[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Cool, thanks Adult Swim. You did Brendan Small incredibly dirty by leaving Metalocalypse unfinished and now the 17 FUCKING YEAR journey with Venture Bros is left on a cliffhanger.

Fuck this.
I mean at least it gave us a few answers to some old questions.

GasBandit

Staff member
they bought all the rights for Symbionic Titan to air it on Netflix.
Oooh, I didn't know that. Hope they make more, it was just getting good when it got cancelled.

Too bad they can't do the same for Megas XLR, given how CN scuttled its IP for a tax writeoff, so it can never be developed again.

It sounds like they may have delayed reporting it being cancelled because they were hoping to continue the story another way. Probably would have preferred to give some good news with the bad news.

It sounds like they may have delayed reporting it being cancelled because they were hoping to continue the story another way. Probably would have preferred to give some good news with the bad news.

Yeah, all signs are pointing at AT&T looking to pull the plug instead of William's Street or CN.

Interesting looking Netflix-sponsored movie from the same studio that made the under-rated Abominable.

Netflix has been doing a lot great animation lately (aside from Dragon's Dogma, which looks cheap and is poorly written).

But I can sing most of that theme song without having ever actually seen the show. That has to be a sign of a good theme song somehow.

It might be worth checking out a few more episodes.
Yeah, I dug it. It's got some deep cuts for jokes too.

Like spending like 2-3 minutes of the Holodeck movie episode on repeated 3D shots of the Cerritos in spacedock. That was an ice cold dig at The Motion Picture.

I watched the second episode of Lower Decks and I actually HATED this episode. Both main characters are fucking torture. The B-Plot was ok, but holy shit the main plot was arduous. Like the longest 20 minutes of my life.

Yeah, I clicked the video player off when the commercial break 'joke' was the main character stammering "Ha ha, surrounded by spears? What am I? Kirk in the 2270s"

Fuck off. This is literal sub-Family Guy trash.

I just need to finally acquiesce that Star Trek is a bonfire trash heap that is going to do nothing but piss me off now.

Last edited:
I never get tired of the level of detail the writers over at Ducktales put into this show, but this blink-and-you'll miss it may be one of the most amazing easter eggs I've ever seen-

The Fluppy Dogs!!!! I haven't thought about them in years! I didn't remember they were a Disney property! We had that movie taped off tv and I watched it so. many. times. I squealed, not gonna lie.

I never get tired of the level of detail the writers over at Ducktales put into this show, but this blink-and-you'll miss it may be one of the most amazing easter eggs I've ever seen-

The Fluppy Dogs!!!! I haven't thought about them in years! I didn't remember they were a Disney property! We had that movie taped off tv and I watched it so. many. times. I squealed, not gonna lie.
This is exactly what happened in my household. Taped off TV VHS copy that was watched way too many times. Disney property that was trying to become a full series, but viewership of the special wasn't high enough.

Related, I was confused why they didn't let Bushroot talk, but I just found out Tino Insana died 3 years ago. RIP Uncle Ted and Mr. Grouper. :(

Related, I was confused why they didn't let Bushroot talk, but I just found out Tino Insana died 3 years ago. RIP Uncle Ted and Mr. Grouper. :(
That's unfortunate. Though they definitely succeeded at making Bushroot terrifying without a voice actor.
They also got Michael Bell back for Quackerjack, but not Jack Angel and Dan Castellaneta for Liquidator and Megavolt respectively.

Zombie!Bushroot did seem menacing. Megavolt at least sounded pretty close to his old voice. Liquidator not at all. But then again, Tauros Bulba was clearly not Tim Curry anymore, but they've gone in different directions with a lot of the characters and yielded some really good results.

Zombie!Bushroot did seem menacing. Megavolt at least sounded pretty close to his old voice. Liquidator not at all. But then again, Tauros Bulba was clearly not Tim Curry anymore, but they've gone in different directions with a lot of the characters and yielded some really good results.
Tim Curry doesn't really... do voice acting work (or acting work in generally) much anymore because of a serious stroke he had a few years back. Check him out in the FOX remake of Rocky Horror (he's the Narrator): he's not doing well. I suspect the different direction is to account for that.

No, I remember that. In fact, I remember commenting about how he was struggling when we talked about Rocky Live in the TV thread years ago. But what I was trying to say is that not everyone they've recast (living or dead) is immitating their predecessors. For example, Jim Rash's Gyro has a much darker streak than the original and different sound. Or Mrs. Bleakley is far more no-nonsense and savvy than her oft-befuddled 80's verison.

Yeah you can find me debating with myself which Gyro is better, but 2K17 Beakley reigns supreme, at least to me.

With the triplets I'm conflicted, the OG3 were like a cool well oiled hivemind machine,but the modern versions have MUCH more prevalent personalities. The old versions mind you DID shine out on their own at times, but it was mostly like "Why not just have one nephew "?

The biggest takeaway that I got from "Let's Get Dangerous" is they made Darkwing what I've always wanted him to be: a competent hero. The original Darkwing seemed like a buffoon who just happened to save the day most of the time out of pure luck or though the help of his team. Yes there were episodes where he outsmarted the villains but he never really seemed like he knew what he was doing most of the time. I mean the direction of the show was slapstick over anything else, so it's expected. Darkwing's biggest flaw has always been his ego for me though. I hate characters that have such egos that they don't listen to their teammates and are more focused on their image than they are actually being a self-sacrificing hero.
The new Darkwing has traces of that ego, but not so much that he's unlikable. In fact he rarely ever lets his ego get in the way of doing the right thing.
The moments where he rescues Gosalyn on the side of the building and where he stays awake for days trying to figure out how to bring her grandfather back are my favorite moments of DW being exactly what I want him to be. And, very surprisingly, they seem like they are moving away from the formulaic "You're too young to help me so stay here but you'll get involved anyway and help me/hinder me until we resolve this situation and then I completely forget what you did by the next episode." I'd love to see DW and Gosalyn working together more often.

I love all the new variations. I could find myself grimacing at how annoying some of the OG characters were. But the new series knows how to handle all of them. Haven't seen a 2017 character I didn't like.