[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Citrus. All aboard the yuri hype train!

May be in @GasBandit's wheelhouse.

ETA: so many plot contrivances pulled out of their ass to bring the girls together. Mom already remarried, but MC has yet to meet her new dad? The news that new dad also had a teenage daughter only now comes up? Teh stupid, it burns.

Last edited:
A few first impressions of the new season.

Pop Team Epic. Shitpost - the Anime.

Toji no Miko. Aiding and abetting high treason for the lulz.

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san. Yuri noodle pr0n.

Yuru Camp. Camping lolis. Comfy levels at full.

Slow Start. One of these lolis is not like the others. She's... GASP! A year older!!

Mitsuboshi Colors. Lolis with a (fake) rocket launcher.

Gakuen Babysitters. Pure diabeetus.

Kokkoku. Don't fuck with stopping time. It will fuck you back. And not in a nice way.

Pop Team Epic and Toji no Miko are the most likely to be dropped first. Pop Team Epic just makes no sense, and...
Helping a would-be assassin escape because "we haven't fought yet," is just plain stupid, even for a 13-year old girl.

Ryuuou no Oshigoto! premiered after the original post. Lolis playing shogi. This was a fun one through and through, and since I know jack about shogi, maybe I'll learn something. Might be my favorite of the whole list so far.

Last edited:
So glad that Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san has become an anime. Weekly dose of diabetes here we come.
I need to keep a supply of insulin at work from now on if I keep watching this.
There's a spin-off manga with their daughter, so in a way he got the win of all wins in the end.

fade

Staff member
Whoa. Steins;Gate is awesome! This feels less like an anime and more like an American indie sci-fi. It's great. It's like if you added some comedic elements into Primer with a dash of Conspiracy Theory and some genuinely sad tragic moments. Highly recommended.

GasBandit

Staff member
Re-watching The Big O for the 900th time.

Everybody makes comparisons between this and Batman, for obvious reasons, but I have nits to pick with the conventional wisdom of who is an expy of whom.

For example, people have started saying that R.Dorothy is Oracle, when it's clear to me that she is Robin and Big Ear is Oracle.

Everybody likes to say Alan Gabriel is Joker because he's got makeup and laughs and kills people, but I think they split Joker up - the contemporary "homicidal maniac" Joker got mixed in with a healthy amount of Victor Zsasz to make Alan Gabriel, but the old school "Clown Prince of Crime" got mixed in with a fair amount of Riddler to make Jason Beck.

Also, people break serieses and compare Alex Rosewater to Lex Luthor, but there's a perfectly good comparison to be made without invading Superman's rogue's gallery - Alex is the Penguin. He's got a business as a front (Paradigm/Iceberg Lounge) that is arguably legit, and while he might seem threatening on the surface, he ultimately doesn't have what it takes to run with the big boys.

And finally, everybody immediately calls Schwartzwald "Two-Face" because he's burned and disfigured, but I think this is another case where a villain got split into two characters - Ra'as Al Ghul got split in two, the first half mixed with Two Face to make Schwartzwald (Because Schwartzwald knows the ultimate truth behind the reality of Paradigm City, and his efforts to make the truth known make him seem mad) - and even a touch of scarecrow (because fear is a central theme in his motivations - he wants to inflict fear upon the people so they are forced to confront the truth), and the other half got mixed with... wait for it... Joe Chill. To make Gordon Rosewater. The man who (apparently) started it all, and made Roger Smith/Bruce Wayne the man and hero he came to be, and through his actions turned him into Batman/The Dominuus of Big O.

Nobody ever mentions Red Destiny in these conversations, which I can kind of understand as "R.D." was one of the most haphazard and confusing episodes of the series, since they were trying to move from episodic to arc storytelling and had to compress probably 3 episodes worth of information into one. But it seems apparent to me that Red Destiny is Red Hood/Jason Todd. Robin's/Dorothy's dark echo that embraces lethal force.

There's also a single one-off episode (Daemonseed, the Christmas ep) where the villain gives off serious Poison Ivy vibes, but his design is so unremarkable and his actual screentime so brief it's barely worth even mentioning.

I'm having trouble figuring out how the Union fits in though. Carmine Falcone and the Crime Syndicate? Intergang? It's a stretch. Maybe at this point, they were done copying Batman and were starting to think for themselves.

And just for completeness' sake, the accepted parallels that nobody argues with are:
Roger Smith - Bruce Wayne
Big O - Batman
Norman Burg - Alfred Pennyworth
Major Dastun - Commissioner Gordon
Angel - Catwoman (though I'd also argue there's a teensy bit of Talia Al Ghul in there too)

The Big O villains that I can't place with a Batman character:
Eugene (the geneticist making animal chimeras from humans) - Hugo Strange maybe?
Dastun's unnamed Sybil-Rowan-Lookalike Union Assassin - Talia Al Ghul?
The Electric City Eel Megadeus - Electrocutioner? Too obscure?
The Archetype Megadeus - connected to Schwartzwald, might not have a parallel.
Bonnie Frasier/Osrail the Ghost Megadeus - Gentleman Ghost?
Instro/Constance - Music Meister?
Dagon the Sea Titan Megadeus - Ocean Master?
The 3 Foreign Megadeuses/Bonaparte - No idea.
Glinda (halo-ringed agile sword-wielding Megadeus)- No idea.
Leviathan - connected to Schwartzwald, might not have a parallel.
Beck the Great RX3 - Voltron :rofl: Not exactly a Batman villain!
R.Frederick O'Reilly - Detective Chimp?
Android Crusher/Construction Robot - Haven't the foggiest.
The Hydra Eel - ????
Vera Ronstadt (Agent 12) - ????
Behemoth - ????

And the other Bigs themselves...
Big Duo - Superman? Batman's flying counterpart?
Big Duo Inferno - Unknown, Darkseid didn't brainwash Superman in JL until after Big O's run.
Big Fau - Aquaman? Batman's undersea counterpart?
Big Venus - Boy, oh boy, uh... Brainiac? Darkseid? Mxyzptlk?! Some other entity that can rewrite reality on a whim?

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Liking for the painkillers comment. Don’t use ‘em “just because.” Save ‘em for when you really need them.

—Patrick
Also, all my previous experiences with prescription painkillers has made me gun-shy about using them. Oxycodone knocks me out. Morphine makes my blood pressure crash (apparently). I'm not looking to find out what this Vicodin will do, when the only other living thing in the house is the cat (who I am reasonably sure won't dial 911 if I collapse).

Yo, @GasBandit, are you checking out any of the new season yet? I feel like I'm the only one who's jumped in with both feet for Winter.

Also, Toji no Miko gave our heroine a better excuse for aiding the would-be assassin's escape in ep 2. Still a bit of an ass-pull.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens - in a world where 1 in 33 people in town is a hitman. Plus a hitman targeting other hitmen.

Darling in the FranXX - Mechas with boobies. Boobies that grow a cup size when the boy/girl pair piloting the thing are properly in sync. :unibrow:

Takunomi. - Cute Women Doing Drunk Things. Basically a 12-minute ad for the alcohol of the week.

Dagashi Kashi 2 -The Hotaru/Saya best girl war returns at half its former length. Still mainly a penny candy commercial.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yo, @GasBandit, are you checking out any of the new season yet?
I prefer t-
Gas only watches dubs, so how many are dubbed already?
-o watch dubs... Yeah, what she said.

I mean, I do occasionally watch subs, like I did for Log Horizon, because it's still ongoing, but as worn out as I am these days, I don't have the energy to read subs. So I've fallen back into dub-only mode.

I mean, last night I got home, and barely made it through one 20 minute episode of Big O before falling asleep.

This one just makes my brain hurt. Magical Girl Ore:
This story is about a 15-year-old girl who is a newbie idol in love with her best friend's brother who is also a popular idol. But she runs into a scary yakuza guy and finds out that her mother was an ex-magical girl, and the yakuza guy was her mascot. Her love interest gets kidnapped by demons that look like burly men with cute squirrel heads. So she contracts the yakuza to become a magical girl, which in this story means she turns into a handsome guy in a magical girl outfit. On top of that, her love interest shows an attraction toward her magical guy form. Her best friend turns out to be in love with her and also becomes a magical cross-dressing guy to save her life.

Thus, their manager, who is a magical girl geek, then decides to turn them into an idol unit.

Coming Spring 2018. You have been warned.

fade

Staff member
Re-watching The Big O for the 900th time.

Everybody makes comparisons between this and Batman, for obvious reasons, but I have nits to pick with the conventional wisdom of who is an expy of whom.

For example, people have started saying that R.Dorothy is Oracle, when it's clear to me that she is Robin and Big Ear is Oracle.

Everybody likes to say Alan Gabriel is Joker because he's got makeup and laughs and kills people, but I think they split Joker up - the contemporary "homicidal maniac" Joker got mixed in with a healthy amount of Victor Zsasz to make Alan Gabriel, but the old school "Clown Prince of Crime" got mixed in with a fair amount of Riddler to make Jason Beck.

Also, people break serieses and compare Alex Rosewater to Lex Luthor, but there's a perfectly good comparison to be made without invading Superman's rogue's gallery - Alex is the Penguin. He's got a business as a front (Paradigm/Iceberg Lounge) that is arguably legit, and while he might seem threatening on the surface, he ultimately doesn't have what it takes to run with the big boys.

And finally, everybody immediately calls Schwartzwald "Two-Face" because he's burned and disfigured, but I think this is another case where a villain got split into two characters - Ra'as Al Ghul got split in two, the first half mixed with Two Face to make Schwartzwald (Because Schwartzwald knows the ultimate truth behind the reality of Paradigm City, and his efforts to make the truth known make him seem mad) - and even a touch of scarecrow (because fear is a central theme in his motivations - he wants to inflict fear upon the people so they are forced to confront the truth), and the other half got mixed with... wait for it... Joe Chill. To make Gordon Rosewater. The man who (apparently) started it all, and made Roger Smith/Bruce Wayne the man and hero he came to be, and through his actions turned him into Batman/The Dominuus of Big O.

Nobody ever mentions Red Destiny in these conversations, which I can kind of understand as "R.D." was one of the most haphazard and confusing episodes of the series, since they were trying to move from episodic to arc storytelling and had to compress probably 3 episodes worth of information into one. But it seems apparent to me that Red Destiny is Red Hood/Jason Todd. Robin's/Dorothy's dark echo that embraces lethal force.

There's also a single one-off episode (Daemonseed, the Christmas ep) where the villain gives off serious Poison Ivy vibes, but his design is so unremarkable and his actual screentime so brief it's barely worth even mentioning.

I'm having trouble figuring out how the Union fits in though. Carmine Falcone and the Crime Syndicate? Intergang? It's a stretch. Maybe at this point, they were done copying Batman and were starting to think for themselves.

And just for completeness' sake, the accepted parallels that nobody argues with are:
Roger Smith - Bruce Wayne
Big O - Batman
Norman Burg - Alfred Pennyworth
Major Dastun - Commissioner Gordon
Angel - Catwoman (though I'd also argue there's a teensy bit of Talia Al Ghul in there too)

The Big O villains that I can't place with a Batman character:
Eugene (the geneticist making animal chimeras from humans) - Hugo Strange maybe?
Dastun's unnamed Sybil-Rowan-Lookalike Union Assassin - Talia Al Ghul?
The Electric City Eel Megadeus - Electrocutioner? Too obscure?
The Archetype Megadeus - connected to Schwartzwald, might not have a parallel.
Bonnie Frasier/Osrail the Ghost Megadeus - Gentleman Ghost?
Instro/Constance - Music Meister?
Dagon the Sea Titan Megadeus - Ocean Master?
The 3 Foreign Megadeuses/Bonaparte - No idea.
Glinda (halo-ringed agile sword-wielding Megadeus)- No idea.
Leviathan - connected to Schwartzwald, might not have a parallel.
Beck the Great RX3 - Voltron :rofl: Not exactly a Batman villain!
R.Frederick O'Reilly - Detective Chimp?
Android Crusher/Construction Robot - Haven't the foggiest.
The Hydra Eel - ????
Vera Ronstadt (Agent 12) - ????
Behemoth - ????

And the other Bigs themselves...
Big Duo - Superman? Batman's flying counterpart?
Big Duo Inferno - Unknown, Darkseid didn't brainwash Superman in JL until after Big O's run.
Big Fau - Aquaman? Batman's undersea counterpart?
Big Venus - Boy, oh boy, uh... Brainiac? Darkseid? Mxyzptlk?! Some other entity that can rewrite reality on a whim?
If they used TAS as the inspiration, Eugene could be Dr. Emile Dorian, or if not maybe Langstrom (Man-Bat).