TIL: Today I Learned

when I had my children, in the early years, I raised them on first and foremost on vegetables and animal protein. even though they are not and have not been in my custody for years, they still have the slim athletic and healthy body frames. despite their mother and stepfather being both... well... fat(ish). definitely over weight.

I just wanted to try to pretend I did something good once. go ahead and ignore this post

fade

Staff member
My kids are in great shape. It's definitely my parenting. They're all like, "Please Dad, can I stop pushing this millstone, my thighs hurt!" and I'm like "how do expect me to eat fresh bread if you don't grind the wheat?" and they're like, "We don't get any fresh bread", and I'm like, "Not with that attitude, you don't."

My kids are in great shape. It's definitely my parenting. They're all like, "Please Dad, can I stop pushing this millstone, my thighs hurt!" and I'm like "how do expect me to eat fresh bread if you don't grind the wheat?" and they're like, "We don't get any fresh bread", and I'm like, "Not with that attitude, you don't."
tumblr_static_image_24143_3.jpg

--Patrick

Gee, I wish I had a dad like you.

So that kid's show I linked in the Random Crap thread, Eureeka's Castle, was something my brother and I watched a lot as kids.

TIL it was co-created by RL Stine, of Goosebumps.

I'd be curious to know how well it works. Personally I'd be worried about Amazon raising the prices however they please and not even giving you the best option available on their own website, just because most people will never bother to check once they've set it to auto-order.

Also, I'm pretty sure that in my family we'd have still ended up with too many orders, even if it wouldn't re-order until after the first one shipped. It would have to have a shut-off of at least half the length of the expected re-order period to prevent over-ordering, because someone would hit the button thinking that we needed more, without checking the storage closet to see if we were actually out. (We've done that with physically writing the item on the grocery list, so pressing a button at the site of need is even more likely to make it happen).
Got my first 4 dash buttons today. Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags and clorox wipes.

Setup required the shopping app via the phone. Annoying, but understandable--the phone app has native access to the wifi network, whereas communicating with the button via a browser would be more challenging. Otherwise, the setup was really easy. Since I got "branded" dash buttons, once I connected the device, I got multiple choices of what exactly I wanted to buy in that brand.

The choices are all "bulk size" orders. 16 or 32 rolls of tp, 8 or 12 rolls of paper towels, etc. I don't mind, because I usually bulk purchase these items at Costco anyway. The prices, at least so far, are 2-3 dollars more than a comparable amount/product from Costco, but all have 2-day shipping. I don't mind paying a couple bucks for that convenience.

Called my wife into the office and had her hit the toilet paper button. Got a notification of the purchase on my phone nearly instantly.

All of the items I got a dash button for have a standard storage location in the house for the bulk purchases, so it'll be easy to open the pantry, for instance, see we're low on paper towels, and hit the button that's mounted nearby. There'd be no reason to hit it if there's a bunch of paper towels in there.

Last edited:
Got my first 4 dash buttons today. Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags and clorox wipes.

Setup required the shopping app via the phone. Annoying, but understandable--the phone app has native access to the wifi network, whereas communicating with the button via a browser would be more challenging. Otherwise, the setup was really easy. Since I got "branded" dash buttons, once I connected the device, I got multiple choices of what exactly I wanted to buy in that brand.

The choices are all "bulk size" orders. 16 or 32 rolls of tp, 8 or 12 rolls of paper towels, etc. I don't mind, because I usually bulk purchase these items at Costco anyway. The prices, at least so far, are 2-3 dollars more than a comparable amount/product from Costco, but all have 2-day shipping. I don't mind paying a couple bucks for that convenience.

Called my wife into the office and had her hit the toilet paper button. Got a notification of the purchase on my phone nearly instantly.

All of the items I got a dash button for have a standard storage location in the house for the bulk purchases, so it'll be easy to open the pantry, for instance, see we're low on paper towels, and hit the button that's mounted nearby. There'd be no reason to hit it if there's a bunch of paper towels in there.
What happens when your wife opens the pantry, sees there's no paper towels, and hits the button, after you've already seen there's no paper towels and hit the button? Does it have a period of time where it won't re-order to avoid repeat orders?

What happens when your wife opens the pantry, sees there's no paper towels, and hits the button, after you've already seen there's no paper towels and hit the button? Does it have a period of time where it won't re-order to avoid repeat orders?
It won't place a second order until after the first is delivered. You can override this behavior, but I don't know why you would.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I'm sure it's entirely psychosomatic but my tummy feels REALLY funny after eating a bajillion prickly pear seeds.

TIL that office365's online word program can be used as an impromptu chat room where multiple people can log in under the same email and no one can tell who is typing what.

This had an immediate negative effect on productivity in our department at work but definitely provided some needed giggles to speed up the day.

In case there was ever anyone with any doubt whatsoever, today I learned, from personal experience, that coffee with Coke Zero is gross.

Try a dragonfruit.

Or eat a rambutan in front of your coworkers. Tell 'em it's ... something else.

--Patrick

There's a type of dragonfruit where the fruit's flesh is dark purple. When you slice it, the juices are bright red, and it gets all over your knife and cutting board and hands in such a way so as to make you feel like you're a serial killer.

Dragonfruit is how I satisfy my secret Shego fantasies.