[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

The original Darkwing seemed like a buffoon who just happened to save the day most of the time out of pure luck or though the help of his team.
I feel like I have to disagree with this. In the very first episode, we see that he’s been training really hard for the role, and his lack of skill in the role is just that; He’s new at it and doesn’t have much experience at the whole hero thing until he’s been on a few adventures. I think it isn’t until later episodes that he’s also shown realizing that heroing is not always a solo gig and that sometimes he has to work with (or even lead) a team. Even Gizmoduck, who quite literally fell into his role through sheer chance and is utterly untrained for it, is intelligent and so eventually learns what it takes to be a better hero.

No, if you’re looking for the buffoon who wins through blind luck, you’re obviously referring to Launchpad.

Also did they get a new VA for DD? That doesn’t sound like Jim Cummings.

—Patrick

Since they've moved into more serialised format with Ducktales, they seem to moving away from the broad comedy and really letting the characters develop. This seems to be the direction of a lot of animated shows in the last 15 years, and they're better for it.

Also did they get a new VA for DD? That doesn’t sound like Jim Cummings.
Yes. He's voiced by Chris Diamantopolis (sp?) now. They actually addressed this in the previous Darkwing episode which had both him and original actor Jim Cummings in it. I don't know if they wanted to stick with a younger actor, or if Disney wanted to distance themselves from Cummings legal issues. (His ex-wife was in court claiming abuse and drugs-problems, so that's not good.)

Yes. He's voiced by Chris Diamantopolis (sp?) now. They actually addressed this in the previous Darkwing episode which had both him and original actor Jim Cummings in it. I don't know if they wanted to stick with a younger actor, or if Disney wanted to distance themselves from Cummings legal issues. (His ex-wife was in court claiming abuse and drugs-problems, so that's not good.)
Probably the younger actor reason. Ducktales has pretty much gone ahead with completely new actors in all of the roles. I think Cummings is still on good terms with Disney as he still has projects he's working on with them.

figmentPez

Staff member
Since this will be on Apple TV, I guess this would more accurately be in the "animation you are not watching" thread, but it's still a nice looking trailer for The Snoopy Show

Since this will be on Apple TV
It's on Apple TV+ (the service), not Apple TV (the device), so if you're someone who doesn't own an Apple TV (the device) but want to watch it, you can still access Apple TV+ (the service) via smart TVs, streaming sticks, or even just through a web browser.

They really could have done a better job of avoiding confusion by naming things a little differently but nooooo...that would ruin the simplicity of it all.

Personally I'm just happiest Snoopy doesn't talk.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
It's on Apple TV+ (the service), not Apple TV (the device), so if you're someone who doesn't own an Apple TV (the device) but want to watch it, you can still access Apple TV+ (the service) via smart TVs, streaming sticks, or even just through a web browser.
I was aware of that, I just forgot to put the + in there. (It's so stupid how many companies use that stupid plus. Don't you want your products to be easy to search for?)

For me it's a money issue, I don't get a say in what streaming services I have access too, I just mooch off the rest of my family.

For me it's a money issue, I don't get a say in what streaming services I have access too, I just mooch off the rest of my family.
Our family has a rule and it's basically everyone pays for one of the services, It works at well so far, though someone needs to pick up HBO max at some point.

I have Apple+ for an extended year because I picked up a new Apple TV last December (Disney + required an upgrade on my system). I'll probably watch it with my daughter. She liked the Blue Sky movie that came out.
Though I did show her the classic "Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown" and she liked it okay but I don't think she'll ever ache to watch it ever again.

They've already announced that the usual holiday specials themselves will be free to stream during the relevant holidays, for what that's worth.

--Patrick

So... Rooster Teeth just removed (almost) all episodes of RWBY from Youtube. If you want to watch RWBY, you now have to go to their site and use their video player. There are several disadvantages to this, such as their player being laggier, a lack of subtitle options other than English, and less visibility overall for the series.

So far the virtually unanimous response from the fanbase has been, "You fucking dumbasses."
Watching Rooster Teeth crumble due to their own slow corruption is one of my least favorite pass-times.

So... Rooster Teeth just removed (almost) all episodes of RWBY from Youtube. If you want to watch RWBY, you now have to go to their site and use their video player. There are several disadvantages to this, such as their player being laggier, a lack of subtitle options other than English, and less visibility overall for the series.

So far the virtually unanimous response from the fanbase has been, "You fucking dumbasses."
Am I the only person that thinks RWBY is really terribly written? I like the animation, I like the action sequences, but the story that's supposed to hold all that together is really bad.

Am I the only person who has no idea what any of this is?

--Patrick
Did you ever see the old animations of cool fight scenes with like master chief and Samus fighting? Well that guy and the people that do red vs blue decided to get together to make an anime. That's what it is

King (voiced by Alex Hirsch) ist a great character. Bit of a jerk but with a big heart.

Another "I can't believe it's Disney" show is Amphibia.

Owl House's primary creator and showrunner worked on Gravity Falls with Alex Hirsch, who is also doing voice work for the show alongside creative consulting. Amphibia's creator also directed several episodes of Gravity Falls (won an Annie for Northwestern Mystery Mansion) and directed on Big City Greens as well. This is just Disney doing what Cartoon Network did with Adventure Time: letting previous creators develop future creators before putting them to work.

Am I the only person that thinks RWBY is really terribly written? I like the animation, I like the action sequences, but the story that's supposed to hold all that together is really bad.
It's true that the writing isn't anything special. I wouldn't call it terrible, necessarily, but I consider it just serviceable. I was first attracted to RWBY by Monty Oum's awesome fight scenes, and after he died I just kept watching because I was already invested, but if it wasn't for those fights then I doubt I'd be interested in RWBY.

Ducktales (2017) - The Splitsword of Swanstontine!

This was a fun match-up anthology, with characters who don't really interact much (Violet and Louie, Lena and Dewie, with Webby and Huey rounding it out) having mini-adventures in a bazaar, as each group takes on a member of F.O.W.L while Scrooge deals with F.O.W.L.'s Black Heron. Nothing super interesting except a small reveal about Dewie (he apparently has Donald's sheer anger and aggression, but never acts on it), but it's clear they are building up to a big showdown sometime later this season.

Only 4 more listed episodes so far, which seem like random one-offs, but there is a listing for an unnamed episode after the break that sounds like it might be a Tailspin tie-in.

I'm finally binging The Owl House, which I knew was going to be good from its Gravity Falls connections alone, but damn, is it great! I didn't realize Wendie Malick was providing voice, but the second I heard her I knew I was going to love Eda.

But I just saw their Sorting Hat! :rofl:

And here I thought all the 555 numbers were reserved.

"What do you want to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky...tie up the phone line!"
"Narf!"

--Patrick

Amphibia
Recommended to me because I enjoyed Gravity Falls and Owlhouse.
I think it is okay but I'm not hooked enough to keep watching on my own. If my daughter wishes to watch it with me I'll keep going with it. Otherwise I do not find the story or characters as compelling as the other shows I mentioned. Sprig is good natured but on the annoying side and Anne's story is basically a back-to-school special about peer pressure.