[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Can';t believe you guys missed the new Broly trailer:

Seems like it's going to be covering a lot more stuff then we assumed.
Some people are upset that it's retconning a lot of DB/DBZ's established canon, legitimizing the controversial "Dragonball Minus" continuity.

Notably, it:
1) Changes the age Kakarot was sent to earth (as a young child instead of as an infant)
2) Changes the purpose that Kakarot was sent to earth (to save him instead of as a conqueror)
3) Changes the reason Frieza destroys planet Vegeta - now it's because he fears the "Super Saiyan God" legend that wasn't introduced until DBSuper.

We'll see what else it changes, I guess.

Didn't Vegeta refer to Super Saiyan as something only a legendary Saiyan could do anyway? Like, it was a godly thing in the original version of the story, something that hadn't been seen for thousands of years. This isn't an enormous change.

As for the reason Goku was sent to Earth... it's not like anybody but Bardock would know the reason. It doesn't change the story in anyway, everyone else is just going to assume Goku got sent out like every other Saiyan kid; to conquer.

GasBandit

Staff member
Didn't Vegeta refer to Super Saiyan as something only a legendary Saiyan could do anyway? Like, it was a godly thing in the original version of the story, something that hadn't been seen for thousands of years. This isn't an enormous change.

As for the reason Goku was sent to Earth... it's not like anybody but Bardock would know the reason. It doesn't change the story in anyway, everyone else is just going to assume Goku got sent out like every other Saiyan kid; to conquer.
The thing is, there were previously two directly contradictory DBZ movies about it (and we know how convoluted DBZ canon gets in regards to movies) - the Bardock movie, and Dragonball Minus. They'd already riled people up, but at least people could say "no, Minus isn't canon because of the Bardock movie" but now this turns that on its head.

And it's lame, because it changes Goku into a superman expy.

GasBandit

Staff member
... Goku was always a Superman expy? I mean, originally, he was a Monkey King expy, but then he became a Superman expy?

Remember; all that alien shit? Retcon from the original show.
To a a degree, but not to this degree. It's going from "taking some inspiration from" to "copy and paste the script and scratch out the names."

To a a degree, but not to this degree. It's going from "taking some inspiration from" to "copy and paste the script and scratch out the names."
Goku was literally a super strong, monkey tailed troublemaker born from an "egg" (his pod) found on a mountain top, found by an old man who taught him kung fu, before he went on an adventure with a wise person, a pig, and a river bandit, that taught him "wisdom". That is LITERALLY the plot of The Journey West. It is unabashedly a rip-off of that material, Toriyama admits as much, which is why the story drifted so much once they completed the "first journey". It became it's own thing, but it started as a comedic take on The Journey West before it morphed into... well, Dragonball Z.

I would also like to point out that Toriyama himself has a fondness for Superman. He even had a parody character of him in Dr. Slump: Suppaman. He's even shown up in Dragonball!

I guess my point here is that Toriyama's a laughable hack when he's not single-handedly defining genres (almost like the George Lucas of Anime). This isn't out of the norm for him and this change is EXACTLY the kind of shit he would do. It kind of makes me wish he took a less hands-on approach these days, like he did during GT.

GasBandit

Staff member
Goku was literally a super strong, monkey tailed troublemaker born from an "egg" (his pod) found on a mountain top, found by an old man who taught him kung fu, before he went on an adventure with a wise person, a pig, and a river bandit, that taught him "wisdom". That is LITERALLY the plot of The Journey West. It is unabashedly a rip-off of that material, Toriyama admits as much, which is why the story drifted so much once they completed the "first journey". It became it's own thing, but it started as a comedic take on The Journey West before it morphed into... well, Dragonball Z.

I would also like to point out that Toriyama himself has a fondness for Superman. He even had a parody character of him in Dr. Slump: Suppaman. He's even shown up in Dragonball!

I guess my point here is that Toriyama's a laughable hack when he's not single-handedly defining genres (almost like the George Lucas of Anime). This isn't out of the norm for him and this change is EXACTLY the kind of shit he would do. It kind of makes me wish he took a less hands-on approach these days, like he did during GT.
And just like Lucas, even his die-hard fans are disappointed with changes to established continuity. Han shot first and all that.

If you are staying current on Attack on Titan, make sure you watch through the end credits this week.

6 months until the next episode. *sigh*

The thing is, there were previously two directly contradictory DBZ movies about it (and we know how convoluted DBZ canon gets in regards to movies) - the Bardock movie, and Dragonball Minus. They'd already riled people up, but at least people could say "no, Minus isn't canon because of the Bardock movie" but now this turns that on its head.
Pretty sure none of the films where canon, but DBZ had that flashback when Raditz shows up that had Goku as a baby when he was found by Grampa Gohan.

Oh course, sine that was in the anime, it might not have been manga canon, i have no idea.

If you recognize this pose, you're gonna love SSSS.Gridman.
Wait, did they really keep the SSSS from the American show? Wow, I guess it did better over here than I thought.

I still have the transforming sword and shield somewhere around here...

EDIT: Reading up on it, yeah... the people involved enjoyed the Western release and have named elements in this show after stuff in the old 90's Western release. That's WILD.

GasBandit

Staff member
All this time I never got around to watching Urusei Yatsura. As much Ranma and Inuyasha as I watched, I thought it would be interesting to see one of Rumiko Takahashi's earlier works, and I know it's considered a real classic.

But oh man is it a mixed bag.

You can tell Takahashi's writing still had some maturation to do. All the characters are single-dimensional. I'm only about 6 episodes in, but given the works that came after this, I don't hold out much hope for things like character development or plot resolution - just an endless string of "Three's Company"-esque gag-a-day shenanigans. And so many characters are just completely unlikable. Especially the "main character," whose only defining characteristic is his haphazard, ineffective lecherousness. I know it's from the early days of Anime, but it's not like getting an audience to identify with your characters was invented in the 80s.

That's most of really what bugs me about it, I can forgive the over-the-top voice acting as being "of its time," and the almost "peanuts" quality artwork more suited to the funny pages than the TV, and I have to admit that at least once an episode I do get a chuckle. But the problems that were extant in Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha are all the more prevalent here - especially the repetition of gags.

Well, we'll see if it gets better, I guess... I didn't mean to go on about it at such length, but that's what's in my brain, and now in yours.

SSSS.Gridman

Oh god... the weird hotdog bread looks like that weird hotdog from the episode where Tanker lost control of his eating.

weirdhotdog.jpg

That's SUCH an obscure reference to the show. I think I'm going to love this series.

Yep I watched the 2 episodes of Goblin Slayer on CrunchyRoll. I need a backstory on him other than he's always been friends with pink-haired naked-sleeping chick.

GasBandit

Staff member
I, too, started watching Goblin Slayer last night. My first thought, as the newbie party got plowed under (in various definitions of the word): "Oh, this is gonna be THAT sort of anime, is it?"
Yep I watched the 2 episodes of Goblin Slayer on CrunchyRoll. I need a backstory on him other than he's always been friends with pink-haired naked-sleeping chick.
I think he was the survivor in that flashback tale he told as they burned the other nest.
Yeah, that flashback was to GS's childhood, which is why the camera angles were such that they avoided showing the little boy's face. When pink haired girl went to town with uncle-sama, goblins attacked, murdered the parents, raped and killed big sister, and GS-kun had to watch everything from his hiding place. Thus a lifelong vendetta was born.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aw neat! Vento Aureo is on Crunchyroll! More Jojo!
... aw hell. It's a simulcast, so yet another thing for me to have to wait a week between episodes >_< sigh

I, too, started watching Goblin Slayer last night. My first thought, as the newbie party got plowed under (in various definitions of the word): "Oh, this is gonna be THAT sort of anime, is it?"

Yeah, that flashback was to GS's childhood, which is why the camera angles were such that they avoided showing the little boy's face. When pink haired girl went to town with uncle-sama, goblins attacked, murdered the parents, raped and killed big sister, and GS-kun had to watch everything from his hiding place. Thus a lifelong vendetta was born.
Da fuq. Some how I missed all of this. Looks like I'm rewatching the episode.

Conception.

Justification for the eradication of the red panda. Fuck this show. Dropped, set on fire, shot, pissed on, then shot again.

Conception.

Justification for the eradication of the red panda. Fuck this show. Dropped, set on fire, shot, pissed on, then shot again.
IS this the one about the historically monstrous Japanese general who murdered thousands of Chinese by his own hand, who was reincarnated into a harem anime?

IS this the one about the historically monstrous Japanese general who murdered thousands of Chinese by his own hand, who was reincarnated into a harem anime?
No, this is based on a 2012 PSP game.

In other news, ImoImo has reached Maerchen Maedchen levels of bad art, and we're only at episode 2. And then there's the skeevy subject matter. We're past echhi, and on a collision course with hentai. And that is NOT a compliment.