead the subs would get more attention, but if things are going to be exactly the same then any sub at all is too much.

I was curious is the Art Gallery still the place to post things we may have made even if they aren't paintings or something?

Multiple subforums are fine, but I suggest that a moderator is names specifically for moving threads to the correct subforum. They would just go through general once a day and reassign threads (such as all the movie threads to Media, and game threads to the game subforum, etc).

I think that over time people will accept this and use the various subforums more.

-Adam

Have to add my voice to the too many subforums crowd. When the community grows to the extent that we need to seperate things then by all means lets have subforums. But for right now, I know I'm not the only way who enjoys reading certain threads when I see them in general but I'm not interested enough to go digging through subforums just to see if there's anything there.

Dave

Staff member
Have to add my voice to the too many subforums crowd. When the community grows to the extent that we need to seperate things then by all means lets have subforums. But for right now, I know I'm not the only way who enjoys reading certain threads when I see them in general but I'm not interested enough to go digging through subforums just to see if there's anything there.
The problem then becomes when we grow that we are unable to separate the threads into their proper locations. If we don't break it out early it becomes impossible to add later.

R

Reboneer

The problem then becomes when we grow that we are unable to separate the threads into their proper locations. If we don't break it out early it becomes impossible to add later.
When that time comes we can allow existing threads to remain where they are and move new ones over. Within a month all of the offending threads will be dead.

just use the New Posts button at the top. Thats what I do.

C

Cuyval Dar

I think that Media should be assimilated into General, but as for the rest, it's fine.

I do, however, like the idea of Politics being moved to The Wretched Hive.

C

Cuyval Dar

Not sure about merging Media with General, perhaps merge it with Games and transform it into a "Media & Entertainment" subforum ? I dunno...

I second this.

Also, podcasts, is lonely, you could make that a sub-subforum of General maybe.
It really got annoying having games and D&D mixed together, and adding Media would be worse.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure about merging Media with General, perhaps merge it with Games and transform it into a "Media & Entertainment" subforum ? I dunno...

I second this.

Also, podcasts, is lonely, you could make that a sub-subforum of General maybe.
Shit. You can SEE podcasts? That's supposed to be set for private. Damn!

Dave

Staff member
Gusto, Necronic, Allen or Hylian can you still see this? Hopefully nobody else can who's not a mod now.

T

Twitch

Subforum related, could we have the NSFW divided into actual NSFW and threads that are discussions including arguments?

T

Twitch

Subforum related, could we have the NSFW divided into actual NSFW and threads that are discussions including arguments?
As in one for pr0n and other 'adult' topics and one for heated debates?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read two normal topics and then was just click down absently and I got to see Wendy in a compromising position. If I were at work at the time I would have screened better but it would be nice to not have to have a tech guy ask me about it.
Edit: Which I should mention wouldn't ever happen because it would cost me my job pretty fast so I don't want to risk it as it is.

T

Twitch

Sounds like an idea.

There's also a "boss key" mod out there somewhere I think. A la the old adventure games. Not sure if that thing really works tho, lol.
I work for the public school system, no one has ever looked over my shoulder. It's their internet security system that watches me.

Status
Not open for further replies.