[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Finished watching the english dub of Season 1 of KonoSuba last night. Overall decent, perhaps a little bit too "overacted" a la most shonen anime these days. Aqua continues to be utter trash, but I guess that's by design. Localization of the dialogue/vernacular is pretty good, especially on Kazuma's deadpan asides.

Finished Yuru Camp the other day. Cute, relaxing series, not that I'm telling anyone anything new. I was surprised at the tiny bits of fanservice though, felt a bit jarring.

Grimms Notes: Stick to the script, kid.
Maerchen Maedchen: If you don't like what is being said, then change the conversation.
Maerchen Maedchen > Grimms Notes. So there.

A separate HIDIVE subscription has just become pointless. Looks like Crunchyroll has picked up all of their offerings this season.

GasBandit

Staff member
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (Seasons 1 and 2)

Genre: Romance, Comedy, High School, Harem(ish)
Fanservice: None really to speak of
Premise: Hachiman Hikigaya is an apathetic high school student with narcissistic and semi-nihilistic tendencies. He firmly believes that joyful youth is nothing but a farce, and everyone who says otherwise is just lying to themselves. In a novel punishment for writing an essay mocking modern social relationships, Hachiman's teacher forces him to join the Volunteer Service Club, a club that aims to extend a helping hand to any student who seeks their support in achieving their goals. With the only other club member being the beautiful ice queen Yukino Yukinoshita, Hachiman finds himself on the front line of other people's problems—a place he never dreamed he would be. As Hachiman and Yukino use their wits to solve many students' problems, will Hachiman's rotten view of society prove to be a hindrance or a tool he can use to his advantage?

It starts off with a rather interesting premise - Hikigaya is a misanthrope of the first order, forced into a club whose aim is to help people, and is paired off against an aloof, intelligent, beautiful girl - which, as an unpopular scoundrel, grates on him even more. It has a lot of interesting episodes with unconventional resolutions, many of which involve Hikigaya martyring himself for people he doesn't claim to care much about - he explains it away as because nobody likes him to begin with, it's nothing for him to solve people's problems by becoming the bad guy, whether it be as a common enemy to unite vacillating friends, or throwing himself on a metaphorical grenade of embarrasment so someone else doesn't have to. Over the course of the show's run, his distaste for other people slowly cracks away, revealed to be the defense mechanism it always was, and his classmates accordingly also come to appreciate him - or at least become less repulsed by him. And, naturally, a love triangle begins to develop where nobody can come right out and say what they're feeling because then we wouldn't have a show.

It seems to borrow a lot from its contemporaries (I especially see a lot of direct parallels between this and Toradora), but doesn't shine as brightly as any of them, and frankly a lot of what it tries to do, Bunny Girl Senpai did better (albeit later). Despite all that, it's an entertaining watch... until about halfway into the second season. Then it just all kind of goes off the rails and becomes a slog. Most irritatingly of all, none of the primary conflicts of the show's overall plot arc are resolved by the end of season 2, and season 3 is probably a long ways out, if ever, as it is apparently waiting for more LN/Manga source material.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's really only worth watching right now if you have nothing much else to do, and are looking for ANYTHING you haven't watched yet as a fix for an anime craving itch you just can't seem to scratch.

Verdict: OK (2.5/5)

Last edited:
Dragonball Super-Broly

Holy SHIT this was good, especially on a big screen with NOBODY else there! The animation, the humor, its pure Dragonball greatness that shines even through the occasional bad Toei-CGI.

Spoilers for the one other hypothetical person besides me who isn't caught up on Super.

They fix the most BASIC problems with Broly and it improves the character immensely:
  • He isn't obsessed with KAKAROT, which never made ANY sense given hearing a baby cry is the worst villain origin EVER.
  • They give a better reason for him being Green than just being "Legendary", having him channel his greatape powers without transforming.
  • He...has an ACTUAL personality this time, other than just mindless destruction machine. Still mostly quiet, but more personality .
Paragus is also better in this to, hes still obsessed with revenge, but he honestly feels more human, even actually caring about his son's safety....at the last minute, STILL treated him like an attack dog though.

It also makes more sense that Frieza bankrolled his revenge trip, as HOW did he afford all those minions in the original flick?

Also guy glad to see Gogeta shenanigans, total flashback to "Fusion Reborn", he EVEN fired a rainbow ball at Broly like he did at Janemba.

And that...that GLORIOUS end line.

"My name is Goku, but you Broly...you call me Kakarot".

HAHA you fuckers knew what you were doing with that line!

Either way, fun film!

Apparently some Reddit admins got their knickers in a twist over a picture of Kaguya-sama in a bikini and started swinging the banhammer.

I wonder which Akane or Rikka lewd will be the death of me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Angel Beats!

Genre: Supernatural, High School, Comedy, Action, Romance
Fanservice: Shirtless dudes with 8 pack abs
Premise: A much more literal "high school of the dead." This school serves as a sort of purgatory for high school kids who died, and are unable to move on. While most of the students simply take it as an opportunity to get the happy youth they were denied, and fade away to nothingness, a group of dysfunctional nitwits are resolved to resist the system and shake their collective fist at God, vowing to fight against the angel put there to oversee what they view as their spiritual obliteration.

This is a fairly decent one. My only real complaint is that it felt like it had barely just gotten started when it only had 3 episodes left and thus had to wrap it up in a hurry. While it's good that the story had an end with closure, I feel like there was at least 2 seasons worth of gold to be mined from this premise, maybe even 3. But, alas, 13 episodes (and two OVAs and a prequel) are all we get.

The show has a good mix of goofball comedy and heartstring tugging sadness. The silliness and the poignancy manage to never step on each other. While not exactly an epic "must-see," I'd say it's worth watching.

Verdict: Good (3.5/5)

Last edited:
Angel Beats!

Genre: Supernatural, High School, Comedy, Action, Romance
Fanservice: Shirtless dudes with 8 pack abs
Premise: A much more literal "high school of the dead." This school serves as a sort of purgatory for high school kids who died, and are unable to move on. While most of the students simply take it as an opportunity to get the happy youth they were denied, and fade away to nothingness, a group of dysfunctional nitwits are resolved to resist the system and shake their collective fist at God, vowing to fight against the angel put there to oversee what they view as their spiritual obliteration.

This is a fairly decent one. My only real complaint is that it felt like it had barely just gotten started when it only had 3 episodes left and thus had to wrap it up in a hurry. While it's good that the story had an end with closure, I feel like there was at least 2 seasons worth of gold to be mined from this premise, maybe even 3. But, alas, 13 episodes (and two OVAs and a prequel) are all we get.

The show has a good mix of goofball comedy and heartstring tugging sadness. The silliness and the poignancy manage to never step on each other. While not exactly an epic "must-see," I'd say it's worth watching.
The show was supposed to have 26 episodes but executives cut it down to just the half.

GasBandit

Staff member
As Dei also posted in discord, RotSH's long-delayed english simuldub is now up on crunchyroll, and is current, and will continue to be released simultaneously going forward.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tried watching Kakegurui on netflix. Lost interest because it overplays its hand (ha ha) on the gambling stakes. It's a school for rich kids so all the antes are debts are stupidly high, so high as to become meaningless. And any of the higher stakes (I'll cut off your fingernails!) break the suspension of disbelief because all the gamblers are pretty girls and it is quite apparent that this series is FAR too chickenshit to follow through with anything like that - on or off screen. So it all sounds like huffy-puffy sound and fury signifying nothing.

At least Yu-gi-oh did occasionally send somebody to the shadow realm, so it's actually more hardcore high-stakes than this so-called "gambling" anime.

Honestly I never finished it, but I enjoyed what I watched and I get the impression it's pretty well regarded. Character design seems to be a sticking point, I think it turns some people off.

Last edited: