TIL: Today I Learned

Yeah, imagine all the brothels in nevada going out of business if they started offering customers condoms, or ballparks that used metal detectors as people entered them or searched their backpacks, or airports if they ever implement stringent safety checks. Economies would fall if a business ever offered protection to its customers...

Yeah, imagine all the brothels in nevada going out of business if they started offering customers condoms, or ballparks that used metal detectors as people entered them or searched their backpacks, or airports if they ever implement stringent safety checks. Economies would fall if a business ever offered protection to its customers...
There's enough shitty dive bars out there that would feel the same way that Gas provided... I was just offering up how I'd spin it, were I enough an entrepreneur and a, y'know, "people person" to own a bar.

I would think a known "safe" bar would actually be a hit among the sort of clientele that would benefit most from the protection.
Granted, I don't know the prevalence of data-rape alteration of beverages in your average bar, since I am not a regular patron.

--Patrick

While it can be seen as protection, it's also not addressing the actual problem of people using drugs to incapacitate another person for the purpose of sexual assault. It's similar to concentrating on what the woman was wearing instead of the fact that she was raped. You'd get the people who would say "You should have worn that detecting nail polish..." to those who were drugged and violated, just like you shouldn't have worn that dress, you should have been more careful, you shouldn't have left with him, etc. There is a certain amount of victim blaming that will be inevitable. Plus, just like any test, there will be ways around it. Nail polish and special drinking glasses really aren't solutions and don't provide reliable protection, IMO.

Nail polish and special drinking glasses really aren't solutions and don't provide reliable protection, IMO.
I don't think anyone is saying that they are solutions. They are, at best, kludges that some people might want to use to decrease their risk. I hope you aren't suggesting the companies should be shamed into stopping development, though. That we can use things like this in our society is sad, but it would also be sad to intentionally prevent people from coming up with such technologies and preventing individuals from choosing to use them if they desire.

I don't think anyone is saying that they are solutions. They are, at best, kludges that some people might want to use to decrease their risk. I hope you aren't suggesting the companies should be shamed into stopping development, though. That we can use things like this in our society is sad, but it would also be sad to intentionally prevent people from coming up with such technologies and preventing individuals from choosing to use them if they desire.
No, I'm all for development of new technologies that can improve society in a number of ways. I just think we (as a general society) need to be cautious when labeling these things as preventative measures against getting drugged and assaulted. Prevention is not infallible. And unfortunately there will be people who believe this is a solution, so if you use the nail polish, the right glass, take all the preventative measures possible then you should never have a problem with being drugged and assaulted. Our society unfortunately looks at this kind of situation in black and white most of the time. Why do you think these things are so under reported? There is shame associated with sexual assault including the fact that the victim believes, and will be told by others, that he or she should have taken some kind of action that would have prevented it. If only I had....maybe I could have... then this would never have happened.

As you said, the fact that we even need these things in our society is sad and, for me, very frightening.

I view this as similar to computer virus protection, or smoke detectors. Probably not necessary if you are experienced and take steps, but certainly welcomed as an extra layer for the people who choose to use it. There is never a guarantee that "taking steps" will ever be enough to prevent a thing from happening (Apollo 1, for example), but those steps will certainly lessen your odds/exposure to risk.

--Patrick

I view this as similar to computer virus protection, or smoke detectors. Probably not necessary if you are experienced and take steps, but certainly welcomed as an extra layer for the people who choose to use it. There is never a guarantee that "taking steps" will ever be enough to prevent a thing from happening (Apollo 1, for example), but those steps will certainly lessen your odds/exposure to risk.

--Patrick
and I've heard plenty of people get chewed out for not properly protecting their computer and thus, getting a virus through their own fault.

TIL that I am a pedophile, Jesus Christ, the Devil, and a robot. Also that I have pictures of little boys on my phone, and that I take small children behind churches and fuck them in the ass, specifically little blond boys with blue eyes. Apparently I tie them up, too.

Who knew?

TIL that I am a pedophile, Jesus Christ, the Devil, and a robot. Also that I have pictures of little boys on my phone, and that I take small children behind churches and fuck them in the ass, specifically little blond boys with blue eyes. Apparently I tie them up, too.

Who knew?
TIL even police officers are capable of Vaguebooking.

Sorry, had to drive somewhere.

I had a crazy guy, naked in public, who claimed he was Satan. Or I was. He was somewhat vague on the matter, despite revisiting the topic multiple times.

Later on, after I arrested him for public indecency, he got NASTY. Then tried to attack my rookie.

It, uh... didn't end well for him.

Who knew?

I had a crazy guy, naked in public, who claimed he was Satan. Or I was. He was somewhat vague on the matter, despite revisiting the topic multiple times.

Later on, after I arrested him for public indecency, he got NASTY. Then tried to attack my rookie.

drevilchestnut.jpg

"You know, that old chestnut."

When my mom was young (Sweden circa 1970) there was woman in her neighborhood who would occasionally lose it and run naked down the street screaming. Not sure what was done about it. Public nudity isn't so much a crime in Sweden as just something worrying that we wish people wouldn't be doing. The woman was married and back then social services mainly thought it's job was to make sure slutty single moms didn't leave dirty socks on the floor, so they may not have gotten involved either.

In this instance, the man was naked in a van in a parking lot, screaming at passers-by. Then in his van in the middle of a busy road, out of gas. Had he been wearing pants, I'd have taken him to get some fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I bro-fisted that OC because I understand what goes on behind it all.

Those guys get more... interesting... to deal with once they're behind the walls.

TIL ...the Devil... specifically little blond boys with blue eyes.
Is this a southern thing? When I was a teenager, I went to visit relatives in Alabama (not my choice of family vacation). My great-aunt nearly had heart failure when she saw I had on a Motley Crue shirt. After telling me how this was devil music turning me from god she went on to tell my parents that satan worshipers in the county were threatening to steal little blonde-haired, blue-eyed boys and girls to sacrifice on Halloween.

Is this a southern thing? When I was a teenager, I went to visit relatives in Alabama (not my choice of family vacation). My great-aunt nearly had heart failure when she saw I had on a Motley Crue shirt. After telling me how this was devil music turning me from god she went on to tell my parents that satan worshipers in the county were threatening to steal little blonde-haired, blue-eyed boys and girls to sacrifice on Halloween.
Was this like late 80s to early 90s during the satanic ritual abuse panic?

Honestly, if I was going to venture a guess, I'd say he'd been molested as a child... he was not nearly as crazy as he kept trying to perpetrate, and some things kept popping up that led me to believe it.

I'm also 90% sure he was masturbating both times when we caught him, but I can't prove it.

Honestly, if I was going to venture a guess, I'd say he'd been molested as a child... he was not nearly as crazy as he kept trying to perpetrate, and some things kept popping up that led me to believe it.

I'm also 90% sure he was masturbating both times when we caught him, but I can't prove it.

Guilt's a helluva drug.
And some people just can't quit it.

--Patrick

I've heard that Satan is supposed to have clear, blue eyes, so I wonder if this is related to that myth? I mean, I generally just write it off, I've never considered if there's actually some interesting mythological history there.