[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Ducktales 2017: How Santa Stole Christmas!

Another charming Christmas episode that helps explain Scrooge's hatred of Santa. Not as good as the first Christmas episode (Scrooge and the three ghosts crash Christmas parties) but still pretty fun and heart warming.

I love that they're making one of Scrooge's defining traits his issues with Christmas. Except for an animated short in the 60', iirc, his first significant appearance outside of the comics was Mickey's Christmas Carol. And, in my opinion one of the best adaptations of the Dickens story.

This Ducktales crew really does a great job incorporating so much Disney lore into this show.

The only thing I didn't like about the episode is how the explanation of why he hates Santa kinda ruins the joke of how he has an unexplained reason for hating Santa.

This Ducktales crew really does a great job incorporating so much Disney lore into this show.
Counted at least three Ducktales (1987) references in the First Adventure episode alone.
* Bottle cap factory in Trala La
* Seaweed on the island in the Bermuda Trapezoid
* Recap of the Treasure of the Golden Suns finale episode.

Frank Agones shared the following on his twitter.

1606984616205.png

While it sounds like Ducktales is likely coming to an end at least it sounds like they always knew it was a possibility and planned it to have an "ending". Hopefully by that they mean it won't leave us with too many questions. The last two seasons ended with major cliff hangers. If they weren't counting on this being their last season they may still give us a cliffhanger that we'll never get a conclusion to.
I am also crossing my fingers that the Darkwing Duck from this series gets to spinoff into his own series.

That's a bummer.

But I hope comic writers will now use Della as a character since she is now a more known character.

my whole thing is if disney didnt give up on it, they could have built an entire marvel universe of disney characters, and made an even bigger killing.

my whole thing is if disney didnt give up on it, they could have built an entire marvel universe of disney characters, and made an even bigger killing.
We're getting a Darkwing Duck show for Disney+ at the very least. We'll see if anything else happens.

figmentPez

Staff member
In searching around Disney+ I've learned that there are a lot more animated Spider-Man series than I thought. I really did stop paying attention after the cancellation of The Spectacular Spider-Man pissed me off. (Also, so disappointing that it isn't part of any streaming subscriptions.)

Ultimate Spider-Man (2012)
This one is decent. I think they leaned a little to heavy on having Doc Ock as a villain, since I found him obnoxious, underdeveloped... Wait, underdeveloped applies to almost every single villain on this show. Some of the heroes have complexity, but most of the villains are cardboard cutouts who are evil for one cliche reason each. Aside from that, the voice acting is good, the action is fun, I like the character designs, the fourth wall breaks can be very funny, and overall it's a solid series.

Spider-Man (2017)
This is horrible. I'm only 5 episodes in and I hate almost everything about it. Peter is an obnoxious know-it-all who is a huge regression in how nerdy kids are portrayed in media. The animation feels really flat, even disregarding that I don't like the art design. The voice acting is bland. I am not finding very much to like in this version of Spidey.

figmentPez

Staff member
Spider-Man (2017)
This is horrible. I'm only 5 episodes in and I hate almost everything about it. Peter is an obnoxious know-it-all who is a huge regression in how nerdy kids are portrayed in media. The animation feels really flat, even disregarding that I don't like the art design. The voice acting is bland. I am not finding very much to like in this version of Spidey.
Finished watching this one. It had it's moments. Not many. The bad points far outweigh the good. If you liked Into the Spider-Verse then do not watch the final season of this series. They have done wrong to Miles Morales, and even worse to his father, Jefferson Davis.

They turned Jefferson into Swarm. With barely any introduction to Miles's dad, just out of nowhere they had him turned into a swarm of bees because he hated Spider-Man. Never mind that the original Swarm from the comics was a Nazi tied to Hydra. This just came out of nowhere, and wasn't properly built-up at all. WHY? This so damn stupid.

The show has so many issues besides that. It just randomly incorporated bits and pieces of comics history with almost no rhyme or reason. Characters and ideas come and go in the blink of an eye with almost no cohesion to the overall plot. It's a mess.

Give this one a pass. Do not bother.

Finished watching this one. It had it's moments. Not many. The bad points far outweigh the good. If you liked Into the Spider-Verse then do not watch the final season of this series. They have done wrong to Miles Morales, and even worse to his father, Jefferson Davis.

They turned Jefferson into Swarm. With barely any introduction to Miles's dad, just out of nowhere they had him turned into a swarm of bees because he hated Spider-Man. Never mind that the original Swarm from the comics was a Nazi tied to Hydra. This just came out of nowhere, and wasn't properly built-up at all. WHY? This so damn stupid.

The show has so many issues besides that. It just randomly incorporated bits and pieces of comics history with almost no rhyme or reason. Characters and ideas come and go in the blink of an eye with almost no cohesion to the overall plot. It's a mess.

Give this one a pass. Do not bother.
Well, it was at least more watchable then whatever the one with the Multiverse stuff was, couldn't even get through one episode of that one.

But yeah, the Swarm thing was so left field.

And , unless i just don't remember, they never even got to explain why he was made of bees all of a sudden.

figmentPez

Staff member
Another series I probably won't be watching because it's on Apple's streaming service (and I don't get to choose what streaming services my family shares with me), but the trailer looks good:

The Snoopy Show

Yeah, this is the last batch of episodes I believe... after this, the show is done (Hopefully with a proper ending.)

Upcoming Disney Animation for TV?

The Ghost and Molly McGee: Spunky girl has grumpy ghost friend, who is cursed to forever be at her side.
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: Based on the Marvel comics, a hyper intelligent 13-year old girl brings a 10-ton T-Rex through time to help defend the Lower East Side.
Dug Days: It's about Dug and Carl from UP, living in the Suburbs. Disney+.
Monster at Work: It's 6th months after the end of Monsters Inc. and follows some new characters that dream of working the Laugh floor. Disney+.

Owl House and Amphibia both have new seasons as well, but I'm not sure when they'll be back. Same with Miraculous, but that's at least getting promos internationally so SOON(tm). Big City Greens is already back.