TIL: Today I Learned

TIL Big Windup is Seinen, not Shonen...cannot tell the difference in writing style at all. I mean, Fist of the North Star was considered fucking SHONEN-what are the rules here?

EDIT: Okay Jesus fucking fuck, PSYCHOMETERER EIJI IS SHONEN?! Its been a while since I read that, but I DO remember the first case involving someone who could only get hard once they saw a dead body. HOW ARE THESE DEMOGRAPHICS ASIGNED-lottery?!

Last edited:
Was in the "international foods" section of the grocery store to pick up some sweet chili sauce for the lettuce wraps I'm making tomorrow.

They had some of these on the top shelf, so I picked a few up.

Tasty, but the bottle is so weird.

TIL Big Windup is Seinen, not Shonen...cannot tell the difference in writing style at all. I mean, Fist of the North Star was considered fucking SHONEN-what are the rules here?

EDIT: Okay Jesus fucking fuck, PSYCHOMETERER EIJI IS SHONEN?! Its been a while since I read that, but I DO remember the first case involving someone who could only get hard once they saw a dead body. HOW ARE THESE DEMOGRAPHICS ASIGNED-lottery?!
The only rule is which demographic the magazine the story appears in is marketed to, if I recall correctly.

My daughter loves those. She begs for them.
I saved one for my son. I figured he'd think the bottle (and the fact that it was a Japanese import) was cool. I was right.

Honestly, the flavor is nice, but nothing special or out of this world. But I'll probably buy more, because the bottle is cool. And you can evidently reuse them according to youtube.

On an episode of Poirot I first thought I had misheard, but no: TIL there is an actual food dish called Spotted Dick.

Though perhaps a bit juvenile, the joke potential is obvious.

Spotted dick, as I understand it, is a suet cake. I've never had a suet cake, and I'm really interested in trying it.

Unfortunately, the Heinz pre-made spotted dick in a can at the grocery store has "Partially Hydrogenated Canola and Palm Oils" and no suet on the ingredients list. So, pass. I want to try the real thing.

Heinz pre-made spotted dick in a can at the grocery store has "Partially Hydrogenated Canola and Palm Oils" and no suet on the ingredients list. So, pass. I want to try the real thing.
You're probably one of those folks who wants your pie crust to be made with clarified leaf lard, too.
(...and if you are, we're going to be trying some of this stuff this season, remind me to let you know how it goes)

--Patrick

You're probably one of those folks who wants your pie crust to be made with clarified leaf lard, too.
(...and if you are, we're going to be trying some of this stuff this season, remind me to let you know how it goes)

--Patrick
(edit to make my point more clear)

Not really. I'm not that pedantic.

But if you take the "suet" out of "suet cake", what do you have left? A cake. And I already know what that tastes like.

Last edited:
On an episode of Poirot I first thought I had misheard, but no: TIL there is an actual food dish called Spotted Dick.

Though perhaps a bit juvenile, the joke potential is obvious.
The only joke I remember from the movie Shanghai Knights is when Owen Wilson is offered "Spotted dick, sir?" and he says something like, "Are you asking if I have the clap?"

Terrible movie as I recall. But for good or ill, that joke rattles around in my brain.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Atora-Shredded-Suet-200G/dp/B015Q9XCAO
This is going to happen. Soon. :D

(edit, because the amazon link turned into some media thing that didn't seem to point to the Atora suet you can get on Amazon).

Dave

Staff member
Huh. I wonder if they changed their API.[DOUBLEPOST=1474249077,1474249046][/DOUBLEPOST]They must have. Nothing from Amazon works now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh. I wonder if they changed their API.[DOUBLEPOST=1474249077,1474249046][/DOUBLEPOST]They must have. Nothing from Amazon works now.
There's a new version of s9e out to address that specifically. Gimme a few mins.[DOUBLEPOST=1474258267][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, Amazon links should be working again.