to SMS or not my love to world thru usernames further on?

• Thread starter Proudly Autopowered
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Proudly Autopowered

This is not a feature request but call for 3d opinion.

Recently, I I discovered XenForo forums cute to my perverted taste because they permit nicks and usernames impossible on other forums.

So, a week ago I created in one forum, the account with username
$.02 w/ <33 2 u (Update: $.002 --> $.02, mistyped but really it was $.02)
well, most of theses symbols are not permitted in forums powered by any another wCMS

For me, this nick seemed, at time of creation, cute and shouldhave been well understood by audience as: "My 2 cents (to this discussion) with big love for you"
I made a few posts and found in 3 days account gone for good (bad for me) with all my contributions.

Was it automatic (some antispam filter embedded), manual or what?
Should I quench my aspirations to use this XenForo ability to SMS my loveto users on XF forums through usernames further on?

In other words,
would my account and my posts have dumped in this forum too,
have I created an account with such a username?

PS
I asked administrators of that forum through contact form, 2 days passed, no reply followed

I'd say just let it go. That name didn't make any sense anyway.

Also, I can't stop reading your posts in the voice of Yakov Smirnoff.

P

Proudly Autopowered

Thanks for sharing wih me about your concerns with your failing to make sense of names and widely used socail network abbreviations and slang.

This is valuable to understand how and whether others understand me as well as I am trying to do my best to understand others.

I googled for meaning of poe and poe people but failed to find any meaningful sense in these names.
Could you give me references to acquaint me with their meaning?

Poe is as everyone equally known the very validating names for forum people.

Not every name is adequately defined meaningfulness for every occasion.

Do what you want. Don't expect others to understand it without lots of explanation, though.

Most people find that a stable username and/or avatar is more useful for conversations, and they put their funny/interesting/etc stuff in the signature line, which allows for a lot of expressive freedom.

But it's your account, and there are few rules to force you down any particular path.

If you experiment enough, you might hit on something others will pick up on too. You never know until you try.

P

Proudly Autopowered

Poe is as everyone equally known the very validating names for forum people
After Edgar Allan Poe, you are really the 2nd person in my life where I encounter the name Poe.

Do what you want. Don't expect others to understand it without lots of explanation, though.

Most people find that a stable username and/or avatar is more useful for conversations, and they put their funny/interesting/etc stuff in the signature line, which allows for a lot of expressive freedom.

But it's your account, and there are few rules to force you down any particular path.

If you experiment enough, you might hit on something others will pick up on too. You never know until you try.
This really does not answer my question
It is not very comfortable here to insert images since I should upload them first to picture sharing service

I do not want to experiment by getting me into blacklists, I'd prefer to know it in advance.

$.002 is not 2 cents. $0.2 is. :p.
This was typo, I realy had $.02
$0.2 is not either, it is 20.

I'm not sure if the usage of dollar signs in your nick will make admins or spam cleaners think you are a bot. But it is a possibility. If this was on an English speaking forum, well, no offense, but combined with your grasp of that language they may have thought you were a spambot at first glance
Probably
If administrators do not like dollar-sign, why do they permit it in nicknames?
Have not it been permitted, I would have never used it.
In other words, I lost my time.
I shall be grateful whenever you point me to any of my concrete "grasps"

But I am more interested to know about automatic filters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe
Edgar Allan Poe

The Raven - By Edgar Allan Poe

I googled for "poe" and it was the top result. Your GoogleFu must be weak. ;)

(Seriously, you do know who he is and have heard the poem before, right?)
I asked about "poe people" from signature "poe, i would argue, is one of the most interesting people in the world"

Seriously, how did you jump to conclusion that I do not know Edgar Poe's "The Raven"
It is in the high school obligatory progamme.

Many people on forums will only recognize you by your avatar and your nickname. If changed often enough, people will have no idea who they're talking to
Will you have many ideas about me if I fix my avatar?
Any of them is a picture of a fictitious personage

I judge according my perceptions.
And I never judge anybody or anything by avatars, banners, pictures, movies, etc., if I look at them at all.

In the most popular Russian social networks, like liveinternet.ru, etc., a user uploads a few dozens avatars which are being shown randomly as user's avatar at their posts, comments, etc.
One can also change usernames at will.

This does not hinder to recognize the people, If they want to be recognized...
and if they do not want, it is their RIGHT!

P

Proudly Autopowered

Never played Zelda?
Never. I even never heard this term

I do not play any games since 22 years old when my boss scared me, while I was playing at work, and, since then, I am still in shock, many years later.
Due to this lack of commonly known gaming terms I am to embarrass me by questions like this one!

(to safeguard me from anyone jumping to any conclusions/impressions, I want to remind that my nick there "Decsis Pennis" is decent latin meaning in English "With disappointed hopes")

This place is pretty relaxed. I think you are overly concerned about this. Do what you feel like doing, and see what happens.

Bans are generally temporary. It's ok to experiment. If you get banned for a day, so what? You'll have learned something new that doesn't work.

Don't spend time worrying in advance about this. Play around, have fun, and make friends.

Dave

Staff member
If I saw a new user name like that I'd watch very, very carefully for spam. Just looking at it makes it look like someone is trying to get around the spam protections put into place by putting stuff in the user name instead of the signature or personal information.

One thing you need to know about Xenforo, though, is that when you blow someone away with the spam cleaner it can be reinstated! So if you contact the admins from the other board and let them know what's up and what your name means they may very well let you back in...or at least let you know why your name violated their terms of service.

And as long as you don't spam here you can do pretty much anything you want. As Stieny said, we're pretty laid back.

I think this is where your grasp of the English language fails you. The sentence you quote talks about a person, not people. If it were talking about people, it would go like this: "Poes, I would argue, are one of the most interesting people in the world." Poe is interesting. Not Poes are interesting. Singular versus plural.
Two issues.

1) The sentence, as written, makes use of a dependent clause. The sentence makes perfect sense without the three words "I would argue" just like the sentence before this one makes perfect sense without "as written." The commas just allow the sentence to be rearranged. Any of the following sentences are equivalent to one another:

"poe, i would argue, is one of the most interesting people in the world"
"i would argue that poe is one of the most interesting people in the world"
"poe is one of the most interesting people in the world, i would argue"

2) There is also the possibility that you might have heard someone use the phrase "Poe people" in a sentence. In fact, what you probably heard was "Po' people," which is a slang term for "Poor people."

--Patrick

Was it automatic (some antispam filter embedded), manual or what?
If it was due to your username, then it was manual. It's possible that if your posts got enough negative reports the ban might have been automatic, but not due to your username.

Should I quench my aspirations to use this XenForo ability to SMS my loveto users on XF forums through usernames further on?
That depends completely on the forum. Some have rules about usernames. Some don't. It has nothing to do with the software, but with the policy of the forum you want to join.

would my account and my posts have dumped in this forum too,
have I created an account with such a username?
No, not due only to the username. Here your posts are judged as spam or not, and as long as you contribute good posts, you can use whatever username you like.

If you truly want to show your love for your fellow forum members, post good/neat/funny/interesting/insightful/thoughtful stuff. A symbolic gesture won't make up for bad posts, but good posts will make up for any name. So focus on content, rather than presentation.

Dave

Staff member
AHA!! I was going to ask how you found us. Now I get it. You linked in from Xenforo! I just noticed the location is the same as the guy I have been speaking with in PMs there!

I'm too slow sometimes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Не доверять этим людям, товарищ. Они приведут вас в заблуждение.

Status
Not open for further replies.