TIL: Today I Learned

TIL (more like things I've learned about myself) - My likelihood to get angry about things online is directly related to how my current relationship is going. A woman in my life definitely grounds me in how I deal with shit.

"THIS MAKES ME MAD."

"Why are you so mad? That doesn't matter in your life in any way. Here, I'm going to talk to you about something that matters now."

"Ah shit, you're right."

I know, I just think it's funny what sort of correlations one could draw if one were, say, a TV journalist or clickbait writer: "Drinking Sex on the Beach makes you racist and poor! Click here to find out more!"

TIL that as a community, we only seemingly agree on two things:

1) Eggs for breakfast are awesome.

2) Ear gauges are bullshit, and we don't get them.

Don't forget steaks!
I will never forget the Halforums Steak War of '10. The souls lost, the lives ruined. We warned them! We warned them with the great calamities that would befall the faithless! We warned them of the foul future they would endure!

But it was all for naught.

Damn the Well-Dones and their accurséd A1 allies!

TIL that I have a strong dislike for the people known as "they"

"They say you only need to know 2000 words of a language to be fluent." Really? because there's a lot of people I come across that don't know what the hell they are saying in their native tongue...

"They say you shouldn't piss on an electric fence." Bullshit, it's fine. Stream isn't constant

"They say that everytime you...." Whatever

"They say that...." *sigh*

Who the fuck are "they" and why do "they" talk so damned much?!?!

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL that I have a strong dislike for the people known as "they"

"They say you only need to know 2000 words of a language to be fluent." Really? because there's a lot of people I come across that don't know what the hell they are saying in their native tongue...

"They say you shouldn't piss on an electric fence." Bullshit, it's fine. Stream isn't constant

"They say that everytime you...." Whatever

"They say that...." *sigh*

Who the fuck are "they" and why do "they" talk so damned much?!?!
"This is so nice, I think I might sleep with the same girl twice, they say it's better the second time, they say you get to do the wierd stuff."

I never thought Goof Troop was one of their better "Disney Afternoon" cartoons, but I do think A Goofy Movie is underrated.

I never thought Goof Troop was one of their better "Disney Afternoon" cartoons, but I do think A Goofy Movie is underrated.
Yeah its no Ducktales, but I feel it still holds up. The movies, shit are my memories of them vague, probably because the few times I watched them was like WAY late at night when friends were over.

TIL: People shouldn't let me post when I'm blackout drunk. My phone and my laptop both need breathalyzers.

So, I was texting my girlfriend, and she posits that I may have a bit of thing for older women. I say that's preposterous, she's the first cradle robber that I've been with. Then she asks me to list her off the celebrities I have the biggest thing for....and she's right. I listed Katie Aselton (from The League), Kim Dickens (Deadwood and recently Gone Girl), Julianne Moore, Jennifer Connelly (God damn you Jarvis) etc.

I had never really thought about it much but TIL I may like the older ladies.

TIL that Jennifer Connolly is considered an older lady, and that makes me feel old.
Well, I meant older than me, but she is in her forties.[DOUBLEPOST=1412769922,1412769851][/DOUBLEPOST]
Jennifer Connolly in the Rocketeer was one of my first crushes.
Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth was one of mine.

Before anyone posts the Elvis pic, I was about 8 when I saw it (5 years after it came out).

TIL:
Project Habakkuk was a plan by the British during the Second World War to construct an aircraft carrier out of pykrete (a mixture of wood pulp and ice) for use against German U-boats in the mid-Atlantic, which were beyond the flight range of land-based planes at that time.

TIL:
Project Habakkuk was a plan by the British during the Second World War to construct an aircraft carrier out of pykrete (a mixture of wood pulp and ice) for use against German U-boats in the mid-Atlantic, which were beyond the flight range of land-based planes at that time.
Okay, that is actually really cool.

Project Habakkuk is one of those projects where it was like everyone at the time got on the same brain wave. The Germans had a similar line of thought but I don't believe they ever got past preliminary testing. The Soviets (not sure if it was pre- or post-alliance) had a plan for an ice based air field as well but it would have needed to operate in the west, where they believed the water the bloc countries had would be too warm so it was scrapped out of hand.

The British project actually got the furthest and was greeted the most enthusiastically.

It's realy interesting to read about and I'm glad someone else know about it!