[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

fade

Staff member
I'm trying to watch Log Horizon, but I'm having trouble getting over the pedo level love interests. Both Shiroe and Nyanta. It's bad enough that Akatsuki is 24 but looks 10. You've also got an actual kid in love with him, and he never says hey, you're a kid, it ain't happening.

Yeah, yeah. I know this is an anime trope, but I'm finding it more and more bothersome lately. It's a scary thing to normalize.

You like old school anime from the 80s? The visual style of the characters and scenery? You want a mature story, a thriller with as few modern anime tropes as possible? But it has to be a current release (for what ever reason)? Than I have the anime for you to watch on Amazon Prime:

Banana Fish

Stop, wait don't go. I know the title make it sound like a stupid Nickelodeon show but trust me it's definitive one of the best shows this season.
I watched the first three episodes and I'm hooked. It's the story of 17th years old New York gang leader Ash Lynx who's also doing odd jobs for the mafia. One night he comes across a dying man who gives him some powder and some last words: "Banana Fish. Meet him". Banana Fish was also something Ash's brother said after killed men of his platoon in Iraq. Now he tries to find out who or what Banana Fish is and why his brother went crazy. He get's help from the second main character, 19th years old japanese photographer Eiji Okumura, originally in New York for a report of New York gang life, who becomes fascinated with the charismatic Ash.

The first episode was good but felt a little rushed, jumping from scene to scene introducing new characters. Maybe making two episodes of the story from episode one might have been better. That aside, it's a good show and I recommend it.

But be warned: the show contains themes of sexual violence against minors. Nothing explicit is shown but mentioned and in episode three one character has a not so nice encounter with three guys.

I should probably also mention that it's a adaption of a shojo crime manga from the 80s. So the possibility that Ash and Eiji have sex before the end of the 24 episode long show is really high.

GasBandit

Staff member
You like old school anime from the 80s? The visual style of the characters and scenery? You want a mature story, a thriller with as few modern anime tropes as possible? But it has to be a current release (for what ever reason)? Than I have the anime for you to watch on Amazon Prime:

Banana Fish

Stop, wait don't go. I know the title make it sound like a stupid Nickelodeon show but trust me it's definitive one of the best shows this season.
I watched the first three episodes and I'm hooked. It's the story of 17th years old New York gang leader Ash Lynx who's also doing odd jobs for the mafia. One night he comes across a dying man who gives him some powder and some last words: "Banana Fish. Meet him". Banana Fish was also something Ash's brother said after killed men of his platoon in Iraq. Now he tries to find out who or what Banana Fish is and why his brother went crazy. He get's help from the second main character, 19th years old japanese photographer Eiji Okumura, originally in New York for a report of New York gang life, who becomes fascinated with the charismatic Ash.

The first episode was good but felt a little rushed, jumping from scene to scene introducing new characters. Maybe making two episodes of the story from episode one might have been better. That aside, it's a good show and I recommend it.

But be warned: the show contains themes of sexual violence against minors. Nothing explicit is shown but mentioned and in episode three one character has a not so nice encounter with three guys.

I should probably also mention that it's a adaption of a shojo crime manga from the 80s. So the possibility that Ash and Eiji have sex before the end of the 24 episode long show is really high.
Hrm, I'll keep it in mind when the series actually finishes... I can't take another one-ep-a-week drip feed right now. It's bad enough that I'm actually starting to lose interest in Overlord >_<

I'm trying to watch Log Horizon, but I'm having trouble getting over the pedo level love interests. Both Shiroe and Nyanta. It's bad enough that Akatsuki is 24 but looks 10. You've also got an actual kid in love with him, and he never says hey, you're a kid, it ain't happening.

Yeah, yeah. I know this is an anime trope, but I'm finding it more and more bothersome lately. It's a scary thing to normalize.
It's been a while since i saw it, but, if i recall right, you've been on the internet too much, the anime just treats it as a schoolgirl crush, which is not something the character/s needs to address. Frankly, i think it would make it actually weird if they did, just as it would be if a 24 year old went around telling 10 years olds with a crush that "it ain't happening".

The main love interest looking 10 when she's 20 is worse in that regard (although it makes sense since she was male before to avoid the whole treatment of women by the male players etc.).

I watched Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I. Aussie warned me that it wasn't a "nice" anime. I scoffed. I've watched plenty of not nice anime. I mean, I loved Black Lagoon! Right? No. I'm still slightly nauseated. After he told me about Arc II's plot points, I think I'll skip it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Stein's Gate Zero

Aaagghh I had no idea this series is still ongoing! I thought it was completed! NOW I HAVE TO BE TORMENTED BY ONE MORE WEEKLY SHOW!

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait... how come all those times Aizawa used quirk cancelling on the whole class, the invisible girl didn't suddenly become a regular (naked) girl?

Maybe the invisiblity is a fixed mutation then, since I don't think she's ever turned it off.
It probably is; there are a couple ways someone could be functionally invisible, but we constantly see her wearing clothes and such while her flesh is still invisible. So it's her BODY that is invisible, not some other phenona simply making it so others can't see her. That sounds like a fixed mutation.

Technically speaking, I believe her body has light refracting properties.

It probably is; there are a couple ways someone could be functionally invisible, but we constantly see her wearing clothes and such while her flesh is still invisible. So it's her BODY that is invisible, not some other phenona simply making it so others can't see her. That sounds like a fixed mutation.

This, his powers don't work on quirks based on mutations. During that rescure simulation a bunch of villains with body-quirks tried to take him on on the premise that their powers wouldn't be turned off, BUT-its Aizawa so OWNED!

GasBandit

Staff member
Masamune-kun's Revenge

Genre: Romance, Comedy, High school
Fanservice: Little
Premise: A fat kid gets treated cruelly by the girl he likes, and moves away to spend the next 8 years working unceasingly to resculpt his body into teenage perfection, then he changes his name and moves back home - bent on getting revenge on her by making her fall in love with him, then spurning her. Hilarity ensues.

I was rather dubious of the concept, but I'm glad I gave it a chance, this was actually pretty enjoyable. The main beats of the A-plot are telegraphed pretty obviously, but there are nice little surprise twists and character development along the way, and good supporting characters. It's a pity there's no word on season 2 yet, as the plot is still ongoing by the end of the first season. But if and when there is a season 2, I do look forward to seeing it.

Last edited:
Masamune-kun's Revenge

Genre: Romance, Comedy, High school
Fanservice: Little
Premise: A fat kid gets treated cruelly by the girl he likes, and moves away to spend the next 8 years working unceasingly to resculpt his body into teenage perfection, then he changes his name and moves back home - bent on getting revenge on her by making her fall in love with him, then spurning her. Hilarity ensues.
This sounds like INCEL FANTASY: THE ANIME! What a shitty concept. I'm glad it's apparently decent though.

This is correct. Her invisibility is not her quirk, as confirmed by Horikoshi himself. Today's anime episode showed what Hagakure can do.

GasBandit

Staff member
This sounds like INCEL FANTASY: THE ANIME! What a shitty concept. I'm glad it's apparently decent though.
Well, in his defense, he came up with this plan when he was 6 years old.

And it definitely does not go according to plan.
Also, I should have pointed out that the girl, in this case, is actually a pretty rotten kid. This wasn't a case of Protag-kun forcing unwanted attentions on a victim, she straight up tormented him, up to and including siccing attack dogs on him in a not-played-for-laughs way. And that was before he tried to confess his cute childhood crush. When he did that, she straight up told him he was worthless and pathetic and she'd never even consider being with him.

So, at that point, he leaves and doesn't ever go near her again for the next 8 years, until 2nd year of high school. "Leaving someone alone once they tell you they're not interested" is kinda... what you're supposed to do, right?

Plot spoilers follow
It turns out that all Aki's terrible treatment of him was because she, too, had a crush on him - and like a little boy pulling pigtails on the playground, just didn't know how to express it properly. And when he disappeared it broke her heart to such a degree that she vowed to hate all men forever, because he "abandoned" her (never mind that she practically, literally, drove him away).

Meanwhile, when Masamune returns in HS year 2, he literally could have his pick of any other girl at school. There's even another girl who, for all appearances, genuinely adores him and knows/remembers him from when he was fat and ugly... an "incel" at this point would probably just forget about Aki and go for the low hanging fruit. But he doesn't. Despite her absolutely and unreservedly throwing herself at him, attempting to seduce him while alone in her apartment, he resists - turning her down and leaving. Partially because getting involved with her would torpedo his revenge plans, but even moreso because he came to realize her feelings for him were an affectation - she had health problems that would require risky surgery, and she wanted to "experience love" before she risked losing her life. Masamune realizes her feelings aren't genuine, and literally turns down free-no-strings-attached sex because he doesn't want that with someone who doesn't have real feelings for him.
Also, like I said, the main story beats are telegraphed clear as day - Masamune and Aki are, despite hating each other, slowly starting to fall in love "for real" without realizing it, and Masamune will be unable to follow through with his revenge. Doubtless. But the twisted path of getting there is worth watching.

Decided I need to watch S2 of Attack on Titan since S3 is out. There are a lot of titans out there.

I also finished Yuri!!!On Ice. It was cute. Yay friends! Yay love! Yay believing in yourself! JJ is annoying as fuck. YAY! DAVAI!

GasBandit

Staff member
I started watching Bakemonogatari last night, only 2 episodes in, but so far I'm liking what I'm seeing. I just wish it was localized. It's very dialog heavy, and its aesthetic involves flashing a whole lot of words on the screen with only fractions of a second to see them, and subtitles just don't cut it.

(..) its aesthetic involves flashing a whole lot of words on the screen with only fractions of a second to see them, and subtitles just don't cut it.
Yeah, that's unfortunately a SHAFT staple. If you want to see worse, check out Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (a favorite of mine). I forget the name of the group that made the best subtitles since I'm not near that hard drive, but they did a damn good job considering the challenge it was.

I watched two things completely this weekend, and started a third. Sakura Wars TV, which was more boring than bad, just kind of bland. Then I watched High School DXD: BoRN, which was fucking tits except for the last two episodes where it just kind of went off the god damn rails, and finally I started Grimiore of Zero which only being two episodes in seems good so far.