Things to do in Austin TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I get to go to Austin this May for a conference I'll be running a demo at. I'll be there from Sunday to Thursday, and since this is my first time to Austin (Texas also, unless you count flying into El Paso before driving straight into New Mexico) I figured I'd ask the people familiar with the area (at least one of the Texans on here are from the Austin area right? or is it all Houston?).

6th street, many bars and live music venues.

Congress Street Bridge - Largest urban bat population in the world.

Free tour of the State Capitol.

figmentPez

Staff member
My sister is crazy about Flip Happy Crepes. She goes there every time she's out in Austin visiting friends. I hear there are a lot of good places to eat in Austin.

Going to agree, when given the option to go to a theater I almost always go to the Drafthouse. Really really good food/drinks while watching a movie comfortably.

Necronic

Staff member
For bars I would suggest avoiding 6th street and going straight to 5th/4th street. You avoid the college kids (mostly) and get to hit some nicer places. One in particular I would suggest is "The Speakeasy". It's pretty hard to find (the entrance is down an alley) but it's a fantastic bar.

As for places, since you're going in May I would suggest Barton Springs. It's a set of natural springs that has been converted into a pool. It's super cold, which is pretty nice in summer. And, if you're a bit adventurous you could try out the green belt, which is a massive park/forest.

I would also suggest that you go check out the University. UT is one of the biggest Universities in the world and it's crammed into 6 x 6 blocks (more or less). It's worth seeing.

trying to think of other stuff.....can't really. Maybe the capital building? South Congress? The thing about Austin is that it's less a place to visit and more a place to live. There are few single attractions that stand out on their own. It's more the fact that the entire city is amazing.

Seems a little late to post any more suggestions on this, I missed it last week and decided not to post, but I guess since Necronic did I would just say I agree on Barton Springs. Also, if you like some tex-mex, I recommend checking out Chuy's if you don't have one near your home location.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, late, but...

If you've never been to Texas before, try eating a Freebirds' Super Monster burrito once. Freebirds makes Chipotle look like a badly maintained taco bell.

When I was living in S_A, I ate Freebirds maybe 2x a month. It was freakin amazing. It was one of the things I missed most about S_A when I moved back down here.... until 2 months ago when we got a Freebirds!

Now I'm back to my 2x a month "nom nom" fest. Seriously, it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.