[TV] The Walking Dead

You say you're a fan of the original content but then you claim that:
Tyrese better watch out if they run into any more black people?
What about
Michonne? Is she screwed too?

Any fan of the original content is going to know that

Tyrese isn't going anywhere now that's he's arrived.

Totally agree on the Andrea issue though, I think the ONLY redemption she has at this point is if she

Kills the Governor herself when presented with the choice to choose Rick's group or him.

What about

Black MEN sir, black men.
So far, this show is 2/2 of killing off black male characters as soon as or very shortly after they introduce a new one.

Ok again, do you really feel, being a fan of the original content that no matter who joins that
Tyrese
is in any danger of being written off?
Dude, Dale is long dead and Herschel's arc has been pretty different with them. Going by source material is definitely not the best way to judge a character's lifespan.

Dude, Dale is long dead and Herschel is still with them. Going by source material is definitely not the best way to judge a character's lifespan.
Oh I agree completely, but Dale and Hershel vs
Tyrese
? However the -single handed badass- trait has been Daryl's forte for a while now.

Wow, talking about this has made me realize how badly I misremember a lot of the older comics. Now I'm gonna read them again. It has been years.

Wow, talking about this has made me realize how badly I misremember a lot of the older comics. Now I'm gonna read them again. It has been years.
Let's just both hope for the Gym scene to make it to televsion before this is all over eh? ;) I did yell pretty loud when he pulled out the hammer.

Yeah, how many conveniently timed smoke grenades did it take to keep characters from recognizing each other? Was it 3 or 4?

I saw them.

You did?

Yeah, it was a black guy in a jump suit, the only person there I wouldn't recognize immediately. He is also the only one who will be killed, because he's both unimportant and someone I wouldn't recognize.

And on and on and on.

I'd been pretty onboard this show after it's abysmal 1/2 of the second season and was all in on this season so far, but holy shit did it have to try way to fucking hard to keep the story from resolving itself more.

Hey, I know I'm being overly harsh and hyperbolic about the whole thin, and some cool shit happened and set up some cool shit to happen. I just think it wasn't great how they went about it.

What about

Michonne is the popular one. She's not going anywhere. Tyrese's daughter though? Shes fucked. She will be dead by the end of the season.

Comic fans would also know...

Tyrese is good as dead once the next black guy comes around, who is basically fucked when HIS replacement comes around. It's kind of a running joke in the comics at this point.

oh man oh man oh man oh man

I could not sit still during that fight between Michonne and the Governor; my hands were spazzing like crazy. They were ALMOST in the clear, dammit! I think I bit a notch in my finger for all the smoke bomb running and gunning.

Damn, I love this show. Can't wait to see more in February.

Oh yes, shouldn't disregard Carl. He pulled that situation right at every turn--got in, did what had to be done, led them, let them handle their own business (didn't disrespect them as people), and also kept his people safe.

Things have been so hectic they haven't had time to fix that wall, but if things ever calm down, they need to make that a priority.

Honestly, the smoke grenade stuff would've bothered me if The Governor wasn't so damn good and convincing with Andrea, keeping the wool firmly over her eyes. Like, just the way he managed to come up with the most logical explanations and reasons to keep her from the truth of who was invading. When she mentioned the prison uniform and he came up with an explanation of who the group was on the spot, I was impressed.

Am I alone in thinking this Governor is much more well-rounded as a character than the comics? The comic Governor was completely reprehensible, with no redeeming qualities at all. This guy, while still clearly evil and crazy, has some reasoning behind him (his daughter, for one). He's much more convincing as a political figure to lead the masses.

I think the Governor in the comics was more Hitler twirling-moustache evil yet this Governor is real, true evil. His dealings with Maggie had my wife and I both on the edge of our seats. You had no doubt that he would do anything in that circumstance.

No one is 'evil' just because they want to be evil; they always feel justified in their reasoning. That's what makes reality more terrifying than fiction.

Absolutely, 100% agreed, brother. It's like what former pro-wrestler Mick Foley once said, "The best villains are the ones who believe that they're right."

Absolutely, 100% agreed, brother. It's like what former pro-wrestler Mick Foley once said, "The best villains are the ones who believe that they're right."
There is no such thing as "former" Professional Wrestler anymore. If you can walk out to the ring and do an armbar hold, your still in the game.

For what it's worth, Foley is basically the only wrestler I can respect anymore. Hogan and Rick Flair lost it years ago and are still trying to keep going for basically the glory at this point, but Mick? Dude DESTROYED his body over his career and now he's going out, writing awesome books and working with kids like a fuckin' boss. Even better, there is basically nobody he's worked with over the years that can say an ill word about him.

He's like a fat Jesus, if he wrestled.

For what it's worth, Foley is basically the only wrestler I can respect anymore. Hogan and Rick Flair lost it years ago and are still trying to keep going for basically the glory at this point, but Mick? Dude DESTROYED his body over his career and now he's going out, writing awesome books and working with kids like a fuckin' boss. Even better, there is basically nobody he's worked with over the years that can say an ill word about him.

He's like a fat Jesus, if he wrestled.
I'm sure his dentist doesn't like him very much.

Just finished it and loved it.

As soon as I saw the hammer I knew it was Tyrese and got both psyched and realized what this means. I knew the black guy was going to die and was seriously disappointed when it happened. I know it's not like the producers are literally sitting around and saying "welp, can't have two black men on one show" but still. I also fear what it means for Darryl, as Tyrese is comic book Rick's right hand man for so long.

I also realize that the rest of these people are only here to eventually be killed off, probably at the season finale.

Carl keeps getting better. He's making all the good decisions that Andrea can't.

Upon further reflection I realized I really liked one thing the governor did was

call Rick's group terrorists right off the bat. He played on something that they could understand from before the outbreak

what I didn't like though, was that
The plan for the prison changed from the comics. In the comics he DID want to relocate Woodbury to the prison or at least control it for it's resources. I guess in the show he wants to just squash any ideas that people can live outside his walls I guess? That doesn't seem like a great reason to me to want to mess with a group like Rick's. Just leave 'em all alone, ya know?

I think the Governor's motivation is pretty straightforward. Paranoia. He can't allow anyone that could challenge his leadership, it's why he killed off the soldiers as well.

I think the Governor's motivation is pretty straightforward. Paranoia. He can't allow anyone that could challenge his leadership, it's why he killed off the soldiers as well.
This is what I got from him right when he killed the soldiers. This guy wants to be the ruler of the world in the eyes of the people under him. He doesn't need to be as paranoid as he is--he already has the people of Woodbury in his hands. Even if what the Governor did came out and the people of Woodbury believed it, they wouldn't care. He's the one keeping them safe, clothed, fed, etc. They won't turn on him over morality. The show has been building that concept from the end of season 2 with the main group--Rick's keeping the group alive is far more important than whatever wrongs he might have done, even if internally they're driving him crazy.

That bit where he projected Shane through the smoke in Woodbury--that was great.

It's a different world. Like what happened with the guy in the shack--no one was sorry they did that. Human life has no value anymore, even at a time when the population is so decimated that it should be far more valuable than it was.

What was up with that guy in the shack anyway? His pet fox died like 2 months ago, but he didn't bother to throw it out of the house? He hasn't wondered why he hasn't gotten a TV or radio signal in 9+ months? Or fuck... seen a walker in that time when he went out for supplies?

Really, that whole scene was stupid as hell.

What was up with that guy in the shack anyway? His pet fox died like 2 months ago, but he didn't bother to throw it out of the house? He hasn't wondered why he hasn't gotten a TV or radio signal in 9+ months? Or fuck... seen a walker in that time when he went out for supplies?

Really, that whole scene was stupid as hell.
He struck me as a crazy hermit or at least someone who knew about the outbreak and was hiding out. The fact that he tried to run out the door says crazy hermit.

I assumed he had just lost it. I still felt bad that the group killed him, but he wasn't going to last much longer anyway.

Edit:
To clarify, I don't feel bad that they killed him to prevent him from throwing open the doors and letting the walkers in. I do feel bad that the group essentially brought that whole mess onto his doorstep.