[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

fade

Staff member
Does Krillin get any better in the new stuff? I always secretly rooted for him. He's probably the strongest pure human, and he was knocking down trees with his bare hands before meeting Roshi. Then again, he was butt-monkeyed shortly after that. He got the mild redemption in taking out the Saibamen and then again with Frieza's tail. But then pure butt-monkey.

Sadly if you're not at least part-Saiyan you only get to swing in the minor leagues and/or die in a big fight. Krillin, Tien and Yamcha all end up being fodder more than anything else.

Sadly if you're not at least part-Saiyan you only get to swing in the minor leagues and/or die in a big fight. Krillin, Tien and Yamcha all end up being fodder more than anything else.
Tien basically leaves the cast when Vegeta becomes part of the main posse, essentially because Vegeta is COMPLETELY unapologetic for killing Chao-tsu (sp) back when he came to Earth. So those two basically spent the entire series off training in the woods at that point and Tien only shows up to fight of Cell at one point (and does a decent job too, all things considered).

Tien basically leaves the cast when Vegeta becomes part of the main posse, essentially because Vegeta is COMPLETELY unapologetic for killing Chao-tsu (sp) back when he came to Earth. So those two basically spent the entire series off training in the woods at that point and Tien only shows up to fight of Cell at one point (and does a decent job too, all things considered).
Yeah I was just summing up the humans (I think Tien is still considered one?) in terms of what they do. Basically if you're not Goku you're there to stall until he's ready to fight.

Initial D

My bud showed me the first two eps, LOVE IT! ONE: Enjoyable characters. TWO: Early Nineties CGI. THREE: While good, still riffable which I am doing after I'm done. FOUR: The fact that the main character CLEARLY has autism, and I can somewhat relate to him!

(and does a decent job too, all things considered).
I kind of zoned out after the frieza saga (weird scheduling didn't help either), so i don't recall that fight, but watching it on youtube.. heh, remmber when that move would straight up kill him? And now he's spamming it and its just pushing Cell back...

Which reminds me, how come no one tries to use/learn the old "seal the evil in a can" technique... i mean Picollo jr. learning to counter it doesn't mean anyone else can...

Which reminds me, how come no one tries to use/learn the old "seal the evil in a can" technique... i mean Picollo jr. learning to counter it doesn't mean anyone else can...
Because it usually kills you when you do it and it really doesn't solve the problem. Also, because it's ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

Because it usually kills you when you do it
Unless you're kami in someone else's body, and everyone was more powerful then that at the start of Z...

And i was bringing it up because Tien's Tribeam also used to kill you at full power... but they got over it...

Because it usually kills you when you do it and it really doesn't solve the problem. Also, because it's ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.
Agreed, the whole "Sealing of ancient evil" thing almost never works. Just kill the damn thing, and don't pawn it off to the next generation you inconsiderate wizards!

GasBandit

Staff member
Agreed, the whole "Sealing of ancient evil" thing almost never works. Just kill the damn thing, and don't pawn it off to the next generation you inconsiderate wizards!
It worked in...

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

HPMoR's Voldemort was smart... he got one of his horcruxes on board the Voyager probe before it was launched, and sent another to the bottom of the atlantic ocean. There was no killing him. So Harry ended up knocking him unconscious, obliviating him, then transfiguring him into the gem in a ring, and then to make sure there'd be someone to fight him if he ever got out or if Harry died and the sustained transfiguration reverted... he made Voldemort a horcrux of Hermione Granger. And didn't tell her.

Pretty sure it's over ;)
Word-of-God in Facebook, in the /r/HPMOR subreddit, and in the Author Notes says that an epilogue will happen. Current timeline is anytime between Christmas/New-Years of 2015 (as a present) and an indeterminate point in the future.

(Here is one of the various mentions, from AN#122 http://hpmor.com/notes/122/)
I do intend to someday rewrite and post the epilogue, though not until I’ve given readers a chance to write their own continuations first. If so, I will post the epilogue as a separate story; what has been written so far is complete as it stands.

GasBandit

Staff member
Word-of-God in Facebook, in the /r/HPMOR subreddit, and in the Author Notes says that an epilogue will happen. Current timeline is anytime between Christmas/New-Years of 2015 (as a present) and an indeterminate point in the future.

(Here is one of the various mentions, from AN#122 http://hpmor.com/notes/122/)
Hrm, well that will be interesting to read when it happens then, I suppose.

fade

Staff member
If Netflix or Hulu show an anime that got cancelled halfway through, they should be required to put a warning label on it. It's like blue ball for TV.

If Netflix or Hulu show an anime that got cancelled halfway through, they should be required to put a warning label on it. It's like blue ball for TV.
Unfortunately a lot of shows now are just a season-long advertisement for the Light Novels/manga they're based on, unless DVD/BluRay sales are super-high. Deadman Wonderland (this one kind of sucked anyway) and Legend of Legendary Heroes (dumb name, but great show that is unfortunately no longer streaming) are pretty notorious for this.

Unfortunately a lot of shows now are just a season-long advertisement for the Light Novels/manga they're based on, unless DVD/BluRay sales are super-high. Deadman Wonderland (this one kind of sucked anyway) and Legend of Legendary Heroes (dumb name, but great show that is unfortunately no longer streaming) are pretty notorious for this.
I think that's a bit disingenuous. Companies use mega hit shows to finance smaller, risker titles and you can't do narrow appeal shows like Deadman Wonderland (which did not suck) unless they ether become break away hits (like Attack on Titan did) or you have another show to pick up the slack. The company producing Deadman had neither happen so it was dumped. You want a REAL tragic example of this happening? Look at The Big O. After the failure of IGPX to strike it with the Japanese audiences, The Big O was canned for bad DVD sales and that show ended on a cliffhanger (that oddly works as an ending, considering the source material).

I think that's a bit disingenuous. Companies use mega hit shows to finance smaller, risker titles and you can't do narrow appeal shows like Deadman Wonderland (which did not suck) unless they ether become break away hits (like Attack on Titan did) or you have another show to pick up the slack. The company producing Deadman had neither happen so it was dumped. You want a REAL tragic example of this happening? Look at The Big O. After the failure of IGPX to strike it with the Japanese audiences, The Big O was canned for bad DVD sales and that show ended on a cliffhanger (that oddly works as an ending, considering the source material).
all of us who were there for it would kill for that elusive season 3.

on a unrelated sidenote all my anime watching friends are to busy to hangout and its the busy season at work which means I am working like 50 hours a week meaning my to watch pile has grown looming and large.

DW's studio, Manglobe, had multiple seasons of big-selling shows, mostly thanks to World God Only Knows (2010, 2011 which the same year as DW, and 2013). They also had a Hayate the Combat Butler movie that same year. They've had multiple successful shows, but DW wasn't one of them. Also I think DW ended on a cliffhanger of sorts, didn't it?

The MC stays in the prison instead of escaping, and realizes Shiro's singing a song he heard when his class was massacred, which would out her as the real killer.

And yeah, I was mostly joking in calling them advertisements, but it's not totally out of the ordinary for cartoons in general.

Yes, she has outed herself as the real killer at that point (though it's also clear she doesn't know she did it ether, implying she's not at the wheel when the other guy is running around). And yes, he doesn't escape because it was all a trap to begin with and escaping would have just got him killed (if I remember correctly).

As for advertisements... well, yeah. A lot of younger aimed anime are glorified toy commercials... for instance, the Marvel show with the Avengers trapped in tops or Gundam Build Fighters. This doesn't mean that these shows are BAD... fuck, Super Sentai has been on the air 40 years and is consistently fun and they make SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY off their toys.

Well I wasn't calling it bad for feeling like a commercial, I just didn't particularly care for it once I'd finished it.

Anyway yeah, the point in the end is it always sucks when a show you like doesn't get another season and you have to hope the manga and/or LN has been translated by someone.

You have no idea how much of my disbelief I suspend for Sword Art Online, how the fuck is Kirito NOT famous enough for people to ask him if he's THAT Kirito? And for that matter, WHY is he using that famous user name when he is supposed to be UNDER COVER?! And why does he have to ask people how the game works, games have manuals dammit! Or is my fear of the future justified where game manuals not only cease to be paper, but also cease to exist? Probably that, and if so I believe it. Either way that "It's a standard touch base interface, think you can handle it?" line felt unnecessary, I think Kirito is old enough to operate a bank machine thank you very much. Also, that slap scene was just PAINFUL to watch and easily avoidable. And yet....I still love this show. I take each each new season will have some...CRINGE inducing moments, but none is all bad and it will be mostly good. Still won't beat the original story though.

Necronic

Staff member
So I just stumbled across a youtube called "Top 10 Anime Characters getting Eaten Scenes (uncensored)", and I want to watch damn near everyone of these. I think I've found the kind of anime I like...and it...well it bothers me a bit. Anywho, here's the list, let me know which ones you guys like and I'll hit those up. The strikethrough ones are the ones I've already seen:

Rank 10 - Hellsing Ultimate - 00:10
Rank 9 - Blood: The Last Vampire - 00:38
Rank 8 - Blue Gender - 01:23
Rank 7 - Berserk - 02:40
Rank 6 - Blood C: The Last Dark - 03:55
Rank 5 - King of Thorn - 04:58
Rank 4 - Muv-Luv - 05:42
Rank 3 - Apocalypse of Devilman - 07:46
Rank 2 - Karas - 09:01
Rank 1 - Blood C - Part 1 - 10:19, Part 2 - 11:30

Blood C looks particularly.....well incredibly fucked up, but also pretty interesting. Same with King of Thorn, Apocalypse of Devilman, and Karas.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, the production values on High School DxD are astonishingly high for an ecchi series so dedicated to bare boobs and juvenile humor.

fade

Staff member
How I See Anime Girls:
Ooo... nice legs. Nice arms. Nice torso. Nice boobies. What the hell, face?!? Why is there a weird doll face on top of this more or less realistic body? Also, usually weird feet, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
How I See Anime Girls:
Ooo... nice legs. Nice arms. Nice torso. Nice boobies. What the hell, face?!? Why is there a weird doll face on top of this more or less realistic body? Also, usually weird feet, too.
Fade: Racist against 2D waifus.

Also "realistic" body :D

GasBandit

Staff member
So, among the other shows I've been trying, I've just recently started JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

...Two episodes in and this is already awesome.
I enjoyed that one quite a bit, I got interested in it back 15 years or so ago when I just happened upon a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure arcade cabinet, and then was able to get it for Dreamcast. Wanted to know more about the story, and was not disappointed.

That's another one that's in the fourth season now, I think. Most will know it just for the Stardust Crusaders arc, which is what's airing now. The manga/show's story is told over centuries, each arc generally following a different generation of Joestar and Brando.