[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Dubbing is a horror and should be banned; all people who prefer dubbing over subbing should have their internet access removed since reading is apparently too hard on them.

(obviously I exaggeratre for fun - though I do think subs are the better choice in 95% of cases - but I do say this as one who's been used to having mostly subs throughout his life).
get out, just go, whatever people like is fine, neither is better than the other, they both have their uses. I have been hearing this shit for 2 decades(god how long as gas been hearing this :p) its an unwinnable argument, there is no point to it, and IMHO it should not even be brought up beyond mentioning the quality of the actual product.
Are dub vocals recorded ensemble style, like they are usually done in Japan, or the standard alone in the booth like most western animation is done?
Generally single person recordings, This is when you see the ADR sessions the order of who records can make or break a dub as it is now common for later actors to work off actors who have already had their lines recorded. (strongest actors go first, weakest go last)
Monogatari needs dubs SO badly. The dialog is so verbose, and there's so much text on the screen that is literally there for a fraction of a second.

Dubs ftw.
yes god yes, but it will never happen because the logistics of the money spent to how much Aniplex could soak the home market for are horrifying.(PS its basically nothing as the show has no merchandising potential in NA, and Aniplex only does ultra-premium sets for home video selling maybe a few thousand sets at 100+ dollars a pop, and dubbing costs upwards of tens of thousands of dollars)

My Hero Academia was basically just a throwaway to convince people to watch the movie, I want my Hero License Exam back (even though I already cheated and read the manga plot to see what happens :p).

My Hero Academia was basically just a throwaway to convince people to watch the movie, I want my Hero License Exam back (even though I already cheated and read the manga plot to see what happens :p).
To be fair, they usually do at least one filler episode a season in case something happens and they need to drop an episode.

To be fair, they usually do at least one filler episode a season in case something happens and they need to drop an episode.
Sure, but this one was a very blatant and even flat out said "Go see the movie!" Also, I don't actually care, I expect to see some silliness out of this type of anime (and I bought movie tickets as soon as they went on sale yesterday so my daughter wouldn't kill us all ;) ), it was just a really weird place to put it, and probably would have fit better if it was in between the rounds.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tsukimonogatari

Genre - Supernatural, Horror, Drama, Comedy, Ecchi
Fanservice - I had to keep checking out the window to see if the FBI was about to break down my door.
Premise - Taking place after season 2 and before Hanamonogatari - the day before Valentine's Day, Araragi notices that all the times over the last year that he has had to resort to embracing his latent vampiric powers to solve problems with aberrations has started to take its toll on his body. Specifically, he is becoming more vampire-like - he no longer has a reflection, he has ever-increasing sensitivity to sunlight, and becomes stronger under the light of the moon. This is troubling to him, as he doesn't want to lose his humanity. With Oshino Meme still MIA, he has no choice but to seek help from an unlikely source, and his resolve to cling to his humanity is tested when those he care about are put in harm's way.

Weeelp, I guess it was too good to last. We're back in lolicon-ville again. Araragi's little sisters unceasingly parade around naked on camera for two straight episodes this time. I'm not exaggerating. And when a series is only 4 episodes long, that tells you a lot about how much plot there is to advance. Pretty much the entire first espisode is a gigantic perverted squandering of time because it takes Araragi 15 of the 23 minutes of the episode, in which he is, by the way, literally bathing with his youngest sister, to finally notice the kickoff to this series' problem (he sees her in the bathroom mirror, but not himself). That's how the whole series is, really - they take one episode's worth of content and stretch it into four using immense amounts of perverted timewasting. Really, I'm even a little more miffed at it this time than I was in Nisemonogatari because:

1) Doing so AGAIN shows they didn't learn their lesson
2) if anything it's even more unabashed
and
3) there wasn't even the slightest shred of plot advancement or character development. Very little, if anything, gets resolved. A new antagonist is introduced and eliminated with little to no bearing on other events in the overall plot, and the only real development is that now Araragi knows he needs to not be using vampire powers if he doesn't want to become a vampire for real. That's information that could have been a footnote mentioned offhandedly in the first 10 minutes of another series.

Overall, I'd call it a big waste of time. Unless you're into incestuous lolicon.

Finished Utena last night and had a lengthy discussion because there was a lot to unpack and I probably need to watch it again someday so I can pick up everything I missed now that I know what was really going on.

I was enthralled by it more often than horrified, but for such an often silly series it gets so, so dark.

We're going to watch the movie tonight as I guess it fleshes out some things in its retelling of the story.

Finished Utena last night and had a lengthy discussion because there was a lot to unpack and I probably need to watch it again someday so I can pick up everything I missed now that I know what was really going on.

I was enthralled by it more often than horrified, but for such an often silly series it gets so, so dark.

We're going to watch the movie tonight as I guess it fleshes out some things in its retelling of the story.
utena and its spiritual successor yuri kuma arashi are kind up their own asses with the symbolism. and you might ask how i knew the yka is from the same people, watch episode 1 when the mc CLIMBS STAIRS...my jaw dropped.

Natsume Yuujinchou
Fifteen year old Takashi Natsume has the power to see spirits like his grandmother, Reiko. His parents died, so he lives with a foster family (a distant cousin and his wife). His grandmother had a book, The Book of Friends, where she made the spirits she defeated write their names. This made the book powerful, so the spirits are after Takashi. With the help of Madara, a high level spirit that looks like Lucky Cat, Takashi sets about returning the names to their owners.
Like most slice-of-life, it can be both funny and more serious. I've only watched the first 4 episodes and feel like I could easily binge the rest of the first season. I really want to know more about Madara.

BUT THE CAR SCENE, HOW COULDNT YOU!?
That was the only part of the movie that felt like a coherent sequence! Maybe they should've started from there and grown the movie around it.

But even then, it felt like the creators going "Now we finally have money to burn, so let's start a bonfire."

That was the only part of the movie that felt like a coherent sequence! Maybe they should've started from there and grown the movie around it.

But even then, it felt like the creators going "Now we finally have money to burn, so let's start a bonfire."
Are you watching Starlight Revue this season? Strong Utena vibes going by the discussion around it.

I manage (barely) by not watching much outside of the current season. This one has been a struggle. There's a lot of really good stuff out there, but I've more than doubled my dropped list just from this season.
its why I only watch stuff that made it to home video dubbed, cuts my possible watch list to about 30 titles a year of which i pick about 12.

its why I only watch stuff that made it to home video dubbed, cuts my possible watch list to about 30 titles a year of which i pick about 12.
I have a lot of dead time at work, so there's plenty of time for seasonals. Makes the night go much faster.

GasBandit

Staff member
He actually had a quirk all along, just nobody acknowledged it.

That quirk was crying.

1535403362172.png

Seriously. Dude "cried" with enough force to drive himself into pavement up to the knees.

GasBandit

Staff member
I always wondered if his deep analytical abilities that make people complain about him nerding out were an actual ability.
That's a possibility. Also the girl who gets smarter when she drinks tea makes me wonder how many "quirkless" people there are out there with quirks that went undiscovered because they had a triggering mechanism that was never fulfilled. "Increases in size and strength when he eats elemental mercury," for example.

That's a possibility. Also the girl who gets smarter when she drinks tea makes me wonder how many "quirkless" people there are out there with quirks that went undiscovered because they had a triggering mechanism that was never fulfilled. "Increases in size and strength when he eats elemental mercury," for example.
You'd think someone with that power would get it from eating enough seafood, which in Japan is almost a given. But my best guess would be that something like that would have noticable required secondary powers... for example, Tsuyu doesn't just have frog POWERS, she'd have to have at least some frog anatomy to do things she can do or for things to affect her like they do. In this case, your gastrointestinal track would be noticably different... you'd probably even have an extra organ just for processesing the mercury in a way that it wouldn't kill you.

GasBandit

Staff member
You'd think someone with that power would get it from eating enough seafood, which in Japan is almost a given. But my best guess would be that something like that would have noticable required secondary powers... for example, Tsuyu doesn't just have frog POWERS, she'd have to have at least some frog anatomy to do things she can do or for things to affect her like they do. In this case, your gastrointestinal track would be noticably different... you'd probably even have an extra organ just for processesing the mercury in a way that it wouldn't kill you.
Well, I don't want to nitpick the canonical nerdsplanasia or anything, but you got where I was going. That was just an example I pulled out of thin air. Could have been anything. Hell, that other girl could turn into anyone whose blood she's eaten. That's not the only safe-to-eat bodily fluid. What if Deku's quirk ability is he could [THE REST OF THIS SENTENCE GOES INTO THE NSFW FORUM] and it just never manifested because obviously he never had the opportunity to trigger it, being a child?

Well, I don't want to nitpick the canonical nerdsplanasia or anything, but you got where I was going. That was just an example I pulled out of thin air. Could have been anything. Hell, that other girl could turn into anyone whose blood she's eaten. That's not the only safe-to-eat bodily fluid. What if Deku's quirk ability is he could [THE REST OF THIS SENTENCE GOES INTO THE NSFW FORUM] and it just never manifested because obviously he never had the opportunity to trigger it, being a child?
I think that one of the things a pediatrician does in this universe is check children for extraneous organs and such to try to determine their quirk. Which is why the doctor knew by age 5 that Midorya probably didn't have a quirk.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think that one of the things a pediatrician does in this universe is check children for extraneous organs and such to try to determine their quirk. Which is why the doctor knew by age 5 that Midorya probably didn't have a quirk.
And the doctor didn't notice his preternatural crying force! That guy's got to have tear ducts made of schedule-80 PVC!

Alternatively; is this why Nana Shimura was able to have children without passing on her power, while All Might is noticeably single and childless? It's almost like The Darkness, if you think about it too hard.

Alternatively; is this why Nana Shimura was able to have children without passing on her power, while All Might is noticeably single and childless? It's almost like The Darkness, if you think about it too hard.
They already said in an episode that you have to willingly pass on One for All, so I imagine she just didn't do that when she had her child. Whether on purpose, or just not thinking to do so, OR it's even possible that she didn't get the power until after she'd had a child. I'm not sure of the timeline, but I seem to recall she intentionally gave the child up to keep them out of her type of life.

GasBandit

Staff member
Overlord Season 3 ep 8

It's been a while, but we were overdue for another reminder that Ains Ooal Gown is not a nice person or a hero, and all his minions are bloodthirsty horrors. It's nice to see some payoff, even if it's just a little, after many episodes that felt like buildup - and of course, the whole little "town" arc building up the false sense of benevolence. There are no heroes - only evil and greater evils, and the petty hopes of good people are ground to dust.

I
JUST
WANT
TO
EAT

HOW
TA
STY
IT
IS

Overlord Season 3 ep 8

It's been a while, but we were overdue for another reminder that Ains Ooal Gown is not a nice person or a hero, and all his minions are bloodthirsty horrors. It's nice to see some payoff, even if it's just a little, after many episodes that felt like buildup - and of course, the whole little "town" arc building up the false sense of benevolence. There are no heroes - only evil and greater evils, and the petty hopes of good people are ground to dust.

I
JUST
WANT
TO
EAT

HOW
TA
STY
IT
IS
SPLAT is coming...