To the Wise Sage (who calls himself Dave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask of you advice, as you've had experience with life and I have had...well, far less.

The situation:
I'm 19 years old, in the second year of a Bachelor's study in Philosophy*. I have a girlfriend in the States** - who I'd like to be able to see on a regular basis as soon as time and money permit it.

Currently, my plans for the future are; getting my Bachelor's degree -> getting a Master's degree (probably a teacher's [highschool level] course as well)-> get a temporary 1/2year job (and thus money/experience) -> move to States -> get job (and more money/experience) -> live the rest of my life with the girl I want to live it with.

The problem:
I love this girl. I love her more than I thought was ever possible. She feels the same for me, and wants me to come and live there ASAP - directly after my study. I, however, loathe the idea of leeching off her (or her parents) and want to make sure I have some money to at least provide for myself until I can get a job in the States. If all works out according to plan, I'll be 25 when I move to the states, though I'm accounting for the possibility that I'll be 28 or anywhere inbetween, given the fact that life is a bitch more often than not.

I have no desire to be rich. All I want is to be able to provide for myself and for her. I don't care how I have to do it [although I'd prefer not to resort to a mind-numbingly low-skilled job, I'm not afraid to do it if it's the only way out.]. Since I'm not a particularly skilled person in any area, I do not have my sights set on a particular job nor do I believe I will ever attain a high-level position unless I can achieve it by hard work only.

The question(s):
Which do you think is the better decision? Should I do the above? Should I listen to her? Should I get another Bachelor's degree in another ''more economically viable'' study and then proceed with plan or will my Philosophy degree be enough?

*: I picked Philosophy because of I found it interesting and other studies didn't appeal to me very much. Also studies work differently here.
**: I recognize the problems with a long-distance relation. But I can visit her/she can visit me until I have enough money to permanently migrate to the States, which she is content with as well. I have no problems living far away from my family as my dad has been living in Australia since I was 10 and she would prefer to stick to the States because she is very close to her mother. Generally speaking, I believe this will work out - the problem mainly lies with when we can start to live together.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't just "Up and move to the States" legally unless you actually had a job prospect. However, I might be wrong.

Dave

Staff member
Dear Wahad,

Ah to be young again. I know what you are going through and although each situation is different there are some immutable things I've learned over the years.

1) You must finish school before you do anything else. If you leave going back is very, very hard.
2) Waiting for money of any kind is a HUGE mistake. You find that you are waiting and wondering while all the while losing valuable time.
3) Do NOT change your major because SHE wants you to or because you want to make money. If you give up doing what you love you will regret it.

So...why couldn't she come live with you while you are going to school? Her mom? When you do move to the States where are you going to live? Next to her mom? So you're expected to give up everything? What exactly is she giving up for this compromise?

You are only 19. Stick to the school plan. Even though it's a long-distance relationship if it's meant to happen it will. If not, you still have your education.

No matter what happens you'll always wonder if you made the right choice. That's the way life works. Stick with school. Trust me. At this juncture of your life education is more important than a relationship.

She can't live with me while I'm going to school 'cause she's still in school herself. Also when I said ''she's close to her mom'' I didn't mean that close. More like she'd want to regularly be able to see her (say, once a month) instead of maybe once a year. She doesn't expect me to give everything up - in fact she was bothered by that at first. I made the choice, she didn't push me to do it. (also she does not want me to give up my education - see ''directly after my study''. She just wants me to get there as soon as I finish my study while I want to get a job for a year or so to get some money to provide for myself)

As for the compromise, well, if we want to live together (which we do), one of us is going to have to give it up. I'm not particularly opposed to moving halfway across the world - again, I'm used to family living far away.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't just "Up and move to the States" legally unless you actually had a job prospect. However, I might be wrong.
Is this true? Because if that is the case then that's a severe bummer. I don't think I'll ever have a job that would offer me to go to the States.

First, finish your master then see where you're at. You're at least 3 years away from finishing school. 3 years is a long time, especially in long distance relationships.

When you're done with school, it will be a lot easier for you to decide what to do.

D

Disconnected

I don't know off hand the conditions required moving to the US but knowing an american that moved to canada, he was able to because he married a canadian. This allowed him to apply for permanent residency without having work prospect. If he hadn't he would have had to have an employer, with work visa. I think.
I believe you can 'visit' the US for up to 6 months (maybe it's 3) but after that you gotta leave or they release the hounds. Otherwise I'm almost certain you need a student visa or work visa to remain their for longer. You are best checking with US immigration services about requirements on that.

Also I agree you should finish school.

Again, the finishing of school is not at question. The only problem is moving to America directly after my study or one/two years later when I have some financial backup to take care of myself.

All I know is, when my friend went to Grad School in England she met a guy there. He tried to come to the U.S. but couldn't get a Visa, but he COULD get one for Canada, which worked out for them since my friend lived in Buffalo anyways.

Dave

Staff member
Ah! I see. If you are still together once you graduate, move right away. Do not wait. If it lasts that long you are meant to be together.

Status
Not open for further replies.