TIL: Today I Learned

TIL Don't spend several "SEVERAL" hours reading and digging about Cinnamon Toast Crunch and one of the skeeziest pieces of shit in Hollywood "HOLLYWOOD".

The story will sap your soul.

TIL Don't spend several "SEVERAL" hours reading and digging about Cinnamon Toast Crunch and one of the skeeziest pieces of shit in Hollywood "HOLLYWOOD".

The story will sap your soul.

That's all you need to really know about but if you go any deeper, trigger warning: abuse.

It's just whipped cream from a can. Buy a can for super cheap and do them yourselves.

edit: I know it says that in the article, but I assume that Starbucks charges for it.
I'm pretty sure they don't charge for it as long as you're buying a drink too, and if you aren't I think you're a jerk for going there and asking for one.

TIL there's a maximum to the number of Discord servers you may join: 100.
No idea why they didn't make it an even 127.

--Patrick

TIL Doctor Who is part of the Tommyverse.

TIL that pool noodles don't like being stored in hot, dry storage sheds for long periods of time.

The one I had literally broke into two pieces while I was lounging around in the pool this afternoon.

When watching a Gaming Historian video I noticed that Howard Phillips from Nintendo America loved wearing a bowtie. It reminded me of another nostalgic Nintendo related person who wears one.

So today I learned that Howard from the Nintendo Power's "Howard & Nester" comics was based on the real life Howard Phillips.

1625122413666.png
1625122527107.png

GasBandit

Staff member
When watching a Gaming Historian video I noticed that Howard Phillips from Nintendo America loved wearing a bowtie. It reminded me of another nostalgic Nintendo related person who wears one.

So today I learned that Howard from the Nintendo Power's "Howard & Nester" comics was based on the real life Howard Phillips.

View attachment 38229View attachment 38230
Ha, I remember that... I was a subscriber to the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter for about 2 issues before it was reborn as NINTENDO POWER MAGAZINE, and then I kept that subscription for years.

If you haven't read Brentalfloss: The Comic, Howard Phillips also makes an appearance in that during the final Time Travel arc.

TIL that the number of commuters into a city can now be mathematically modeled.

As the article says, it seems like a no-brainer that busier cities have more commuters, but now we can more accurately estimate just HOW many:
researchers discovered what is known as an inverse square relation between the number of people in a given urban location and the distance they traveled to get there. [...] It accurately predicts, for instance, that the number of people coming from two kilometers away five times per week will be the same as the number coming from five kilometers twice a week.
This is going to give a boost to things like epidemiology, event/holiday planning, civil engineering, logistics, and even tourism.

--Patrick

TIL Mischief Night is a...REGIONAL thing around the East Coast for the most part, not much in the West! Granted yes it has origins other wheres, but its mostly around my side. Years of Halloween pranks in movies, I thought it was an all state thing, neat!

Yeah, I could deal with LESS Mischief Night. I don't mind the funny pranks, but I hate when assholes have wrecked our decorations in the past. (Not every year, but once or twice.) There's a big difference between "prank" and "shitty behavior".

Yeah, I could deal with LESS Mischief Night. I don't mind the funny pranks, but I hate when assholes have wrecked our decorations in the past. (Not every year, but once or twice.) There's a big difference between "prank" and "shitty behavior".
I don’t think something like mischief night would go over in Texas. Somebody would shoot someone for tearing up their stuff.

TIL Mischief Night is a...REGIONAL thing around the East Coast for the most part, not much in the West! Granted yes it has origins other wheres, but its mostly around my side. Years of Halloween pranks in movies, I thought it was an all state thing, neat!
TIL what “Mischief Night” is… you’re not kidding about that being an East Coast thing. Never heard of it out here in California.

Around here it's usually referred to as "Devils' Night," but hey it's one of those special regional questions.

--Patrick

Last edited: