TIL: Today I Learned

I don't see the problem with this, really, other than the expense.

I'd be more than OK with being able to reorder stuff with the touch of a button.

fade

Staff member
I'm sure you all know this, but there are smartphone apps that do exactly what you're all talking about. My wife uses one quite a bit.

I'm sure you all know this, but there are smartphone apps that do exactly what you're all talking about. My wife uses one quite a bit.
They probably don't work in my area. :(

We can't even use Uber here and half the places don't deliver. I sure as hell am not paying shipping for toilet paper :p

fade

Staff member
TIL what "ePacket" really means. Suddenly I'm finding that $1 for 100 transistors with free shipping from China is less appealing than it sounded.

fade

Staff member
TIL that the premise of Open Water--going swimming in the deep ocean, but forgetting to put the ladder down--is not terribly uncommon.

figmentPez

Staff member
TIL: GM is claiming that you don't own your car, they do.

This is an interesting twist on a software EULA. GM is claiming that because modern cars need computer components to run, and they're running software that GM owns, anyone buying a car isn't actually purchasing the vehicle outright, they're just buying the license to use it.

"The U.S. Copyright Office is currently holding a series of hearings on whether or not anyone other than the manufacturer of a car has a right to tinker with that car’s copyrighted software."

This means deciding if hobbyists have the legal right to work on their own cars, and if GM can force mechanics to be licensed in order to legally work on GM cars.

TIL: GM is claiming that you don't own your car, they do.

This is an interesting twist on a software EULA. GM is claiming that because modern cars need computer components to run, and they're running software that GM owns, anyone buying a car isn't actually purchasing the vehicle outright, they're just buying the license to use it.

"The U.S. Copyright Office is currently holding a series of hearings on whether or not anyone other than the manufacturer of a car has a right to tinker with that car’s copyrighted software."

This means deciding if hobbyists have the legal right to work on their own cars, and if GM can force mechanics to be licensed in order to legally work on GM cars.
John Deere has already been doing that. You're behind on your evil, GM. The fuckin' tractor guys are beating you.

TIL: Dave Grohl intended to use the name "Foo Fighters" as a cover to prevent anyone from knowing he was actually in a band.

John Deere has already been doing that. You're behind on your evil, GM. The fuckin' tractor guys are beating you.
Does that mean that those vehicles do/would not count as assets that can be sold by the users? Or that those users need GM/John Deere's permission to do so? That's...really kind of awful.

It seems like this needs some kind of "If you (company) are going to claim this, then here's a millstone to hang around your (company's) neck," like they should be forced to do all of the preventative maintenance if they own it, or they should be forced to design a model that doesn't need any proprietary software to function.

--Patrick

It seems like this needs some kind of "If you (company) are going to claim this, then here's a millstone to hang around your (company's) neck," like they should be forced to do all of the preventative maintenance if they own it...
And pay all the insurance.
As much as I hate frivolous litigation, if someone can pursue a successful lawsuit proving this, GM et al may change their tune.

As much as I hate frivolous litigation, if someone can pursue a successful lawsuit proving this, GM et al may change their tune.
I hate frivolous legislation as much as the next guy (gal), but if someone manages to pull something like this guy, I will be very interested in the outcome.

--Patrick