[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Rip and tear. Until the goblins are dead!
what i feel so weirded out by is that the doom guy(aka Stanley Blazkowicz, yes thats really his name) is literally the face of chaotic good unstoppable force of justice. When you see him interact with normal humans on the phobos base, he does nothing to intimidate or hurt anyone, he simply by reputation and force of being does what he needs to.

GasBandit

Staff member
I gotta admit I wasn't actually much entertained by it last week, but any series can have an off episode. Guess I'll see tonight if it's better.

SSSS Gridman: The latest series in the Ultrama-I MEAN-Gridman franchise(but seriously, made by the same people). ALSO-I find it interesting that the SSSS is a reference to "Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad", Gridman's American adaptation. Honestly its not bad, even the CGI looks okay, although I DO find it weird how they decided to make the kaiju look and move like the live action suits, particularly in how they'll just keep their mouth agape for NO reason.

SSSS Gridman: The latest series in the Ultrama-I MEAN-Gridman franchise(but seriously, made by the same people). ALSO-I find it interesting that the SSSS is a reference to "Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad", Gridman's American adaptation. Honestly its not bad, even the CGI looks okay, although I DO find it weird how they decided to make the kaiju look and move like the live action suits, particularly in how they'll just keep their mouth agape for NO reason.
We've been talking about it here. It's packed to the hilt with references to both the US and Japanese versions of Gridman.

On the subject of the classic Gridman, REALLY annoyed I can't find a proper English sub. Spanish Sub-EASY-English, nnnnnnnnnnnnnot so muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch. Gettin' flashbacks to the days when I'd obsessively try to find proper subs to the original Super Sentai series to NO avail!

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The voice actress for Priestess in the FuniDub of Goblin Slayer spent all of episode 1 sounding like a chew toy. Dammit, anime.

GasBandit

Staff member
Castlevania Season 2 -

Good stuff. I hope there's a third season, but even if there isn't, this would be good enough.

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL - attempting to watch the climactic DB Super "Tournament of Power" in person in real time would have been 48 minutes of overwhelmingly incomprehensible chaos.

GasBandit

Staff member
High School DxD Season 4 ("Hero")

Genre: Action, Supernatural, Comedy, Harem, Ecchi, High School

Fanservice: Are you kidding? It's a brazen buffet of bare boobs bouncing out of bras, a calamitous constant cavalcade of cascading c-cup chi-chis, giant jiggly jugs, sweater puppies sans sweaters, huge hooter headlights, flagrantly flirtatious funbags, dancing debauched dirtypillows, naughty knockers, mountainously massive mega melons... you get the point. There is literally more screen time in this series where bare breasts are on display than not, and every single episode includes at least one botched attempt at coitus. This is, hands down, the most ribald ecchi anime to stop short of explicit hentai. Definitely not one for the little kids. Though, probably for the little kids in grown up bodies.

Premise: Issei Hyoudou was a loser high school pervert who was unknowingly born with the soul of the red dragon emperor buried inside him. This thrust him obliviously into a three-way war between heaven, hell, and the fallen angels - along with most other mythological deities with their own agendas, it seems. This is the fourth season.

This is hands down one of my favorite anime serieses, and not just because of all the boobs. Though the boobs help. And you know what else doesn't hurt? Rias. Freaking. Gremory. The closest thing I have to a bona fide 2D-waifu.

But even all that aside (as if it weren't enough), the english dub localization is always top notch in DxD. The voice talent loves what they do, you can tell - and the writers really manage to adapt the dialog into a vernacular that makes it sound native english, and not adapted from Japanese. Tons of american pop culture and internet meme references are sprinkled liberally in every episode, and the dialog really goes the extra mile in making it fun to listen to as well as watch. The story itself would be interesting even without the fanservice - blending the religious mythology of just about every culture out there into a tapestry of otherworldly intrigue, to which the simple, base desires of the protagonist to become a "harem king" serves as a mocking counterpoint.

The anime kind of went off the rails in the last 3 episodes of season 3, causing the series creator to fire the old production company and bring in a new one. They've put things back on track, but the transition is a little jarring - not only from the retcon and the change in art style, but also there are some story elements that are kind of just presented as "oh yeah and this happened at some point so now this is happening." When did the valkyrie become a rook? Who is this villain that is acting like I should know who he is? Why did one of the major antagonists from the series suddenly reappear, go out like a little bitch, and then never appear again? It takes some adjustment. But in the long run, I think the change will be for the better, and I look forward to season 5.

GasBandit

Staff member
Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World

Genre: Stuck-In-Another-World, Fish out of water, Fantasy, Drama, Harem?, Time Travel?

Fanservice: None really to speak of, male protagonist in the bath covered only by a barely-strategically-placed towel. However, there is some body horror/mutilation/gore so definitely not one for young kids.

Premise: Subaru is a regular dude, if a bit of a shut in and an exercise nut. He buys some snacks at the corner convenience store, and stepping back out onto the street finds himself inexplicably standing in the middle of a bustling fantasy-world city with nothing but what he had on him. No fanfare, no meeting god, no special abilities, just him, his groceries, his track suit, and his now-largely-useless cell phone and a few hundred yen, which no merchant has ever seen before nor will accept as legal tender.

He is immediately caught up in events beyond his comprehension, and by the end of the day, is stabbed and left to bleed to death. This introduces him, and the audience, into this series' hook - when he dies, he immediately regains consciousness at the time and place where he started, and gets a do-over. It takes him a couple deaths to figure this out. Even once he does, he isn't too particularly keen to abuse the mechanic, because he doesn't know how many do-overs he gets, and besides, dying still freakin' hurts. A lot.

Naturally, he latches on to the first girl who is nice to him in this new world and things progress from there.

Look, Isekai anime are a dime a dozen, I know, but this one isn't a bad watch. It's better than most for a couple reasons - first, the protagonist is not invincible or overpowered, aside from him getting a do-over every time he dies. He's not particularly good at anything, aside for being in relatively decent physical condition, which might help him in an alley brawl but anyone with any actual fighting experience or training outclasses him by miles. He's not any smarter than your average 18 year old would be, either - in fact he's perhaps a little slower on the uptake than most. All he's got going for him is the do-overs and a stubborn streak.

Secondly, the show is well paced and doesn't tip its hand. The audience isn't usually clued in to anything the protagonist doesn't know/experience for himself, so the mystery of how and why Subaru has been transported is preserved, and there's a sense of discovery and puzzle-working as he does each day over trying to figure out how best to approach events so that he lives to see the next sunrise. And there are some curve balls - for example, how does he go about investigating what happened when he apparently dies painlessly in his sleep at one point? How bad do things have to get before Subaru will decide to attempt a do-over by suicide, despite the pain and psychological scarring of "living through" dying again?

So, yeah, it's kind of like Groundhog Day, the Anime, except instead of just looping one day over and over, the restart point seems to change once unknown conditions are met - at first it's just the first moment he arrived in the world, but once he survives that first day, the restart point seems to be when he wakes up the next morning - but when he dies 4 days after that, it reverts back to that second morning.

It's too bad there's apparently some problems with production - the dub of the second half of the series has apparently been delayed and pushed back numerous times, as has the blu-ray, with little to no explanation from funimation. Apparently even the first BD had quality issues, with some saying that the quality was even below that of the crunchyroll stream. But once they get that ironed out, this one's not bad at all. And, of course, it's meme-tastic. Something like 60% of the anime memes I've seen this year have been sourced from Re:Zero.

Last edited:
Girls und Panzer

Went through this with some friends. This is a highly entertaining, perfectly wholesome, legitimately funny show that you could show to pretty much anyone. I was surprised by how good it actually was. Only 12 episodes, some OVAs and a movie, but it's pretty great.

Girls und Panzer

Went through this with some friends. This is a highly entertaining, perfectly wholesome, legitimately funny show that you could show to pretty much anyone. I was surprised by how good it actually was. Only 12 episodes, some OVAs and a movie, but it's pretty great.
literally my favorite franchise of all time at the moment. Its getting SIX movies to finish it out!

GasBandit

Staff member
Started watching a couple other anime the last few days -

Conception - This is awful. I know Gigguk said it was awful, but he also said it was "almost hentai" and even if it WAS hentai (which it isn't, and isn't even as close as some other ecchi anime has been that was much better), it wouldn't even be a good hentai. It's plodding and dull and the characters are bland and tiresome and I never thought I'd be so done with a series that is ostensibly about harem sex as this one. It's just... blluuuuuuh. Two episodes in and I don't even care to watch any more, not even in hopes that he finally gets with the hot redhead (which is explicitly said that it WILL happen because the plot requires him to have a child with every single woman in the series, even the one he's apparently related to by blood? So... ick?).

Black Clover - This is trash. Everything anybody's ever said bad about Black Clover is accurate. It's egregiously shonen, the MC is utterly nails-on-a-blackboard irritating, the plot is entirely by the numbers and has nothing but well-worn tropes to offer. It's like Hunter X Hunter tried to be more like Naruto by making Scrappy-Doo the protagonist. It's just absolute pablum, not worth anyone's time.

Started watching a couple other anime the last few days -

Conception - This is awful. I know Gigguk said it was awful, but he also said it was "almost hentai" and even if it WAS hentai (which it isn't, and isn't even as close as some other ecchi anime has been that was much better), it wouldn't even be a good hentai. It's plodding and dull and the characters are bland and tiresome and I never thought I'd be so done with a series that is ostensibly about harem sex as this one. It's just... blluuuuuuh. Two episodes in and I don't even care to watch any more, not even in hopes that he finally gets with the hot redhead (which is explicitly said that it WILL happen because the plot requires him to have a child with every single woman in the series, even the one he's apparently related to by blood? So... ick?).
Turns out they're not related by blood, and the closest thing to "sex" you get is a handjob from that fucking panda. They need a child from each of the 12 because on their own, each one is completely useless. Dropped before the end of ep 2.

I told you all it was less than garbage weeks before Gigguk. :p

Started watching That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Aussie and I really like it. We both keep thinking about all of the slimes we've killed in RPGs like Dragon Warrior/Quest. I can't wait for there to be some more action like we see in the opening.