"Thinspo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaHands

Staff member
So, there's this craze going on in the internet called "Thinspo", which is short for 'Thinspiration'.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/thinspo

Is anyone else disturbed by this kind of thing? Like, some sort of pro-ana movement where girls are all sharing how little calories they've eaten, posting pictures of girls who are completely unhealthy looking and talking about how bad they want jutting hipbones?

Cajungal

Staff member
The tumblr link didn't work for me (I'm on my phone; that might have something to do with it), so i went looking for other pictures. I definitely saw some unhealthy-looking people, but I also saw some who just looked really good and fit. I'll have to check this tumblr out later, though.

There was one pic in particular that I saw who had lovely curves in her before picture (and no belly either) and then in her after shot she was just a stick. That one in particular bummed me out a bit. Although it wasn't sick-looking thin, more like a runner. So that's good.

BananaHands

Staff member
Well, basically it's a movement on a lot of social media websites where girls are posting pictures and helping encourage others to not eat in order to get skinny. There's pictures like this:

[DOUBLEPOST=1345136129][/DOUBLEPOST]
The tumblr link didn't work for me (I'm on my phone; that might have something to do with it), so i went looking for other pictures. I definitely saw some unhealthy-looking people, but I also saw some who just looked really good and fit. I'll have to check this tumblr out later, though.

There was one pic in particular that I saw who had lovely curves in her before picture (and no belly either) and then in her after shot she was just a stick. That one in particular bummed me out a bit. Although it wasn't sick-looking thin, more like a runner. So that's good.

There is another movement called "Fitspo" which seems to be a lot healthier though, more 'work out'/'eat healthy' than just starve.

Cajungal

Staff member
Gah, ok some of those are indeed excessive. I don't particularly like the idea of trying to be thin because that must mean you're fit and healthy. Healthy can look like many things. I'm still chubby, but I feel fit. I guess it's easier to post visible results than to explain how different you feel--or at least easier for the people coming in looking for inspiration. "I have more energy" doesn't have the same kick as vastly different before and after photos, although it should.

It looks like some girls get that and some don't. The "yay I didn't eat anything" post was weird, but I also saw posts of the top 10 healthiest foods and some good, practical advice. So this kind of thing can be odd and possibly destructive (we dont need to see your ribs...), but it can also be a good way to keep people productive and inspired.

Cajungal

Staff member
Also even if I were thin, no one's seeing me in a damn sports bra and underwear... Well not the whole Internet anyway. Where are all the shy people??

BananaHands

Staff member
Oh yeah, I definitely see the benefits of a community sharing achievements/motivation/pictures, but that's if there's a healthy lifestyle behind it (i.e. HalFitness), but thinspo seems to just rear it's ugly head and you get girls posting pictures like this:

And being incredibly proud.

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't get the hipbone thing either. It's like Crucifixion Chic. Those kinds of pictures can lead to unhealthy and unrealistic expectations for sure.

This is completely unhealthy and thanks to he unrealistic beauty standards.

HOWEVER, I believe on the same thing, we shouldn't shame people for being skinny. Calling them ewwww skeletons is just as shaming as calling a fat person a whale.

GasBandit

Staff member
This is completely unhealthy and thanks to he unrealistic beauty standards.

HOWEVER, I believe on the same thing, we shouldn't shame people for being skinny. Calling them ewwww skeletons is just as shaming as calling a fat person a whale.
Depends on if they are holding themselves up as an (unhealthy) ideal for which others should strive.

There is also fitspo which, depending on how it's presented, can be just as bad as thinspo because it promotes an obsession with exercise instead of fitness.

This kind of reminds me of all the asinine crap the morning TV shows were saying about "HOW TO HAVE THE FIGURE OF AN OLYMPIAN, when we come back from commercials."

My thought was, quit your job, eat 12,000 calories a day, and work out 6-10 hours a day 6-7 days a week...

Also, thinspo disturbs me because it condones eating disorders as a way to lose weight. I've seen posts on Pinterest that give details of the diet that the excessively thin person in the photo followed in order to lose more weight. I've also seen posts that talk about how the person is not going to stop losing weight until she can see her bones. There is a difference between being naturally thin and promoting an unhealthy obsession.

Cajungal

Staff member
That's a good point, Wasabi. I actually know a dude who dedicated about 3 hours a day to exercise for a while. He was really proud of it, but he wasn't very healthy at all. He ate shitty food, drank 4-6 sodas a day, and went out drinking every night. That's kind of an extreme example (especially since now he's gotten extremely big since stopping the regimen), but people need to realize that even doing a little activity each day is a good step, especially of you're eating well. Hell, most days I can't manage more than 20-30 minutes. Better than nothing!

I've actually started losing weight by INCREASING the amount I eat. I wasn't taking in too many calories for the most part, I was just having them all in 1 or two meals per day. Now I have regular healthy snacks and smaller portioned meals. I'm down a whole belt loop.

BananaHands

Staff member
I've actually started losing weight by INCREASING the amount I eat. I wasn't taking in too many calories for the most part, I was just having them all in 1 or two meals per day. Now I have regular healthy snacks and smaller portioned meals. I'm down a whole belt loop.
Same thing. Eat just as much, I just avoid sugary foods and unnecessary carbs. Those Steamers bags full of veggies are great too.

BananaHands

Staff member
Here's an article about concerns over Miley Cyrus promoting a thinspo lifestyle?

The photo, which was retweeted over 8,000 times and favorited about as many, has already alarmed some bloggers, who are worried that she, herself, may be taking her diet and exercise regime to a pre-wedding extreme. And it's not her first body-shot that's got people buzzing. But even if she's totally fine and healthy (which all accounts still indicate that she is), there's something more concerning about this photo: That it could and probably will be used by pro-ana and thinspo sites.
Here's a comment though:
I dont understand why do people think if they are not thin they can critisize others that are and imply that something is wrong with them!!! I've been experiencing this for the past ten years from my surrounding, just cause my body has a fast metabolism doesnt mean Im anorexic or something is wrong with me! So please stop this useless critizism and please write about other stuff cause this subject is already worn out!
Thoughts?

I don't think Miley Cyrus needs to censor herself to prevent being a trigger for people who have a disorder. I think that as a person in the public eye she will be torn apart no matter what she does. Look at how the Duchess of Cambridge (aka Kate Middleton) was dissected by certain media outlets for being too thin prior to her wedding. I don't think anyone told her or suggested publicly that she needed to be a watchdog for those who have eating disorder or body dysmorphic disorder. I understand the concern is that actors, sports figures, fashion models and other "stars" are setting an example for young people, but I don't believe someone who is naturally petite should be blamed for or made responsible for other people's actions as far as a psychological disorder is concerned. Will they stop showing Angelina Jolie on the red carpet or Keira Knightly's latest magazine ad because they are suspected of promoting an unhealthy body image since both are quite thin? I doubt it. The problem goes deeper than seeing a picture of a celebrity online or in a magazine. Body image is something that begins forming at a very young age. Last semester I did a paper on body image. I was shocked to find a study that showed girls as young as 5 or 6 years old were already talking about dieting and not liking the way they look. SIX YEARS OLD! This not only comes from media, but from what they learn from their own parents and friends about body image, dieting, exercise, etc. As someone who had problems with an eating disorder at a young age, I know the influence of my family and peers had a lot to do with how I felt about myself and why I thought I needed to be thinner than I already was. My mom, maternal grandmother, and great-aunts were forever on diets and crazy exercise regiments. I was also a dancer from the time I was 4 years old. My pointe instructor told me I had to lose weight. So I did by eating ramen noodles once a day and not much else. I wasn't influenced by media. It came from other factors in my environment. So truthfully, while I do understand where the author of the article is coming from, because media does play a big part in influencing young people, I also feel there are other factors to consider before condemning stars for promoting thinspo or being pro-ana.

Thoughts?
There's obviously a difference between being (extremely/unhealthily) thin because you're striving for it, and because you have real trouble with your metabolism etc.
Some people (@Amorous Eyes IIRC) on here are very thin simply because they can't gain weight properly. That's just a much a problem for those people as the opposite can be for some people (eating and exercising a normal and healthy amount, still being overweight and in bad shape).

People promoting an unhealthy lifestyle (purging, fasting, waterbinging,...) to try and look like a skeleton is the exact same thing, and equally wrong, as people who'd go about promoting eating McDonalds 3x a day, drinking 10 gallons of coke and not moving, as a way of looking as much as possible like a blimp. Our current culture has a beauty ideal that lies closer to "too thin" than to "too fat" so this may seem strange, but it'd be just as much a possibility.

Everyone should try to be somewhat healthy in their food intake, and try to get some exercise. Your body should register OK in all categories. But as long as you're not too heavy and causing strain on your knees, or too thin and causing irregularities in your period, or too out-of-shape to move around your house, or have cholesterol that's wayyyyy too high,...you're probably in the "healthy" zone. And "healthy", folks, is really the most beautiful of all.
Does that mean it's wrong to want to lose a few pounds? No, of course not. Wanting to lose some weight, or gain some musculature, or just generally feel more active/have more energy, are perfectly good reasons to want to work on your body. Going to some extreme or another? Eggghhh.

Cajungal

Staff member
I will say that sometimes, just because of how the typical size of people is changing, I really do feel that sometimes people view a person who is naturally thin as someone who is unhealthy. One of my oldest friends is a good example. She eats well every day and has a really physical job. People look at her and suspect anorexia or something. Anyone who truly knows her knows that she simply takes care of herself. And she doesn't deny herself what she enjoys either... She just has the self control to eat an actual serving of her favorite ice cream instead of a punch bowl full.

Has anyone noticed how sizes in some clothing stores are way different now? Last week at Old Navy, I fit into a small shirt... With room leftover. I feel like the clothing industry is trying to coddle me. I can handle buying something with an "L" on it, for God's sake.

BananaHands

Staff member
One of my oldest friends is a good example. She eats well every day and has a really physical job. People look at her and suspect anorexia or something.
I have a really good friend who's in the same boat that has to deal with that too. I think my biggest annoyance is that yes, there are people who are born with a naturally thick or big frame, but there are a lot of times where I'll see girls who have terrible eating/exercise habits who will bitch and moan about shallow guys liking 'sticks' over them. My friend's roommate used to eat McDonalds five times a week and is always on a facebook tangent about how men are terrible for not liking her full figure. She also always posts Ryan Gossling pictures.

Has anyone noticed how sizes in some clothing stores are way different now? Last week at Old Navy, I fit into a small shirt... With room leftover. I feel like the clothing industry is trying to coddle me. I can handle buying something with an "L" on it, for God's sake.

My wife and I were in Vegas recently and sizes for clothes for her were all over the place (they were more consistent for me). Seriously, she bought shirts that ranged from small, medium to large in the same bloody store. It was really odd. The sizing seems to be less ridiculous in Canada (for the moment).

The responses on this thing make me so incredibly sad... but the photos of the girl make me even sadder. She looks incredibly frail, malnourished and unhealthy. She also looks probably a decade older than she really is... and the scariest part is she seems genuinely happy about the whole situation.

It just... ick... I don't know... it gives me a really uncomfortable feeling in my stomach reading that stuff.

BananaHands

Staff member
The responses on this thing make me so incredibly sad... but the photos of the girl make me even sadder. She looks incredibly frail, malnourished and unhealthy. She also looks probably a decade older than she really is... and the scariest part is she seems genuinely happy about the whole situation.

It just... ick... I don't know... it gives me a really uncomfortable feeling in my stomach reading that stuff.
I feel the same thing too. I think that's the danger of this thinspo thing... here's a girl who clearly has unhealthy and dangerous eating habits and her page is full of validation about how pretty she is with those bones jutting out of her.

There was one comment in particular of a girl who weighed 132 lbs and said she felt like a cow. WTF?????!!!!!

Also, that girl in the photos is probably a few pounds away from fitting the description of being emaciated.

Emaciated =/= beautiful

I hate the inconsistency of sizing. I have bought jeans in one size that fit great, then tried another pair by the same maker in the same size that I couldn't pull up past my knees. Trying to find clothing that fits is a joke.

I find it kind of interesting that she says she's been to doctors and they've told her she's healthy. I find that very hard to believe. No doctor who see's a girl that is 5'8' weighing 93 lbs is going to say, 'You're good, no need to change a thing!'. They may tell her that she's healthy in a sense that nothing is wrong internally, yet. But I bet you anything they've told her she could use a few more lbs on that frail body of hers.

But...I don't want to comment to much on this. I don't want to shame anyone...and I'd rather go set an example by taking care of myself than trying to worry my little heart to death about someone that I could probably never be able to help.

There was one comment in particular of a girl who weighed 132 lbs and said she felt like a cow. WTF?????!!!!!
OMG, that's less than I weigh! (At least I'm pretty sure - I don't own a scale, but the last time I checked I was in the 140's..) Ha, and I don't feel like a cow at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.