TIL: Today I Learned

TIL Mac OSX's Finder can connect to servers (⌘K), specifically it can connect to WebDAV servers, which I use almost every day.

fade

Staff member
Command-K on Finder is one of the Mac's killer features. Especially at a university where everything is spread out on 47 different systems with various architectures.

As a youngster in the 1990s, I received, as a gift, a toy robot dinosaur. It was pretty cool. I put all the pieces together, slapped a couple of batteries in it, and it would walk around and roar and the gun turrets on its chest would spin. Then, over the course of my family's many moves, the toy robot was thrown away and forgotten.

Today I randomly looked it up, and found that it was a King Gojulas from the Zoids series of robot toys. And, apparently, it's quite sought after these days.

So, basically, today I learned that I used to own an awesome vintage toy, and did not know its true value, and threw it away.

So, basically, today I learned that I used to own an awesome vintage toy, and did not know its true value, and threw it away.
Which is why it is now sought after and worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Your memories of your fun is worth more than anyone could pay you for that toy anyway.

TIL that when Martin made a custom guitar for Joan Baez the luthier wrote, "Too bad you're a communist" inside the guitar. She never knew this until Martin approached her to replicate her guitar model for limited replica release. Now, all the replicas (59 signed and numbered) have that written in them. That luthier didn't like her politics, but still did his job and made a beautiful instrument albeit with a bit of a protest of his own.

TIL about the Manchineel, the world's deadliest tree*

manchineel.jpg

Looks like a great place to rest, huh? Well, you shouldn't. All parts of this tree are harmful. It has a milky-white sap that is so caustic it can cause chemical burns, strip paint off cars, and even cause blisters if you happen to be standing under the tree during a rain storm. Burning the wood releases a toxic smoke that can damage your eyes. If you eat one of the apples it produces, there is a good chance you will die.

Certain American Indians, native to Florida used to use the sap to poison their arrows. They used these arrows to kill Ponce De Leon. There are also tales of those same tribes tying prisoners to the tree trunks as a form of torture or painful execution.

Many places where the tree is native, the locals have marked them with either warning signs, a red X on the trunk, or a red band around the trunk.

* - to humans

I think there were trees like that in The Gods Must Be Crazy. I know at the end, when they're having a gunfight with the insurgents, one of the protagonists shoots the tree, splattering the sheltering insurgents with milky-white sap that apparently burned very badly.

TIL N64 outputs the majority of its video at 320x200p.
And this is why we can't see it on our television now that we finally decided to hook it up and try it, apparently any signal going into our television has to be a minimum resolution of 640x400.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL N64 outputs the majority of its video at 320x200p.
And this is why we can't see it on our television now that we finally decided to hook it up and try it, apparently any signal going into our television has to be a minimum resolution of 640x400.

--Patrick
Oh yeah, man. N64 had pixels the size of cats. It was ridiculous.

We have standard def in the house. I'm just not excited about switching them out every time we want to play.
Looking at analog adapters that'll let me use the VGA port now.

--Patrick

Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to love chestnuts so badly. All the christmas songs my grandparents loved, and all the old holiday specials and christmas books I had talked about them.

But every time I've tried them (which didn't happen until my 30's), they've utterly sucked. The pre-shelled and packaged variety were spongy, watery and weird tasting. Every time I've tried, I think to myself "surely this can't be what all the hoopla is about."

It's not.

Those crappy chestnuts prepacked and vacuum sealed in the grocery store aren't the chestnut that all of those songs are about--they're asian chestnuts. In the early 1900's, a blight started wiping out the American chestnut, destroying billions of trees. The roots are partially resistant to the blight, so the American chestnut still exists in some places as root systems, but every time a shoot sprouts up from these ancient root systems to form a tree, the blight gets it.

Efforts to breed or inoculate American chestnuts to resist the blight are underway. Maybe some day in my life time, I'll taste a real roasted American chestnut.

That said, I couldn't resist buying a bag of chestnuts in the shell (as opposed to those pre-packed, pre-shelled, variety) from the produce section today, in the hopes that roasting them will produce something orders of magnitude better than that prepackaged crap.

They're ostensibly Italian chestnuts...but it's hard to know for sure, as the Italian chestnut harvest has been decimated by a Chinese chestnut wasp. Impostor asian chestnuts have flooded that market, masquerading as Italian chestnuts.

Last edited:
Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to love chestnuts so badly. All the christmas songs my grandparents loved, and all the old holiday specials and christmas books I had talked about them.

But every time I've tried them (which didn't happen until my 30's), they've utterly sucked. The pre-shelled and packaged variety were spongy, watery and weird tasting. Every time I've tried, I think to myself "surely this can't be what all the hoopla is about."

It's not.

Those crappy chestnuts prepacked and vacuum sealed in the grocery store aren't the chestnut that all of those songs are about--they're asian chestnuts. In the early 1900's, a blight started wiping out the American chestnut, destroying billions of trees. The roots are partially resistant to the blight, so the American chestnut still exists in some places as root systems, but every time a shoot sprouts up from these ancient root systems to form a tree, the blight gets it.

Efforts to breed or inoculate American chestnuts to resist the blight are underway. Maybe some day in my life time, I'll taste a real roasted American chestnut.

That said, I couldn't resist buying a bag of asian chestnuts in the shell (as opposed to those pre-packed, pre-shelled, variety) from the produce section today, in the hopes that roasting them will produce something orders of magnitude better than that prepackaged crap.

Hazelnuts my friend. Hazelnuts are where it's at.