[TV] The Walking Dead

I thought the show was great. The pacing was slow but it fit with the overall theme. I can't believe they made me feel sympathy for zombies (specifically the one crawling in the park). It was almost like a wounded animal. Looking forward to the season. Was a little surprised at the amount of blood/gore in the episode.

I thought the show was great. The pacing was slow but it fit with the overall theme. I can't believe they made me feel sympathy for zombies (specifically the one crawling in the park). It was almost like a wounded animal. Looking forward to the season. Was a little surprised at the amount of blood/gore in the episode.
That is directly from the comic book. They're definitely taking the best parts of the comic and making them better.

I don't think he ever felt sorry for the zombie, but he was definitely sorry for what had happened to the person. She wasn't just bit once or twice like most of the people; she had probably been ripped apart by a pack of them while everybody else ran away. That would've been a terrible way to go.

Been waiting since they announced it. Watched it. Loved it. Bought comics online this week. Will wait till end of show to read.

Did I mention that it was amazing? The did zombies right for a change.

I don't think Rick gets his hatchet! I hope he does at some point.
I was reading back the series back from issue 1 and I have to agree, the magic hatchet better make an appearance.

Could make for an awesome Walking Dead drinking game. For every zombie Rick kills with the hatchet, take a drink!

For those of you looking forward to seeing certain things from the comic in the series... I wouldn't hold my breath, they might not happen. Kirkman is treating the series as a sort of "reboot", an Ultimate Walking Dead if you will... there will be new characters, new situations and things that happen in the comic might happen but in a different way or not happen at all. He says we shouldn't even expect to know who lives and who dies in the series even if you follow the comic... he wants to keep the feeling of "no one is safe" that the comic has.

One of the quick sources: 'The Walking Dead': Comic book series creator Robert Kirkman answers our questions about last night's shocking pilot | EW.com

The slight-spoiler thing I'm not sure I like:
Shane is not gonna die... at least not anytime soon. Kirkman wants to explore the Rick-Lori-Shane triangle further in the series :/

For those of you looking forward to seeing certain things from the comic in the series... I wouldn't hold my breath, they might not happen. Kirkman is treating the series as a sort of "reboot", an Ultimate Walking Dead if you will... there will be new characters, new situations and things that happen in the comic might happen but in a different way or not happen at all. He says we shouldn't even expect to know who lives and who dies in the series even if you follow the comic... he wants to keep the feeling of "no one is safe" that the comic has.

One of the quick sources: 'The Walking Dead': Comic book series creator Robert Kirkman answers our questions about last night's shocking pilot | EW.com

Shane is not gonna die... at least not anytime soon. Kirkman wants to explore the Rick-Lori-Shane triangle further in the series :/

Yeah, I suspected there was simply some stuff we'd never see happen in the Television series.

COMIC SPOILERS. DO NOT OPEN IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE COMIC.
Stuff that I expect we won't see:

- Murder of the twins by the crazy guy
- Attempted Double Suicide by Ty's daughter and boyfriend
- Crazy Chick's attempt to get in a polyamourus relationship with Rick and Lori.
- Michone's (SP?) weird arrival.
- Rick losing his hand
- Lori and the baby getting killed

Stuff I suspect will be added?

- Dwayne and his dad will have more appearances.
- A concrete cause of the outbreak

I'll be honest, I wasn't really planning to go out of my way to watch this show. It was only because I was clicking through channels on Sunday that I decided to record it on a lark.

Well, I finally watched it today and it was awesome. I'll definitely be tuning in next week. I wanna find out who was talking to Rick over the radio when he was in the tank.

Considering 90% of the viewing population has probably never read the comics, that's kinda moot. And the fact we're watching despite already knowing the 'twists and turns' shows just how good the show is. That said, it's more likely that they don't want to kill off 'popular characters' for $$$ reasons, not story reasons...

I know I'm early but, Jesus F. Christ, I really hope this thread won't turn into a whinefest that X and Y wasn't exactly from the book/novel/comic/toilet paper.

This thread is to discuss the TV SHOW, so let's shut it when it comes to how it'll compare to the goddamned books while the show is going on. Enjoy this shit for a change and watch the spoilers please.

I'll definitely be tuning in next week. I wanna find out who was talking to Rick over the radio when he was in the tank.
The voice sounded like a young man's. Since this is Rick's first foray into Atlanta I'm betting it's Glenn.

It's cool that we can talk about the comic and it's not really a spoiler for the show, cause it'll be different anyway.

For instance... something that's now confirmed is NOT a spoiler (FOR THE TV SHOW, STILL SPOILER FOR (early issues of) COMIC):
Carl, that's Rick's little kid, actually kills Shane, saving Rick's life. This marks the character for the rest of the series. Wonder how this will change the TV-Carl.

Also, the thread never specifies if this is TV or comic-centric, so as long as spoilers are clearly marked and spoiler tags are used, there really shouldn't be any kind of problem with talking about either version of The Walking Dead.

It's cool that we can talk about the comic and it's not really a spoiler for the show, cause it'll be different anyway.
There are some other characters in these episodes that aren't part of the comic, so I'm betting they'll use one of those instead.

I know I'm early but, Jesus F. Christ, I really hope this thread won't turn into a whinefest that X and Y wasn't exactly from the book/novel/comic/toilet paper.
IMO most of the time when they change stuff it also means that they change the feel and tone of the work too... mostly by missing the point... hopefully with the creator on-board that won't happen.

I finally got to watch this last night, and I have to say that of all the stuff I've watched or read, this is the first that felt properly bleak, and thus properly realistic. Still, so good.

lol, that must be a production still, not a shot from the show unless it just hasn't had its post production done yet.

So I just watched it last night.

It was excellent. It was hard and intense and beautifully shot. This could end up being one of the best tv shows ever.

It's good enough to be cancelled after it's first season!

I'm still waiting for charly boner fierce to tell us we're all a bunch of dumb nerds for enjoy something that sucked.

Actually I think he said he was "hoping it would be good" because it was an AMC show but not because it was "the 837th stupid nerd zombie story" so... I don't know how excited he was for it... but I would like to hear his thoughts as well, even when we disagree I respect charlies thoughts on media.

It was fucking amazing. That pilot was better than most zombie movies.

It also was the most-watched anything in AMC's history, so they're gonna probably want more. More people saw it than anything on NBC not called The Office or Football last week. That's really great.

I do have to say that the lead kind of isn't the best actor. Hopefully he'll get better. I have been slightly not reading all of this thread since I haven't read the comic at all and might want to some day, and it seems like comic spoilers are going all over the place.

I agree, it was better than 97% of Zombie movies. I was actually really disappointed with the casting of the guy playing Rick. He didn't strike me as similar to the character from the comic, not that thats a huge deal, but I had hoped he would look more like him. All in all he was fine, I think he had to spend most of this episode looking shocked so I expect to see him stretched soon.

As far as comic spoilers go, from what I have heard they are changing things dramatically in order to keep the "anyone can die" feeling the comic here in the show. So any spoiler you might know from the comic isn't certain.

As far as comic spoilers go, from what I have heard they are changing things dramatically in order to keep the "anyone can die" feeling the comic here in the show. So any spoiler you might know from the comic isn't certain.
Well, it's still spoiling the comic that I might read since the show is so good :p

North_Ranger

Staff member
Never read the comic, and knowing the kind of brain-dead 'tards we have selecting which shows get aired, the series will likely never arrive in here (We get it! You like Heartbeat! But it's been on for years! And Dolby City is just boring! And who in the sphincter of hell thought Primeval wouldn't suck donkey balls!?), so I'll contend with watching this as Flash loads.

Well, it's still spoiling the comic that I might read since the show is so good :p[/QUOTE]

Well thats fair, the comic is simply amazing. Make sure you have someone around to stop you from killing yourself though. It's not, uh, how do I put this, "heartwarming".

C

Chazwozel

It's good enough to be cancelled after it's first season!

I'm still waiting for charly boner fierce to tell us we're all a bunch of dumb nerds for enjoy something that sucked.

Charlie has really good taste in movies. He's a little critical, but usually spot on.

fade

Staff member
I saw the first episode, and I've never read the comic. It was a little slow-paced. I'm impressed with how abandoned they made the sets feel. Not impressed with the really cheesy looking CG blood, though. I hope the pace picks up a little.