[TV] The Walking Dead

Rewatched the season 4 episode where Beth got taken. No one took the warnings down; they heard them clang and the walkers went right through. So, new theory:

Plenty of time has passed since the "Clear" episode of season 3; I wonder if the stash was Morgan's, and that's how he was able to start tracking them, to Terminus and beyond.

Rewatched the season 4 episode where Beth got taken. No one took the warnings down; they heard them clang and the walkers went right through. So, new theory:

Plenty of time has passed since the "Clear" episode of season 3; I wonder if the stash was Morgan's, and that's how he was able to start tracking them, to Terminus and beyond.
Hummm guess my memory was fuzzy. Still seems obvious to me that someone herded the zombies into them though, too much foreshadowing with the fact it was pristine, and that dog showing up. I find it hard to believe it was a random herd.

That episode was sooooo boring.
I don't give a flip about Abraham's back story, nor was I surprised that mullet-face was a fake. I do care about Maggie and Glen, but the rest are just walker-fodder, IMO.

From what the actor said on Talking Dead, and from the comic books, Abraham had an even more tragic backstory.

When the outbreak first occurred, Abraham and his family grouped up with some neighbors. When Abraham and a few others went on a supply run, the remaining men raped his wife, his daughter, and some other women. When Abraham got back, he ripped the rapists apart. He scared his family so badly that they ran away. He found his wife and son had been devoured, but his daughter had become a zombie and he shot her in the face.

Last edited:
Which, ironically, followed one of the best. And it was a BETH episode.
Last season had an amazing Beth episode ... granted, it was also a Daryl episode.

I'm not calling this best season yet because last season's last 10 or 11 episodes were incredible, but considering how this one's going, it could continue the show's trend of getting better every season. I can't think of another show that's done that for five damn seasons.

Just to be clear I meant it is the best so far as in so far up to this point in the season. Not that I am ready to proclaim it the overall best. That would be foolish as we aren't even halfway through. There's still plenty of time to screw it all up

Last season had an amazing Beth episode ... granted, it was also a Daryl episode.

I'm not calling this best season yet because last season's last 10 or 11 episodes were incredible, but considering how this one's going, it could continue the show's trend of getting better every season. I can't think of another show that's done that for five damn seasons.
Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad
I was going to say Breaking Bad but hinestly I did feel like the second season was a bit of a dip from the first.

Which actually mirrors Walking Dead's arc

and now that I think about it, Hell on Wheels weakest season was also the second.

Is this an AMC thing?

I don't think it dipped for either Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, just that there were more episodes and more time to draw out what was happening, while the first season had to be a dense six episodes to get a next season for certain. I can see why Walking Dead season 2 would've been frustrating to watch, but I marathoned it over two days, and have also marathoned the other seasons since, and it was fine.

Breaking Bad season 2 really built a lot of stuff and while not quite at "must see next episode immediately" territory that season 3 and 4 are, it's still strong. I'd say Raven's right, but I'll withhold definite judgment until I get to watch season 2 again. My wife just started season 1, her first viewing.

Breaking Bad season 2 really built a lot of stuff and while not quite at "must see next episode immediately" territory that season 3 and 4 are, it's still strong. I'd say Raven's right, but I'll withhold definite judgment until I get to watch season 2 again. My wife just started season 1, her first viewing.

In the comics, Carol is a little unhinged and suicidal, and gets worse throughout their stay at the prison until she offs herself. I like what the show has done with her.

I think Carol (TV) is turning into the popular character that Andrea was in the comics, which totally works for me.

I'm actually two episodes behinds (last week's and this past Sunday's). And...I'm not really in any rush to catch up. That "meh" feeling I had from last season is starting to return.

Last week's episode was great.

This one was frustrating. Frequent bouncing between four locations, and then five once Glenn's group divided tasks, made it a hard sit, but also everyone kept doing the wrong things. I'm sure it'll come together for next week's mid-season finale/cliffhanger, but still.

Last week's episode was great.

This one was frustrating. Frequent bouncing between four locations, and then five once Glenn's group divided tasks, made it a hard sit, but also everyone kept doing the wrong things. I'm sure it'll come together for next week's mid-season finale/cliffhanger, but still.
It's the old problem of splitting up the party: the DM can't focus the story until they get back together.

I don't think it dipped for either Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, just that there were more episodes and more time to draw out what was happening, while the first season had to be a dense six episodes to get a next season for certain. I can see why Walking Dead season 2 would've been frustrating to watch, but I marathoned it over two days, and have also marathoned the other seasons since, and it was fine.

If I remember correctly AMC didn't give The Walking Dead a big budget for season 2. For some reason they still doubted its popularity. So with a limited budget they did the best they could and shoot with limited locations.

Regarding the dips in episodes I've noticed that after a really strong episode (or brutal one) there will be a slow show. It's almost letting the viewers catch their breaths and helps lower the bar a bit for the next few episodes. There comes a point where they can't top each episode so throw a slow one or two in there (like the Governor's two story arc from last season) then have an insane arc afterwards.

If I remember correctly AMC didn't give The Walking Dead a big budget for season 2. For some reason they still doubted its popularity. So with a limited budget they did the best they could and shoot with limited locations.

Regarding the dips in episodes I've noticed that after a really strong episode (or brutal one) there will be a slow show. It's almost letting the viewers catch their breaths and helps lower the bar a bit for the next few episodes. There comes a point where they can't top each episode so throw a slow one or two in there (like the Governor's two story arc from last season) then have an insane arc afterwards.
While telling a long story like this must come in waves, i.e. can't just keeping amping it up, that doesn't really explain the dips in quality. For example, the two-episode Governor arc were both slow episodes, but they were fantastic episodes. But then you'll get a slow episode where it doesn't feel like much has happened, or worse, it was a let-down.

But I still feel overall each season has gotten better. Each one has its loser episodes, but the quality stuff, both the slow episodes and the high intensity ones, more than make up for it.

While I didn't see the method coming, I knew the minute Michonne told Maggie that Beth was alive that she was going to be dead before they were reunited. Because.... the Walking Dead.
I expected Maggie's reaction to hearing Beth's alive to be "Who's Beth?"

Well, I didn't see it coming, so the rest of the episode was dreadful.

Curious what'll happen now.

I kind of thought the second half of the season was going to be a dug-in war in Atlanta a la season 3, but they've nipped Terminus in the bud, and now the hospital.

Well we all know where the next chapter ends...

Morgan found the map to DC, so it's obvious he'll meet up with the others there at some point... unless they want to use him for the spin-off series they are making.[/spoilers]

That was a red-shirt way to go. What a pointless character. I guess they all can't be Mischone/Carol. Hershel's death had an impact, but Beth has been so boring that I don't even care. I have to applaud the creators in not making her a martyr or sacrificial hero. She was dumb and died in a dumb way. Unless I missed something. They were all walking out of there; unless Dawn was going to pull a stunt, but we'll never know.

That was a red-shirt way to go. What a pointless character. I guess they all can't be Mischone/Carol. Hershel's death had an impact, but Beth has been so boring that I don't even care. I have to applaud the creators in not making her a martyr or sacrificial hero. She was dumb and died in a dumb way. Unless I missed something. They were all walking out of there; unless Dawn was going to pull a stunt, but we'll never know.
Dawn would have had her people kill them all just to keep control. That was the entire point... as reasonable as she seemed and as much as she owed Beth, she was still so scared of losing everything that she was willing to let her officers rape and abuse the patients and then kill the girl who just saved her life to prove a point. Once Beth realized that Dawn was never going to honor a deal, she was going to kill her because she knew her people wouldn't stop her. And if Beth had been faster, everyone would have walked away.

And honestly? Beth's been the break-out character this season. None of the idiot ball shit that Darryl or Carol had.

Dawn would have had her people kill them all just to keep control. That was the entire point... as reasonable as she seemed and as much as she owed Beth, she was still so scared of losing everything that she was willing to let her officers rape and abuse the patients and then kill the girl who just saved her life to prove a point. Once Beth realized that Dawn was never going to honor a deal, she was going to kill her because she knew her people wouldn't stop her. And if Beth had been faster, everyone would have walked away.

And honestly? Beth's been the break-out character this season. None of the idiot ball shit that Darryl or Carol had.
She didn't have an impact on me. I don't expect everyone to be a badass. That's not what I mean. I am not sure that her arc was all that compelling. I just never really cared for her character I guess.

As for the situation with Dawn, Beth could have easily gotten her whole group killed. It was impulsive and reckless, IMO. Dawn's group didn't have her back so I don't think they would have followed her play.

She didn't have an impact on me. I don't expect everyone to be a badass. That's not what I mean. I am not sure that her arc was all that compelling. I just never really cared for her character I guess.

As for the situation with Dawn, Beth could have easily gotten her whole group killed. It was impulsive and reckless, IMO. Dawn's group didn't have her back so I don't think they would have followed her play.
Correct, but only Dawn's group knew they knew wouldn't have Dawn's back. Rick's group didn't know, Beth didn't know, even Dawn didn't know.

Beth impressed me this season, but from talking with people at work, I realize I'm in the minority there. It still sucks that she's dead; I feel awful for Daryl and Maggie.