The Video Game Kickstarter Thread of the Future of Passing the Risk to the Consumer

O

Overflight

Not a bad page, but I have some suggestions for some improvements.

Seriously, this is either going to be awesome or an utter disaster.

Since they're nearing double their minimum funding with about 12,000 units sold, hopefully it's too late at this point to become a "complete" failure (unless of course, they just disappear with everybody's money). There's always the risk it won't catch on with the mainstream gamer community, but since it's running Android, the absolute worst case scenario might be you'll have a box dedicated to playing your phone's games on the TV.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370924922/kanzume-goddess

Overview

Kanzume Goddess is a game about a war between two rival pantheons of Gods and Goddesses; the Norse Gods lead by Odin and the Greek Gods led by Zeus. Each player takes the role of one of the Gods and battles to come out on top using various warriors based upon the Zodiac.
Kanzume Goddess is a deck building game in the vein of Dominion, Ascension, Nightfall, Tanto Cuore, and Thunderstone. As with those games, you are given a basic set of cards to start with and a field of other cards to purchase and build your deck. In this game, rather than compete for victory points, the goal is to deal damage to your opponents and knock them out of the game.
We discovered this game during our travels abroad and thought that it would be a great project to translate and bring over here. The artwork is all very nice and it's a pretty fun game to boot. We've seen a lot of interest in Tanto Cuore and its expansions and felt like it was time to try something new. We're already working on the translations and it's ready to go to print as soon as those are done so we're looking at a reasonably quick turnaround here.

Did you guys ever play Defense Grid, a.k.a. the greatest tower defense game of all time?

Well, there's now a kickstarter for Defense Grid 2.

TL;DR version: The company that made Defense Grid wants to do a sequel. Every publisher they went to for funding agreed they liked the first one and that a sequel would turn a profit, but not enough of a profit. So now they turn to kickstarter to raise 1 million. If it only gets funded part way (as you can see from the images above), they will add an expansion to the original instead.

Defense Grid has constantly popped up on Steam's sales leaderboard. Do they seriously need crowdfunding?

Geez, I don't know. They also made the games for Iron Man 2 and Green Lantern. Those were both abominations on Superman 64 levels.

EDIT: Halfway through the video now and they talk about how double jumps aren't unique to video games. The hell are they talking about? That's almost a staple of many games, even ones that attack.

Knock-Knock, a game by Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of The Void, Cargo: the Quest for Gravity, and Pathologic (most depressing, artful game I've ever played).

Gameplay Details!

Hide! We have to emulate hide-and-seek with monstrous creatures of nightmares. It turned out to be a hybrid of Lode Runner, Home Alone and Nightmare Ned.
Don’t look now! Keep (your avatar) away from the night visitors. The objective of each new night is to hold out until dawn and stay sane. The Night (a level) lasts for 7-10 minutes each.
Turn on the light! Only illuminated rooms are a safe haven and allow freedom of movement. But the light does not last for long and needs permanent supervision.
Fix the house! The more breaches there are in the house, the more fear, darkness and creatures of the sick mind the hero has to withstand.

• Each night a number of useful tools appear in different rooms.
  • The player builds his very own house: any combination of rooms, stairs and doors are allowed. Any new room would increase the total amount of health and safety of the hero and open up new opportunities.
  • Every kind of Guest has a unique appearance, damage range, and personal characteristics. New seasons of the game will follow.
  • Everything that happens in the house is a clue. Uncover clues, master levels, stay sane and you will eventually expose the underlying mystery.
I can't wait to see what they come out with. I'm tempted to do the 47 dollar donation... if only because I KNOW Ice-Pick will make it worth it.

That's what I've wanted mine craft to become as a next step. The material physics requiring some amount of engineering, and the addition of automatons you can command are going to take it to a whole new level.

Almost? It DOES have it all. Somebody pimped this somewhere big or is/knows somebody big in the industry. They were already going to succeed.

The Ice-Pick Lodge guys? They actually need help. They do stuff for the art and it's never the easily accessible kind. Yet I'd still say they've done amazing things with both The Void and Pathologic, whatever issues the end games had.

It's also never going to get funded. Seriously, Game Devs... if your not a pre-established name or friends with important/famous people, don't even THINK of doing a Triple A game with Kickstarter. Your just not going to get the money. Scale down. If you can't do it for less than 50 grand, you can't do it on Kickstarter.

This is the kind of shit I was talking about with the title of this thread.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...active-take-nancy-drew-games-mobile?ref=email

Wildly successful (for the genre and platform they choose, seriously, look up the sales numbers of these shitty Nancy Drew games) game publisher asks for a shit ton of money to port an already existing shitty Nancy Drew game to iOS and Droid. This is the fucking opposite of what Kickstarter should be used for in my opinion.

This is the kind of shit I was talking about with the title of this thread.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...active-take-nancy-drew-games-mobile?ref=email

Wildly successful (for the genre and platform they choose, seriously, look up the sales numbers of these shitty Nancy Drew games) game publisher asks for a shit ton of money to port an already existing shitty Nancy Drew game to iOS and Droid. This is the fucking opposite of what Kickstarter should be used for in my opinion.
Yeah... and it'll probably crash and burn because of how much they are asking for. Who THE FUCK gives a shit about a Nancy Drew game? Not the kind of people willing to shell out for it.

These things will work themselves out when people realize your product needs to be somewhat compelling to draw in people.

My main gripe is they are a VERY successful publisher. There's no way they need a Kickstarter to fund this sort of thing. It'd be like EA starting a Kickstarter for the Wii port of Madden. Fucking ridiculous.

Give us a quarter million dollars to make the same game we already made.

Oh, in this case it's more obvious, but there are cases of smaller companies/projects/whatever that are pretty much the same. Here's how I see it: if you'd be able to get the money from regular investors or just invest in it yourself, then kickstarter is just a way to not share your benefits with would-have-been investors, or to just get pure benefit from dollar 1 instead of having to cover the investment first, in the second case.
Like that fukken 3-D virtual reality glasses thingy. They got super-big guys in there (Gabe Newell, John Carmack... come on), they could have easily gotten huge investments from companies or individuals.

At the same time, it's also about getting investments from people who wouldn't have even been approached before, mainly because you didn't know they existed. Getting what are essentially pre-orders isn't wrong: The donator is taking the same risk they'd have taken ordering a triple A game, except they are getting input directly from the Devs as the game progresses. And hey... some people want more stuff. Putting down a hundred or more is kind of like ordering the deluxe edition of a game, except you get to choose what you get.

What you need to remember about investors is that they are investing to make money. If a guy gives you 100k, he's going to ask for a percentage of the profits, the rights to the franchise, or a million other little things that simply make it harder to create and later profit of your creation. If they only way you can finance your dream is to sell away your rights to it, what's the point? And really, that's the end game for publishers/investors: they want to own your franchise because they think it'll make a shitload of cash.

Kickstarter isn't just about financing the creation of games... it's also about giving artists the ability to retain the rights for their creations.

This is pretty much why I never bought into this "this will shake up the publishers!" argument when Kickstarting video games became a big thing.

Why wouldn't a publisher not want to crowd-source funding in exchange for the game and some swag? That's a lot easier than answering to actual shareholders...

O

Overflight

http://www.indiegogo.com/starshipcorp

While this looks ABSOLUTELY FRIGGIN AWESOME, I admit I am somewhat ambivalent in funding it since the creator wants to do a story mode based on friggin Atlas Shrugged if he reaches his third stretch goal. I guess you should give him money...but not TOO much. :p[DOUBLEPOST=1344981320][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, I had forgotten about this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digital-trading-card-game

Looks pretty neat. Reminds me of Kard Combat for iOS which also had Richard Garfield's involvement.