[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Huh. They're gonna do Diamond is Forever and not Stardust Crusaders?
If it's Toho that's making it and it's a more Japanese-specific production, then I can understand going with Diamond is Unbreakable. It's a more centralized location and with a more Japanese cast. Doing Stardust Crusaders would probably be pretty costly what with the world traveling, along with requiring more to trim and edit.

Now, if it were a more Western production, then I think Phantom Blood would have been a good choice to adapt.

GasBandit

Staff member
If it's Toho that's making it and it's a more Japanese-specific production, then I can understand going with Diamond is Unbreakable. It's a more centralized location and with a more Japanese cast. Doing Stardust Crusaders would probably be pretty costly what with the world traveling, along with requiring more to trim and edit.

Now, if it were a more Western production, then I think Phantom Blood would have been a good choice to adapt.
Yeah, if it wasn't going to be Stardust Crusaders, I would have expected Phantom Blood, TBH, since it's the first part and sets the stage for the later ones.

Yeah, if it wasn't going to be Stardust Crusaders, I would have expected Phantom Blood, TBH, since it's the first part and sets the stage for the later ones.
Definitely. It sets the stage for the others and, frankly, is probably a bit more accessible than some of the shenanigans down the line.

Also, you don't have to deal with the rights issues regarding names really in that portion.

Plus its a bad-ass kung-fu vampire story, that's SUPER easy to adapt! SUNSHINE SUNLIGHT YELLOW OVERDRIVE!

EDIT: Manga scanlation I read said sunshine....yeeeeeeeeeeears ago.

On the side of good, I saw like half of "Cyber City", classic 90s OVA. Are there still OVAs? I miss them, almost as much as I miss how Japanese animation looked before computers ruined everything.

Dio's kind of a puppy kicking jerk.
You have NO idea...or you do, and just stating the obvious.

Really this is one HELL of a dub, its a little weird 12 year old Dio sounding like that at first but...holy shit is that the perfect English voice. The ambition, the malice, the refinement, ALL there!

Also this is the first time I've seen the new show all the way through....for some reason, and it is WAY worth the 30 years for its arrival. Its not some run of the mill show based on a popular manga, its an artful interpretation of a source material that makes it simultaneously its own thing while also being accurate to the source material.

Dragon Ball Super

FUCKING DUB THIS ALL READY! ITS BEEN A DAMN YEAR! Maijin Buu's original voice is creepy, I don't think I'm alone on that.
It will almost certainly get dubbed for Adult Swim... I don't see how it can't, with the success of DBZ Kai on the block. Unless they plan to show the Buu Saga from the original series first.

Can't wait for it...also King Kai's original VA...not the best. Is he even CAPABLE of emoting?! It's like he looks frantic as all hell, but he always sounds so chill.

I'd also like to say that while its...weird that Goku sounds a LOT like Doraemon, Masako still has a DAMN good voice range and I'm glad we still have her.

Last edited:
They should have replaced Goku/Gohan/etc's VA. I know she's a big deal but at her age she sounds awful.

I'd also say the same for King Kai's VA. Dude sounds like he's on his deathbed.

Wish I could give a half bro-fist, as I think there's a somewhat good transformation from Goku to Goten.

And holy shit, King Kai's VA is even OLDER than Goku's! Kinda...explains his take in his first ep of Super, it sounds a LITTLE better in the later eps I'm watching but...yeah he old. The dude is no Alan Young that's for sure.

Okay holy shit seriously, Toei needs to let King Kai's dude retire because he seems almost INCAPABLE of raising his voice in anger, and when the character is clearly trying to yell really loud and he sounds like some chill as fuck old man, its REALLY confusing. Talking normal, sure he's okay, but the dude can't yell.

GasBandit

Staff member
The 22 best Anime theme songs ever, according to daily dot.

There are a few I think should have been on there (like Rise by Origa for GITS:SAC instead of the GITS movie theme), but otherwise, it hit most of the ones you'd expect to be on such a list. Gratifyingly, the Pokemon theme is NOT there.

I like how they just grabbed the first FLCL OP video they found, because it's not even the song they're talking about. Ride on Shooting Star was used for the ED, because I don't think FLCL actually had an OP.

I call bull. They didn't include "Moonlight Densetsu", possibily one of the most famous. It's been my ringtone for a while, and every once in a while you will see a random adult, usually women close to my age, look up if my phone rings.

I've seen...4, maybe 5 of those.
As I got closer to the end, I was gonna be mad since I hadn't come across "Tank!" yet.
As it is, I'm kinda disappointed "Obsession" (.hack//Sign) wasn't on that list.

--Patrick

just watched dragonar academy, while i loved the storyline, the random tentacle groping of the females was just "weird".

Haven't really watched anything this season. Hibike Euphonium, while gorgeous as always with KyoAni works, is a bit boring, and nothing else really grabbed my attention.